Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Network Update Refresh Timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network Update Refresh Timing

Periodically, I notice what appears to be network refreshing occuring on my network within A5. This happens each 19 seconds and the cursor shows as an hourglass for 2-3 seconds when it occurs.I've watched the trace window and can see no correlation with OnTimer events, of which there are several firing during that time. Sometimes, the cursor only changes to an hourglass for an instant and other times is more persistent. I have my network refresh interval set at 1 minute. I can bank on seeing the cursor change every 19 seconds, just like clockwork with no pun intended.

Do others see anything similar in their networked applications? Our network is 100base full duplex and normally very fast. A5 *does not* exhibit slow behavior when this situation occurs, other than the annoying cursor hourglass. Any insight would be appreciated.

Oh, and I have tried to isolate various forms, etc. Even with just the database loaded with no forms loaded, no autoexec script executed and no events firing I am seeing the same behavior.

Tom Lyon

RE: Network Update Refresh Timing

Have you checked the network refresh setting (database/control panel/View/Settings)? I have it set to 0, leaving the refresh to OnTimer events where needed.

Finian
    Finian

Comment

I changed the network refresh timer from 1 minute to 0 seconds. Seems to have no effect on what I am seeing. I will say that as soon as all the workstations log off of A5, the effect is greatly diminished, even to the point of being nearly undetectable.

Tom Lyon

Comment

Tom,

You say the frequency appears unrelated to the scripted ontimer events? I'd experiment with removing them one at a time just to verify that there isn't some process running on purpose that's escaped your attention. -- tom

Comment

Tom,
          If you haven't already, try playing around with the virus protection software on the local machines to see if that has any part in what's happening.
          John

Comment

Tried that. Opened up just the database with no forms, no autoexec, etc. Same result.

Tom Lyon

Comment

No A/V running. Using server-level A/V software.

Tom Lyon

Comment

Tom,

Are you saying this happens while you watch the Alpha Five control panel?

If so, wouldn't that suggest that the operating system is taking charge to work on some other chore in the background?

-- tom

Comment

Thought about that one, too. But when closing A5, the behavior disappears. One telling sign that A5 is the culprit is that the cursor only changes to hourglass every 19 seconds when in an A5 window. Otherwise, it is not discernable.

I wonder if it has something to do with the number of workstations accessing the database? Certainly there must be some overhead associated with each connection to the file server. I am beginning to think this is the case and have been able to watch the problem grow as more workstations log onto A5. Having just added one station a week or so ago makes me think there could be some sort of network issue occuring.

Tom Lyon

Comment

Tom,

If the network itself is doing some work and Alpha Five is the only app you have that's using the network that might explain why the problem goes away when you shut down Alpha Five.

-- tom

Comment

Normally have 8-10 other tasks going at the same time. Again, as I mentioned, if just one station is logged onto A5, the problem doesn't occur nearly as noticeably. When all 8 stations are logged on, it is very noticeable.

Tom Lyon

Comment

Tom,

Depending on which operating system you're using, perhaps this is related somehow to the reports from some users concerning 100% cpu usage. Search for message threads on powermon

-- tom

Comment

A5 will grab 100% cpu just by being loaded. I've gone over that many times to no avail. I also have tried powermon. It slows the overall performance down significantly, but it does reduce the 'reported' system load. As I mentioned earlier, we have no problems running A5 otherwise..queries are snappy, finds are nice and crisp..it's just that annoying hourglass that sometimes gets in the way every 19 seconds. Personally, I am guessing there is some sort of routine internal to A5 that is being used for some purpose unknown to us users.

Another fun fact discovered today - all workstations exhibit the exact same behavior at the exact same time. How odd.

Tom Lyon

Comment

I used to see this - until I began using the shadow. You are shadowed, eh?
                            Peter
                            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Tom, I have had the same experience routinely with all the V5Beta builds, although, not as often ("every 19 seconds") as you. This may be a result of my single user system. I have no idea what is causing it; like yourself, I suspected the network refresh, but ruled that out. In one build release, there was a mention that V5 "was checking the state of the Database" whatever that may entail. This may be the culprit.

Comment

Working...
                              X