Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Buttons not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buttons not working

I wrote months ago about a problem with buttons on a form not working correctly and I still haven't got it fixed. I think the problem is related to how the relationship of the form changes as its used. When you open the form directly all buttons work. But when the table the form is attached to is opened for lookup and then a user decides to add/edit an entry on-the-fly, this form opens but is now probably a child rather than a parent as when opened directly. In this "role" the buttons return xbasic errors. I'm attaching a demo app to see what I mean. If anyone can re-code the buttons so they work in both roles I'd sure appreciate it.

To see what I mean, dl the attachment, then open the customer form & try the buttons; then open the Job Info form and when you get to the customer field do the lookup and then click the change button and when the form opens, try the buttons now.

Thanks for taking a look at this...

Bill

RE: Buttons not working

the job info table was empty
    when I added two records to it I could toggle back and forth and all worked okay
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    [email protected]

Comment

Bill:

When the form is opened from the change button, it is being opened as a dialog box reflecting (by design) only the record you clicked on to change. As such, the 'next', 'previous', and and 'change to table view' buttons will never work.

For this reason, I might create an exact copy of the customer form using it strictly for the lookup form called for in the field rules. You could then leave off the buttons that won't work in the situation mentioned in paragraph one.

To make the other three buttons work, change the words 'parent' and 'topparent' to ':customer' on the action scripts for those three buttons... The dialog form isn't recognized as the parent or topparent, and by using ':customer', you are directly identifying the form in your declaration. Of course, if you use my suggestion in the second paragraph, you will need to change ':customer' to ':thenameofyourlookupformhere'.

I hope this helps. I've never considered myself a great author, and my instructions often leave people scratching their heads. This is probably no exception!

Craig

Comment

Craig,

Thanks for your ideas about duplicating the forms - I did that and things work much better. This app has 8 table lookups where users can pick from other lists, but also get in and edit/all on-the-fly so it took a bit of time. Beyond fixing the error msgs. it was a good opportunity to clean up/standardize the lookup forms. Your explanation of the form being used as a "lookup dialog" cleared up much of my misunderstanding about what was going on. I think my customers will be happy to not see the error msgs. anymore also. But, they do prefer viewing/working with their data in a browse table rather than a form (they used to do all of their work in spreadsheets), but I'll encourage them to update inventory, customers, etc. from direct access via the main menu rather than while entering a new docket.

I do have some other questions that are related to this tho...
        - I wound up creating 8 add'l lookup forms; what kind of "overhead" does this add to an application?
        - button behavior is what I consider to be weird or less than perfect in just about every app I've developed and even in samples that I've downloaded from the Phorum. Record nav. buttons are a good example: often I get complaints from users that a single click on a First/Last/Prev/Next Rec. button will work, but the next single click won't. They must click it again to get the advance. Sometimes even a third click. I've not paid much attention to button behavior during devel. but I am now as I hear a fairly steady stream of minor complaints about it. Now that I'm looking, sure enough that's what is going on. I see it across a wide variety of systems (PII-300's w/64mb up to P4 or AMD 1800's with 512mb), so it looks like either something I'm doing as I devel., or it's A5's std. behavior. But I always just use the button genie which is mainly canned action scripts or very simple xbasic code. Any ideas about what causes this and what's a fix?

Again, thanks for your suggestions and info.

Bill

Comment

Martin,

It sounds to me like you where just looking at the first level of lookups from the Job Info form. The problem I was working on was what happened after you brought up, for instance, a lookup based on a related table (customer.dbf) and then, while in that lookup table, decided you want to change something about a specific entry in that table or wanted to add a new customer to the lookup table. If you then click on the Change button at the top right of the lookup window then another window opens which is the Customer form (not the job info form). The buttons on that form return xbasic error msgs. Craig's answer explained why and has the fix.

Bill

Comment

Bill:

There is no 'overhead' in having several forms, whether some are variants of others or not.

The only cost is on the developer's end, as changes done to one may need be done to it's cousin form. You probably want to be consistant in the naming of the lookup forms, so the can easily be identified by the developer.

I can't think of many cases where you would need two almost identical forms. Your case, with using the field rule lookup, is one. There are ways to call the exact same form using XBasic to hide the non-functional buttons, the on arrive event, global variables, etc., but I see no point in doing all that when the end result will be the same with less work required on the developer's end.

As far as your customer's are concerned, that's not really the best place to do maintenance on the lookup table, other than for the lookup record from which they are acquiring data from at that time. It seems to me that, when entering data, the operator should focus on one record at a time, do it well, and the move on to the next record. Stopping in the middle of entering a record to do a lot of maintenance on another table is inviting a higher than normal level of data entry errors, at least by my mindset!

