Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

File will not open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

File will not open

Database will not open on new computer.
    I am running Alpha 5v4 and am transferring files to a new computer by burning CDs. Each of my databases will open on the new computer except one. They all open on the old computer. All I get is a dimmed-out default icon with the name underneath. No icons for forms, browses etc. I tried copying the .dbf file to a new folder and when I double click on it get the message, �Unexpected file format.� It also will not open from previous backup CDs and from a floppy I copied the files to. It will open in the old computer but always the same results on the new one.
    As a last resort, I burned a new disc and did not close it so that it could be written to. The database opens from the CD on the old machine but returns the same results as before on the new computer.
    Is there a fix or will I have to re-enter all my data?
    Frank Mills

RE: File will not open

Frank,

Three things come quickly to mind.

1) Verify that the entire collection of database files is no longer marked 'read only' after the transfer from CD. As others have noted, many CD burners automatically set the read only attribute when creating a CD.

2) View the 'details' of the tables in your misbehaving database. Since they're showing 'dimmed out' it's likely Alpha Five is expecting to find them in a different folder than that in which the database itself now resides. You may have to copy the tables to the new database folder and 'add' them to the database all over again. This kind of problem results when the original database includes tables that are located in folders different from that in which the database, itself, lives.

3) An error may have occurred in the process of burning the CD.

-- tom

Comment

Tom,
      Thanks for your prompt reply to my problem. I followed your suggestions and none of the files was �read only.�
      I added the .dbf file to the existing database with the dimmed out icon and the default icon displayed OK and all forms, browses etc. The only problem is that when I attempt to open any of them the message, �Unable to find or open memo field� is displayed.
      Can you fix this one?
      Frank

Comment

Hi Frank,
        Your transferred copy is missing the .fpt file(s) which are the memo files. Copy those over too and all should be well.

Mick

Comment

Mick,
          Thanks for your suggestion about the .FPT files. Each of my databases is in its own folder and there is no .FPT file in the problem program on the old or new computer. However, it opens OK on the old computer.
          I searched my C drive for .FPT files and the only one I found with the correct name was in an Alpha 4 folder. I copied it into the new computer with no positive results. I found a file, shared.fpt, and copied it in also with no results.
          Apparently, it is finding the correct .fpt file somewhere in another folder. If this theory is correct, is there a way to find the path?
          Frank

Comment

Frank,

On the old computer it's possible to get the details showing the path to each table that's in a database using the Alpha Five control panel.

Select the Tables and Sets tab page, and then right click on white space in the tabbed object. Select View, and then Details.

-- tom

Comment

Tom,
              I've tried to find a .FPT file to allow me to open my database without success.
              The basic question is, "If a database with a memo field will open without a .FPT file on one computer, why won't it open without a .FPT file on another computer?"
              Frank

Comment

Frank,

I'm at a loss to explain what you are reporting.

It's odd that the only FPT which you found was in the Alpha Four directory. Alpha Four uses DBT files for memo data, not FPT files.

When Alpha Five reads a DBT file for the first time it saves it as a new FPT file.

The presence of the FPT file in your alpha Four directory suggests that part of your original (old) database is mapped to the Alpha Four folder. This can be verified by checking the details for each table in the problem database, as I have outlined previously. If my surmise is correct I suggest that you copy the DBF, CDX, and FPT files out of the alpha four folder and store them in the folder where your alpha five database resides. Then 'drop' the table from your database. Then 'add' your table to the database, being careful to refer to the copy that now lives in your database folder. This should remove the hard coded path which probably now is present in your database dictionary. Your database should work normally on the old machine when this is finished. I suggest that you verify that. Then copy the entire database to your new machine.

It's imperative that you create safety backups of the problem database before undertaking this suggested solution. Since I'm not there at your workstation I'm making some assumptions about the existing situation, and they may be wrong.

-- tom

Comment

Tom,
                  I have tried all of your suggestions within the limits of my computer knowledge but still cannot open my database.
                  After searching all .FPT files on my old computer C: drive the only one with an appropriate name was in Alpha4V4 folder, as I reported previously. After copying the file into the folder on my new computer without success, I made a folder Alpha4V4 and copied the .FPT file into it, thinking that that was the path it was looking for. That did not work.
                  Lastly, I deleted the .FPT file to the recycle bin, leaving no .FPT files with a name appropriate to the problem database anywhere on my old computer. It still opens and displays the memo field.
                  Thanks for the time you spent on this. I decided to print everything from the old computer and re-enter it on the new one.
                  Frank

Comment

Working...
                  X