Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

kernel32.dll error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kernel32.dll error

I use Alpha5 V4.5 in a network. When one station tried to "refresh" the database, it got an invalid page fault in kernel32.dll error. The error message stays on the screen and am unable to clear it without rebooting the computer. Everything I tried made no difference. I installed A5 V4.5 over the old one and that didn't help. I uninstalled A5 and reinstalled from scratch. That cleared the problem for one week. Now, it's back again. Today, two other computers on the network started doing the same thing. I never got this error with V4.03 and V4.5 worked fine for a couple months before this error came up.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem? I'm pulling my hair out and there ain't much left.
    Jim Belanger

RE: kernel32.dll error

Kernel32 is a memory problem. Go here to find out a little more

http://www.all-windows.com/kernel32.html

Something in the A5 optimize is causing that the error, but it's like looking for a needle in a haystack sometimes. Think back of anything that may have changed recently (calculations, forms, etc.) and check those first.

Good luck.
    Mick

Comment

One machine having a problem on an app that has been running a long time can happen, several machines seems like something more systemwide is happening.

First, after backing up, compact the database. Check the trace window to see if there are any messages.

After compacting the database, I'd move the entire app to a folder on to a user's local drive. Open it up and see if you can optimize to a different folder on the same local drive. If you can, it suggests something is going on with the network.
      If you can't I'd create a new empty database in a different folder. Move all the tables and sets to that folder and add them to the new database ( Remember this won't include imports and global scripts ). Now see if you can optimize. If you can, this would suggest corruption in the databse itself, and not individual tables or sets.
      If you can't, I'd start dropping sets and tables one by one and trying to optimize and see if you can find something in there that is causing the problem.

As Mick said, what has changed recently?Virus protection, a mail server or specific changes to the app.

Comment

You keep mentioning Optimize and I was talking about "refresh". I hope we are talking about the same thing. We have this database on an independant computer and it works fine there. It obviously is only on the network that we are having this problem since "refresh" doesn't apply any where else. We compacted it, no help. As I said before, uninstalling and reinstalling fixed it for a while. No, there has been no recent changes to the program and no additions in software or hardware.

I will think about what you said about moving or copying the files to another drive on a single computer and faking a network that way if I can figure that out.

Thanks, I think?
        Jim Belanger

Comment

Thanks for the hint. I will see what I can find out.
          Jim Belanger

Comment

That *may* be your problem if you choosing "refresh shadow" from the drop down menu.

I am going to assume a couple of things here. At some point you have "networked optimized" the workstations on the network that are running the RunTime version.

First question would be if nothing has changed, why are you refreshing the shadow? Not that it should hurt anything, but unless there has been a change on the master app, there really is no need to refresh the shadow at all.

If there has been a change in the master app, try doing a full "Network Optimize". Possibly (and I use that term loosely) when you are trying to refresh, it's trying to perform some operation that the shadow does not contain yet.

"Refresh" ONLY refreshes data and files the *currently* reside in the shadow folder. I would try a full Network Optimize instead, if multiple machines are experiencing the Kernel32 error.

Mick

Comment

OK, I had not tried to optimize again. We have been routinely "refreshing" weekly at my shop. This is not a run time version, by the way, it is the regular version. I had instructed everyone to routinely "refresh the shadow" every Monday in case I had been there over the weekend and made some changes to forms or field rules.

I will tell them to redo the network optimize and see if that works.

Thanks, I think>??
              Jim Belanger

Comment

Jim

If you check the message board, you will find many messages about "refresh shadow". Unfortunately, it doesn't always work as advertised. If you make any changes to the main application files (adding functions, scripts, adding tables) refresh normally fails. Micks idea about using network optimize does work reliably. If the only changes you have made are with table files only (new / edited forms, reports etc.) refresh usually works. If refresh fails, the terminal seems to lose the references to the server paths and will generate an error or crash.

There are other ways to update workstations. The method I use is simply to copy all support files to the terminal using an xbasic script. Copy everything EXCEPT .adb, dbf, and cdx files. These are unique to the terminal and are created during the network optimize. If you change a table structure, an index definition or add or drop a table, then you will have to run network optimize.

Jerry

Comment

I NEVER use the shadow refresh. I simply do another optimize and OK the overwriting of the files. Have had NO PROBLEMS with the optimization feature doing it this way.

Comment

I have corrected my problem. One of the managers had gone to the server and copied the files to his laptop. Problem is, he moved instead of copied a few and that gave me the error. When I restored those files, I was ok again. On the optimize idea, I had a question. In order to network optimize again, don't I have to be connected to the program in the server and not to the shadow? I don't usually allow anyone but myself to connect to the server as they can change some things I don't want them to.
                    Jim Belanger

Comment

Jim,

I agree, it is not a good idea to allow users to have access to the server files. As you experienced, some "knowledgable" people can cause serious problems. Keeping good backups can certainly save the day.

Unfortunately, to run network optimization, you have to open the application on the server from the terminal, not the local copy of the application. If you search the code archive for "optimize" you will find some utilities to automate the process from Ira Perlow. These will hide the actions from the user. The search will also bring up a number of threads on the issue which are full of ideas. Hopefully, version 5 will be more robust in this area.

Jerry

Comment

Thanks for all your help, you guys.

They had another crash today, lost several reports and forms. Not sure how that happened but I had backups in my laptop and reloaded them.

I gotta keep EVERYONE but me out of that server, that's all.
                        Jim Belanger

Comment

Working...
                        X