Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

select printer with Xbasic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

select printer with Xbasic

1) Can anyone suggest idea in controlling the choice of printers during a printing session.

I have reports that must be printed on a cretain printer in the network. This has been working well and serve the purpose ie: a certain critical report would automatically be printed on a special manager printer for their immediate attention.

Therefore some of these report(s) when created would have the printer choice permanently attached to the property of such report(s) and do not involved user intervention and perhaps even without their knowledge.
    (example.. when user perform a "scrap" or "destry" a certain piece of equipment during the process of equipment repair. This automatically produce a "death certificate" for the management to file away in real time. THe manager may choose to walk over to the plant to view such action in almost real time.

The trouble comes, when such printer name or availability of printer change within the management office changed. Non of my special report will ever print again, unless you and I physically go back into our Alpha's report property to alter it to the new printer name.

I can think of using the "default" setting to perform such
    function. But some of the workstation does have their own lable printer attached and usually set for default already.
    Thus this idea not always working.

I am curious if there is such a xbasic command that I can alter the property of any report(s) on the fly to direct it to a "printer name with path and network name etc".

IF that is possible, I simply have to set up a parameter table for user to configure, this would simplify and make the application more adaptable or "supportable" without having to go back to the design of such reports.

2) Similarly, is there way to eliminate the "prompt" message window o show the printing action or pages sorted thru during a printing session ? I really meant that small grey window size 2x3 with counter... Would ui_freeze(.t.) do the trick here ?

Your assistance(s) in the above situation is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Ken Tjia
    AM/PM Service LTD CANADA

RE: select printer with Xbasic

Hi Ken

You can specify the printer for each individual document. In design mode: Select properties; Select Printer Tab; Select radio button to specify Printer. Hope this helps.

Keith Hubert
    London.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Hi to both of you.

I believe we will have to wait for version 5 to control the printer dynamically using Xbasic methods. I do not believe it can be done in 4.5.

Bill
      Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Have you tried checking the box "Show printer setup at print" in the report properties tab/Pinter.

This will then let the user select a printer at time of printing.

Tom

Comment

I think the printing progress window you desire to eliminate is generated by Windows and not by A5. I, too, would like to eliminate that window, as it serves no purpose other than letting the user know that there is a print job in progress.

As others have noted, the next version of A5 may offer much more control of printers via XBasic than now exists in V4.

Tom Lyon

Comment

this i know..but truly there is no reason to allow user to even know there is a print job in progress..

thus this idea do not apply. thanks

Comment

Here's a short term workaround...

Since it sounds like this particular report is very simple, you could try this:

Instead of printing a report, copy a formatted text file to the target printer.

Process Outline:
              I. Create a formatted text file containing the information to be printed. (This will serve as the report.)

II. Execute a batch file (minimized) that copies the text file from its current location to the specified printer. For example.... sys_shell("copyprn.bat",2)

The copyprn.bat would contain something like this:
              copy c:hotfolderdeathCert.txt FILESERVERXerox4517

Note: Both deathCert.txt and copyprn.bat can be created at runtime from previously dimmed variables.

III. After executing the batch file, close the window titled "Finished - copyprn"
              For example...
              sleep(1)
              sys_focus_put("Finished - copyprn")
              sys_send_keys("{ALT-F4}")

All this would happen quickly and almost invisibly.

Comment

Sorry... the forum stripped the backslashes in the previus message.
                The copyprn.bat contains the filespec for the text file followed by a space, then the UNC path of the networked printer.
                I'll try regular slashes for illustration....

copy c:/hotfolder/deathCert.txt //FILESERVER/Xerox4517

Comment

Jerry,

Your idea might work and I am going to investigate this old-method of direct printing to see if this is usable.

Will comment back in 48 hours.

Ken Tjia

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X