Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

sets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sets

Thanks to those of you who reponded to my recent post, but I may not have explained my problem clearly.

1. I want to have a table to list all my patients, with data such as:
    name
    address
    birth date
    etc. (one record for each patient)
    I must be able to add records to this table independent of anything described below.

2. I want to have a table that lists various problems, such as:
    diabetes
    well child care
    hypertension
    etc. (one record for each problem)

3. I want a table or set that lists various follow-up items appropriate for each problem, such as:
    recheck in 3 months
    CBC
    Blood pressure
    etc. (several items for each proble)
    I want to be able to go to this table or set, choose a problem previously listed under item 2. (but be prevented from listing any new problems), and add as many follow-up items as I want.

4. I want to have a table or set which will allow me to pick any previously registered patient (but not add new ones), and add a record for each problem that that patient has and have the system add a record for each follow-up item for each problem.
    Records in this table or set might be like�

NAME PROBLEM FOLLOW-UP
    John Smith1 hypertension2 BP check every 3 months3
    John Smith1 hypertension2 Chem 7 every year3
    Ann Jones1 hypertension2 BP check every 3 months3
    Ann Jones1 hypertension2 Chem 7 every year3
    Ann Jones1 diabetes 22 HgbA1c every 2 months3
    Ann Jones1 diabetes 22 Ophthalmologist every year3

the superscripts indicate the tables from which items have been taken. This final table or set would then be used to create follow-up ticklers.

How do I do all that?

Conrad

RE: sets

Conrad,

If you're unfamiliar with the process of designing a relational database, using linked tables of related data, perhaps the best thing you could do would be to employ a qualified database consultant. It sounds to me like you have a pretty clear picture of what you want the system to be able to do, and that's a good first step. Some time spent with a designer would pay dividends even if you decide to build it yourself.

Having said that, if you want to attempt it on your own, I recommend you start small. Build one table and get it working exactly the way you want, then add one related table at a time, testing thoroughly as you go. Count on making mis-steps which will have to be re-done. It's part of the learning curve your database consultant has already climbed.

-- tom

Comment

Conrad:

Tom's is precisely right. What you're asking is WHAT WE DO! For either ourselves or a client we start with a plan, much as yours, and start building the tables we need to collect and store the data. During that process we make sure to have common fields in each table for the links we'll need in the sets that will follow.

As Tom suggests, a lot of it is trial and error - something the industry prefers to call 'debugging'.

Keep experimenting - one day it will come together. And you'll be richer from the experience.

Ken

Comment

Hi Conrad,

What you are looking for already exists. There are not only doctors using Alpha in their offices, but at least one of the top Alpha programmers, and author of several important books on Alpha programming is a doctor: Dr. Peter Wayne.

You should go to the Alphasoftware.com site and look for the list of consultants. Any application used in a doctor's office, regardless the specialty, would need much less adjustments than to begin from scratch.

An additional benefit to looking at a finished, working product would be that you would gain some ideas you haven't thought of, although you do seem to be pretty clear in what you want.

Last point: From what I can see from your post, I can assure you that all of it can be designed in Alpha in a simple step by step manner.

All the best,

TR

Comment

"Physician Heal Thyself!" Apparently, you are trying to be your own programmer without the years of knowledge and expertise required. Much like some of us on the board self-diagnosing, and self-medicating........not a good idea!

Comment

Now, Now, John:

I don't think that is quite fair.

Sometimes reinventing the wheel is justified, if only because after having done so you really understand wheels and are able to deal with all the problems your wagons throw at you.

So if somebody wants to do it, more power to them. And as we all know the strength of A5 is that we can do for ourselves.

The advice has been good. Start slow, build in small pieces, and test as you go. Above all, read.

And when you get stuck post a question to the board.]

Bill
            Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

I agree with a lot of what has been said. I needed a solution years ago and went with Alpha 4 eventually running a business with Alpha 4V6. Having designed the app I can do things with it that I wouldn't get from a program some other company built. that said there is a learning curve. Eventually, with the help of the amazing people here on the board I think I got pretty good at Alpha 4. Now I'm starting all over in Alpha 5 and plan to redo the whole thing in A5 with lots of added features. To me it's worth it since I enjoy it and its sort of my hobby even though I'm really a neophyte in A5. (My wife thinks I'm nuts as do many others, oh well)
              If you have the tenacity and time to learn it I think you'll find Alpha 5, especially v5, worth the effort - and like I said this board is pretty unique. I don't know of too many support boards or newsgroups with the kind of participation, understanding and handholding offered here.
              Sooo -- if you're up to it give it a go....You may or may not end up with what you want but you'll sure learn a lot in the process.

My 2 cents
              Russ

Comment

Hi again everybody,

You know what is missing in all this advice? I think if we polled this board we would find out that many, if not most of the programmers are busy with some other primary vocation.

So why are we all spending so much time with Alpha? The following may be two very strong points for the PR team:

1. We realize that with Alpha even amateurs can relatively easily get what they need in data processing, in ways they could never get by purchasing a program that they cannot tweak themselves. It's frustrating to try to get a programmer who knows nothing about your business to understand the exact detail you are seeking.

2. Maybe this is the most overlooked and important strength of Alpha, and much more so with the upcoming v5. It is VERY ENJOYABLE, RELAXING AND SATISFYING to design solutions to solve your problems and overcome various challenges, and then watch your own handiwork perform beautifully. We then keep tweaking and tweaking, and get excited when an upgrade comes out that addresses our own requests. We ourselves are subconsciously overlooking this hidden pleasure as the reason for actually choosing this work as a hobby.

Curious how others feel about this.

All the best,

TR

Comment

Conrad,

You might want to give this a try;

Create following child tables with required fields plus a linking field

Patient_Table: (field1,field2,... etc., patient_num[the link field])

Diagnosis_table: (field1, field2, ... etc., diag_code[again the link field])

treatment_table: (field1, field2, ... etc., treat_code)

Then create the parent table

Master_table: (patient_num,diag_code,treat_code, "other as needed")

Create a set linking the children on a one to one level. Create a form showing the various fields to display. In the field rules for the master_table create lookups for the child linking fields and have the lookup values display (i.e patient_table->patients_name) but only fill the linking field (i.e. patient_table->patient_num; filling master_table->patient_num).

You might have to play around with it but I think this will give you what you want. Good Luck

Comment

"without the years of knowledge and expertise required"

So John, how do you get all those years of experience w/o starting at square one?

Peter

P.S. to Conrad - don't do what I did (i.e. learn the hardway). Take the sound advice of the many experts on this board. It may prevent you from having to rebuild your app the "right way" years later, as I have been forced to!
                    Peter
                    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Thanks, John Walsh for some specific advise. Thanks TR for the encouragement. I could do what I want to do on Alpha4, but Alpha5 confusing. I'll let folks know how it goes.

Comment

Why not? If he wants to spend the ime learning, etc., I think it's a great idea. On the other hand, if he's limited by time, a consulant WILL be needed. Eitehr way, he wins, one win will simply take longer than the other.

kenn
                        TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Tovia,

WELL SAID!!

kenn
                          TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

You will need to build several sets. The beauty of sets is that once you have your information in distinct tables, you can arrange and attach them in whatever fashion you NEED.

You need a form built on the patient table for patient entry/edit.

you need a form built on the patient->diagnosis set fo diagnosis entry/edit.

you will need another form built on the patient->diagnosis->follow-up set

What I am getting at here is that you need to create sets for distinct purposes. Don't try to do EVERYTHING in one set or table. Modularity is the key to flexibility.

Good Luck,

Tom

Comment

Amen

Russ

Comment

Working...
                              X