Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Having some problems with a5v5 beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having some problems with a5v5 beta

Hi,

I have an application I have been building in A5V4.5. When I tried using a copy in A5V5 beta, some of my filtered table lookups in different forms are misbehaving. After I make my selection, I have to click on the OK button twice in order to fill the field. Some of my other filtered table lookups are just fine. I can't distinguish any differences between the way I defined the lookups, so I don't know why some always require a double-click and the others always work with one click.

Has anyone else noticed this problem? What steps should I take to try to determine the cause?

Also, I have a dialog form to edit memos (while the memo editor is disabled). This doesn't work in the beta version either. I can open the form and I can get the cursor on the form, but I can't enter any information. Nothing that I type goes into the form. I borrowed this idea from Jerry Brightbill's "Memotest.zip" file that was posted on this forum in the past. When I opened his sample forms, the same thing happened. I could not enter any information into the dialog form.

Thanks for any help!

Sincerely,
    Robin Sculthorpe

RE: Having some problems with a5v5 beta

Robin,

If you are having a problem with something that works in v4.5 but not the beta and can establish a scenario that repeats the error, zip up a copy of the problem tables or database along with explicit directions on how to duplicate and send it to [email protected].

I have tested the memo concept in V5 and have run into a problem that is not an a5v5 problemm, but is caused by a problem that existed in v4.5. V4.5 would allow you to do things that were slightly incorrect. V5 will not. I will post a corrected memotest.zip as soon as I can.

Jerry

Comment

Robin,

I have tested the memo test attached in A5V5 and it works correctly. Upzip the table and attach it to any database. The problem I was having was with a variation of this table setup.

Jerry

Comment

Selwyn has often advised that before working on an app with v5 beta, make and use the copy. When you alter a form in v5, you cannot use it in v4.5. Perhaps you knew this and it may or may not have anything to do with your problem.

kenn
        TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

I have also had problems with filtered lookups in the beta, I don't think they are quite working yet.

russ

Comment

There is another issue when using beta software. Since the program is constantly being changed and updated, be sure you are using the latest build version.

Jerry

Comment

To all,

Thanks for all your responses.

I will download again to get the latest build to see if the filtered table lookups will behave any better. And if they don't, I will try to pare down my database size and zip it up and send to Selwyn.

I will try out Jerry's new sample for the memo dialog. (Thanks to you, Jerry, for taking the time to fix it.)

Yes, I did know to only use copies of my database with v5 beta, thanks, to previous messages on this forum! All of you have probably saved me from untold grief and also, probably, the cost of a bottle of Motrin!

Thanks again!

Sincerely,
              Robin Sculthorpe

Comment

Robin,

Attached is a filtered lookup that seems to work fine in A5V5. I use a couple different methods for filtered lookups, including complex filters, and have not yet seen a problem, although I have not tested all of them.

Jerry

Comment

Hi,

I think I have finally figured out why some of my filtered tablelookups pop up twice in the beta version. It happens with filtered lookups which use "popup on mismatch". When I make my selection, after hitting the "OK", the lookup pops up again and I have to hit "OK" again. This option worked fine in version 4.5. In the beta version, once I changed the option to "force closest match", the popup worked as I wanted it to. Is this probably a bug?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Sincerely,
                  Robin Sculthorpe

Comment

Hi again,

I tried to duplicate my problem using Jerry's lookup example, but changing the option to "popup on mismatch" didn't cause the same problem in his example. There must be a combination of things going on that's causing the problem in my database.

Robin

Comment

Hi,

Actually, "force closest match" doesn't seem to be working completely correctly either. After I make my choice and hit "OK", a different value (not my chosen one) is getting placed in the field. I tried rebuilding indexes. Is this working in the beta version? It doesn't appear to be rebuilding.

Robin

Comment

Robin

Looking at other posts, it appears that there are still some lookup problems (bugs) in the beta version. If the problem still exists in the newest update (currently 1067) and you can create an example, zip up the example with instructions on how to duplicate the problem and send it to [email protected]. Perhaps the next build will fix your problems.

Jerry

Comment

Hi,

I zipped up an example of my application with a lookup table using the option "pop up on mismatch" and emailed it to Selwyn. He verified that the problem was a bug and would be fixed. Hurray!

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Sincerely,
                          Robin Sculthorpe

Comment

Working...
                          X