Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Memo & Browse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memo & Browse

I searched around, but did not find anything on this issue.

I have a browse on a form and one of the fields is a memo field. I can read and write to this field with no problem, however, if I set the column to read only, the user cannot open the memo field to view the contents. All he can see of the memo is what is on the browse. Simply put, I'd like the user to be able to open and view the contents of the browse without being able to edit it. Any ideas?

RE: Memo & Browse

Here's something else I should add in. It seems that if I modify a memo field when in browse mode then save it, the entire contents of the memo field disappear.

Ideally, what I like to get to is one memo field, where users can add to the contents, but not modify the previous contents. Do I have to do this with code?

Comment

All he can see of the memo is what is on the browse. Simply put, I'd like the user to be able to open and view the contents of the browse without being able to edit it.

Instead of setting the column properties to read only, try setting the browse properties to read only. Then, I believe, you can view the memo.
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

It seems that if I modify a memo field when in browse mode then save it, the entire contents of the memo field disappear.

Something else must be going on. Is this an RTF memo?

Ideally, what I like to get to is one memo field, where users can add to the contents, but not modify the previous contents. Do I have to do this with code?

I think so. Maybe someone knows of a clever way to do it w/o code, but it doesn't occur to me.
        Peter
        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

No that won't work. Tried it already. I may have to do something with a pushbutton on the form or using doubleclick on row, or something along those lines. I'm just troubled that the memo contents disappear when they are viewed in browse. Is it supposed to work that way?

Comment

See my other message above.

I'm just troubled that the memo contents disappear when they are viewed in browse.

You mean dissapear from view, not dissapear all together?

Increase the display length to 255 or something. But, if there is a paragraph return in the memo, I don't think it will display. You have two choices:

1. Widen the vertical view of the memo by dragging the record selector on the left down. If you do this in edit mode it will remain permanent.

2. Put a memo field on the form next to the browse.
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Man, you are brilliant! I would never have thought of these things. Both are possible and, I will have to resort to them no doubt, but my question remains. BTW, I am using a named browse, not an embedded one, but it still remains the same. If you try and edit a memo field that is in the browse, it will not work and wipes out the entire contents of the memo. Is this the way it's supposed to work or am I doing something wrong?

Comment

If you try and edit a memo field that is in the browse, it will not work and wipes out the entire contents of the memo. Is this the way it's supposed to work or am I doing something wrong?

Something else must be going on. Is this an RTF memo? Your memo shouldn't wipe out. There was an issue with RTF memos in the past - but in my experience it revolved around embedded browses of child tables on conditional objects. It did no affect regular memo fields.

I just tried editing a memo in a named browse - nothing got wiped out, it worked as advertised.
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Not sure what you mean by RTF. I tried it again, same result. In fact, I even tried putting the memo's (as you suggested) next to the browse. If I edit the memo field itself directly, all is ok, but if I click on the pencil and try editing, everything gets wiped.

Comment

Charles, this is a long shot, but what portion of the memo text is 'selected' when the edit begins? Is any part of it shaded? If so, does your original text return if you press Escape and quit editing the memo field before saving it?

-- tom

Comment

None is shaded. Yes the memo contents reappear when I escape. I'm attaching a zip file so you can view what I am speaking about. Thanks!

Comment

I downloaded your files. I had no problem editing data - none was lost. Maybe you have to reinstall Alpha?
                        Peter
                        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

I also downloaded your file and the memo fields work as Peter describes. If you want them to view and not edit or add to it, check the filed properties Read Only box. If you want them to add to it but not edit it, I've not seen this discussed before.

Not saying it can't be done but I'd simply ask for some help that codes the field so that when the record is saved, it becomes read only and then make another record entry. That appears to me to be a lot easier.

kenn
                          TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Peter - thanks for the help. Did you try clicking on the pencil on the memo and try editing? That's where the problem comes in. Also, I did not send you the example of the memo field in a browse. Can someone tell me if this is supposed to work, because it does not.

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks Ken. No I haven't seen it discussed before either (i.e. adding to a memo without editing the previous part), but you may be on to something here. Perhaps what I need to do is create a type of transaction memo field that someone can add their message to, then save it into the previous memo field so it appends. I'm not sure how to go about doing that, but maybe someone out there has the answer.

Comment

Working...
                              X