If your customer insists that you set it up their way, it can be done, but at a much higher cost to them.

Bill, as far as the button issue, I'd need to see an example. I can assure you that working buttons are possible, though. If you post an example, I or someone else will take a look. Action scripting is great, as is the script recorder, but some fine tuning is sometimes needed...

Craig

Comment

Craig,

Editing or adding info on the fly is typical in everything I've ever done and in this case I think it's appropriate. This is a job cost module that pulls line items into a child table/embedded browse which gets its prices from g-child inventory table (operations or materials). The relationship looks like this >> [Dockets.dbf]======[Ink_Costs.dbf]-----[Inks.dbf]. Right in the middle of entering, for instance, a ink line item for Black, AT11487 the user notices that the price is out-dated. Instead of exited the main form and returning to the main menu to access the form for Editing/Adding Inks, she hits the change button and does it on the fly, then accepts the item into the embedded browse and finishes by putting in the amt used, then the line item cost field calc's on the correct amt. I think that's pretty typical behavior in QB or Peachtree, esp. when the user is the person who also maintains the price lists. I realize in companies that have back office staff that maintains the inventory/price updates, this is not appropriate, but we're talking about a small office staff here. The app also has a Quote module that I've just started to setup for the sales staff. This will share the same inventory tables and we're talking about how much access to give them in regards to updating prices or adding new items. My pref. is to have 1 person maintaining the inventory tables (the woman doing the job costing), but limit sales to just lookups. Buttttttttttttttttttt, they're not liking that so far. The compromise will probably be one where I'll wind up setting up granular user rights and then give the head of sales access to updates but not the other reps. It's a small family-owned printing co. with little staff turnover and everyone is very "trusted." Real different than my med. practice customers.

Thanks for you ideas about this.

Bill

Comment

You said:
                "Editing or adding info on the fly is typical in
                everything I've ever done and in this case I think it's appropriate. This is a
                job cost module that pulls line items into a child table/embedded browse which
                gets its prices from g-child inventory table (operations or materials). The
                relationship looks like this "" [Dockets.dbf]======[Ink_Costs.dbf]-----[Inks.dbf].
                Right in the middle of entering, for instance, a ink line item for Black,
                AT11487 the user notices that the price is out-dated. Instead of exited the main
                form and returning to the main menu to access the form for Editing/Adding Inks,
                she hits the change button and does it on the fly, then accepts the item into
                the embedded browse and finishes by putting in the amt used, then the line item
                cost field calc's on the correct amt. I think that's pretty typical behavior in
                QB or Peachtree, esp. when the user is the person who also maintains the price
                lists."

I Said:
                "As far as your customer's are concerned, that's not
                really the best place to do maintenance on the lookup table, other
                than for the lookup record from which they are acquiring data from at that time."

This is typical and expected. Your example indicates
                exactly what I was saying. However, your customer lookup form had
                'Next', Prev', and 'Change to table view' buttons. These buttons would
                allow the entry person to "lose focus" from the CHILD record she is
                trying to fill in. This is why A5 opens your lookup form, or their own
                default lookup form, as a dialog box. By doing so, focus is maintained on
                the CHILD record that the LOOKUP record fills in.
                You said:
                "I realize in companies that have back
                office staff that maintains the inventory/price updates, this is not
                appropriate, but we're talking about a small office staff here."

Bill, I don't think the size of the company is
                relevant, this is more a process of logical procedure. If
                "Christine" has ten price changes, It makes sense, to me at any rate,
                for her to change those 10 prices as soon as possible, and not while 'on the
                fly'. By changing those ten prices right away, she assures all future
                child records will be filled in from the lookup correctly. 'On the fly' is
                always available, but it should be your 'second line of defense' in accurate
                data entry. 'On the fly' should be done on a line by line basis, again, in
                my opinion. Hence, no need for the three buttons 'Next',
                Prev', and 'Change to table view'. I would have a separate button on the
                application to allow access to your form with the three
                buttons, and this would be the place I would
                encourage general maintenance to be done.
                In your current plan, I believe that Christine, in order to
                change those ten prices, must start data entry in a completely different table,
                go to the lookup field, open the lookup form, and make the ten price
                changes. This just doesn't seem like the right time and place for general
                maintenance.
                You said:
                "The app also has a Quote module that I've just
                started to setup for the sales staff."

That's funny! Just started one of those myself this
                week!
                On re-reading my post above, what I was saying is clear to me,
                but perhaps, by the way I write, others interpret my words differently. I
                apologize if this was the case, as you obviously spent a lot of time posting an
                example that illustrated what I was saying, more or less.
                Have a great weekend!
                Craig

Comment

Working...
                X