Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

All icons greyed out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All icons greyed out

I have an application "Passes" on a client's network. The client upgraded their network with a new server and the persons doing the upgrade moved my application from network drive "P:" to network drive "N:". When I try to pull up the application I get only greyed out icons. If I go to design mode, I get the message that the database cannot be found and it tells me that it is looking in the "P:" directory, which is no longer available. How do I direct the program to look in the N: directory?
    Howard

RE: All icons greyed out

"When I try to pull up the application " - do you mean by desktop shortcut?

You probably need to edit the shortcut to point to the new drive.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Stan, I meant that when I select the application from the drop down list after loading A5v4. It isn't selected from an icon on the desktop. Somewhere within the application is the path to "P:" and I don't know how to get rid of it or change it to "N:".
      Howard

Comment

Howard,

Are you trying to open the app on a network optimized work station? If you are, you will have to rerun Network optimization to remap the application to the correct server path.

Jerry

Comment

Jerry, I copied all of the files in the application folder that resides on the server and brought them to my office. When I try to load the application in my office, I get the same results. I can see the tables and the set but they are greyed out. I think you are correct that this has to do with network optimization but how do I fix it? I tried loading the application by going directly to the server, using the "N:" drive, where it now resides. I get the same results. I am about to look at all of the files in "debug" to find the string that contains the path to the "P:" drive and change it to "N:". It would help if I knew what file had the path stored in it. I am beginning to think that the problem is something stupid that I just overlooked.
          Howard

Comment

Howard,

Some basic random thoughts.

1. Have you checked that the files are not set as read only
            2. Is the network path set as read only.
            3. When you loaded the files on your computer, did you try to open the app directly from the file open command.
            4. In the server upgrade, was the application moved on the server to a different directory.
            5. Have you tried to open the app directly from the server.
            6. Are all of the tables in the same directory on the server as the application files (adb, alm, etc.) It is good practice to keep everything together in the same directory. If they are not, and the directory structure has changed, you will have to open the app on the server, drop each table, and add them again from wherever they are now.

The only reason all icons are grayed out is because Alpha can not find the tables. Something in your setup on the server has changed in addition to the network drive letter. If that is the only change, you should be able to go to the new drive letter and open the app on the server. It will be slow, but it should open.

Jerry

Comment

Thanks for your rapid response...In answer to your questions
              #1 - Not read only
              #2 - Network path OK. Problem repeats at office, not on net
              #3 - Yes, I tried to open it directly
              #4 - Yes, that's what started the problem
              #5 - Yes, but it still thinks the files are on drive "P:"
              #6 - Yes, I always keep all of the files in the same dir.
              I am ready to wipe out all traces of the application and start over. I should be able to recover the tables associated with the database with no problem. Only problem then is regenerating the data input form, which was a bit complex.
              Thanks again
              Howard

Comment

Howard,

It may be as simple as selecting File, Open Database, from the control panel menu, and then browsing to the new folder. (Instead of using the recently used list presented on startup).

-- tom

Comment

Tom, I have already tried what you suggested. Thanks anyhow. This morning I pulled out the tables and made a new set and data entry form. It didn't take as long as I expected. Must go and install it this morning. I still wonder what happened but will probably never find out since I deleted all files pertaining to that database from my computer and all removeable media!
                  Subject closed.
                  Howard

Comment

Howard,

Although you have resorted to rather drastic steps, which will only work if the app is very simple, there is one other issue that someone else may run into in these cases.

How the data and program was swapped to the new server can be an issue. If they used an image file, the Alpha installation may be incorrect. Alpha uses the Windows registry to store settings, such as file locations, path information, etc. If the registry settings have changed, you may need to reinstall Alpha5 on the server to get the registry settings correct so that the server version will run correctly.

Also, as many have said before - backup - backup - backup. You can always restore or copy a backup that worked.

Jerry

Comment

Jerry, the rebuild and reinstall is complete, up and running. I did not do the swap when the new server was installed and was not "on site" at the time. I believe that it was a simple copy operation from the old server to the new one. I preach backup but as you may know, it seems that no one listens. Backups take time and there is always "something else to do". I can only recommend that they do it. Anyway, they did backup to tape on the original server but the new server does not have the capability to read tapes!!??? Since I am not up to speed beyond Windows ME, I would hesitate to even look at the registry on the new server, which is running Windows whiz bang, or some such program. Thanks again for the help.
                      Anxiously awaiting version 5,
                      Howard

Comment

Working...
                      X