Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

True Confessions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True Confessions...

To all of you who worked so hard, or followed my thread a few weeks ago about MISSING DATA...I have found the problem - and it WASN'T ANYTHING THE IT DEPARTMENT WAS DOING! I have decided to confess to you, because the problem could come up again, here on the board. In fact, I think someone mentioned looking at posting operations...which is precisely what the problem was.

Briefly, the PACE ROSTER table contains 1 record per "client". The EDUCATION table can contain more than 1 record per "client". I had created a post in the field rules of the EDUCATION table, to post ENTER AND EXIT dates into the PACE ROSTER. I SHOULD HAVE created the post rule in the PACE ROSTER table! Get it?

Now - should I confess to my boss and the IT Dept? Actually, I have to - because to not confess would be deceiving, and that is not good for the soul...anyone have any great ideas of HOW I should go about confessing?

Wanda

RE: True Confessions...

Wow, I would bet you are the only one on here that's ever made a mistake! Hahahaha!! I am to the point that I know I made the mistake, just not sure how I made it. Hope you feel better now!!!! At least we have this board to help us through. What a group! I'm a slightly more than a novice at Alpha but the people on this board have been great and have helped me so much!

Comment

No, not the only one, I know...but I threw such a fit with IT, and swore that I had exhausted all possibilities of the problem being caused by my "programming"...now I have to eat my words, and they don't taste very good!

Wanda

Comment

Wanda:

You just have to thank them for all the efforts they made to find the problem, tell them that you yourself never gave up looking, hence the discovery of the solution; that putting the post operation where you did was logical (if wrong) and that you learned a huge amount about the inner workings of Alpha during the search and thank them for all the efforts ... you get the picture.

I think they will be pleasantly surprised and happy when you tell them. If they are not, they should be.

Finian
        Finian

Comment

Finian,
          Great suggestion :>)...except they DIDN'T OFFER ANY HELP, WHATSOEVER...but, you are right - perhaps they can appreciate the learning curve. At least I know my direct supervisor will appreciate the honesty - AND persevering to actually find the problem.

Thanks for the encouragement and advise...it is well taken!
          Wanda

Comment

Wanda,

Finnian has a great idea there but your DEMEANOR during the talk must be proper. You should....

1. Look apologetically down at the floor.
            2. As you speak, absent-mindedly scratch at the floor with one foot [as if you were outside kicking dirt].
            3. Look relatively pitiful. Then.....
            4. Tell 'em to cram it!

They might not like it but it might do wonders for you. It's worked for me in the past.

Ken

Comment

That's the way Wanda has always behaved, so it shouldn't be a problem.
              There can be only one.

Comment

NOT TRUE, STAN!!! I do not have to ACT guilty when I AM guilty! My one little ace in the hole is that I always said there's that very slight chance that it could be my "programming"...

I think I'll wait awhile and see if my dreams bring a vision of how I should ACT in this very sticky situation...well, I AM from California - that's what we Californian's do.

I still like Finian's answer the best - so there!

:))))))))))
                Wanda

Comment

Well, here's my facetious 2 cents worth.

Tell IT just how much you've appreciated they're time and efforts, as little as it was, because it forced you to spend a ton more time than necessary. Add to that the fussin' and fumin' that it caused you. Why, you now have an arsenal of choice words, quotes and demeanor that you wouldn't of had otherwise. Hey, why not throw a fit while you're telling them this to prove how good you've become?

Now on a serious note. Finian's got the right idea. But, I do like the bowed head and movin' the foot bit. Perhaps you could try putting your finger to your lips as your speaking. And again seriously, make your efforts to solve this sound positive and brag on how hard you worked to solve the problem, enlisting your resources, etc.

kenn
                  TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Well, Ken - I'm just going to take the slack like - well, not like a man - but not coy like so many women - I think if I present myself as Finian suggests, but leave out all the cute little coy stuff, I might just end up ACTING like a real developer! I think I've arrived, by George! Now, all I have to do is drum up the courage...I will tell my supervisor, tomorrow morning during our routine meeting...and then send an email to the IT Dept head...

I must ask again, though, if any of you will hire me if I lose this job! At least you know that I'm honest and I know how to design a post field rule - LOL! Oh - and I always have those EDB's for sale(Emergency Data Bags)!

TTFN! And to all a good night! - Wanda

Comment

So, does this coin the name, Wonderful Wanda or SHW = Simply Honest Wanda or SHHW = Simply Honest & Humble Wanda or WHO = Wanda the Honest One. In your email to IT, keep it vague and sign your name, WHO? Let'em figure it out.

Something like:

Ddear IT,

A while back there was an emanate of misplaced information. It was very hard to track down but, finally, after much investigation, the missing material has been located and put back in it�s proper place.

Thank you for your services,

WHO?

kenn
                      TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Great - I will blend your last post, Ken, with Finian's :) Courage is building, here :)

Thanks!
                        WHO

Comment

Wanda:
                          I keep a sign at my computer (the one I use for development). It says:
                          "COMPUTER ERRORS WILL NEVER FULLY REPLACE HUMAN STUPIDIY!"
                          Not one of us (developers) has been able to avoid making what, in retrospect are "stupid" errors. To display the sign is a constant reminder of just how hard we must work on a consistant basis, to provide the 99% successes we are knwon for.

Comment

My father taught me early on two important principles:

1. Do not lie.

2. Do not tell all that you know to be true unless asked.

So hope they do not ask :)

Tom Lyon

Comment

Thanks for the round-about encouragement...but, I prefer to use the term "humble ignorance" - it's a little softer and actually more accurate, don't you think?

I keep a sign at my desk that says, "Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that amateurs built the ark, and professionals built the Titanic!"

Indeed, trying the posting field rule was new to me...perhaps I was mistakenly thinking of myself as a bona-fide professional...at least I didn't build the Titanic and insist it was unsinkable!

HIWHO (Humbly Ignorant Wanda, the Honest One!)

Comment

Working...
                              X