Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Filtered lookup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filtered lookup

I asked this question a few months ago, but I haven't come up with a solution that works.
    I have the follwing Tables-

Orders- sysid,VendorID,CustID,po# etc.
    Order Details- Order ID,Vendor item,Descriptiion. price etc.
    Vendors- Vendor Id, Vendor_name, Address etc.
    Products- Vendor ID, Vendor item, Description, cost
    I also have a customer table.

Sets-
    orders-
    |----linked to Customers- (one to one)
    |--contacts
    |---- Order Details- (one to many)
    |-----Vendors (one to one)
    |Products( 1 to many)

I have one order entry form- it includes;
    Vendor Id lookup,Mfg_name_Customer ID lookup, Customer name etc.Then it has an embedded browse with the order details.

After chosen the Vendor ID which fills in the Vendor information. I want the browse to be filtered with just the products that this vendor makes.

I have tried filtering the lookup. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. It also keeps building many indexes on my table.

What I would like to in the filtered lookup is if Vendor ID = the Vendor ID on the form filter( which is part of the orders table) the list. HOwever, It does not allow me to do this.
    Any help would be appreciated.

RE: Filtered lookup

Jeff,

One thing that does seem to work is to set the filter using a global variable, say "v_vendor". I create the variable in the table structure, define it as global, and set a default value. In this way, it is always available to the table. Somewhere on the form, perhaps on the OnActivate event, set the value of the variable to the current vendor. Then for the filter for the lookup, use

vendor_id=v_vendor

You can also set up a conditional table lookup to show a different lookup for each vendor. I needed this in one app for a different filtered lookup display on different inventory types. Set one condition to

var->v_vendor = "Vendor1"

or whatever. Set another to

var->v_vendor = "Vendor2"

and so on. Be sure to have one for

var->v_vendor = ""

to catch situations where no vendor has been specified or the variable value has not been set.

I have used this on a couple apps and it works well, most of the time. There is a slight bug in version 266 that will cause a problem with any filtered lookup. After about 8 to 10 lookups in succesion without closing the form, a memory error will generate. No cure is currently avaialable. A later beta test build 267 did fix the problem, but it was never released.

Jerry

Comment

Jeff,

I want the browse to be filtered with just the products that this vendor makes.

Create a set with vendors as the parent and products as the child linked by vendor_id. Create a form based on the set and put the vendor name and vendor_id fields on the form. Then drag a browse from the tool list onto the form and delete all fields except for, say, the produc_id and products fields. Everytime you change the vendor, name you will see that vendors products.

You could also put a browse on the form which show only the vendor names. Then simply click on a vendor and the child records show for that vendor.

I do this frequently and it works great.

kenn
      TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Jeff,

(Or is your first name Richards?)

Take a look at Steve Dentler's contribution to the Code Archive called 'Advanced Forms'. He demonstrates how to build custom, filtered lookups using dialog forms, and not using the table lookup field rule.

Folks have reported trouble using filtered table lookups in field rules.

Steve's approach is to call a second form, which has been designed to emulate the lookup browse list, but which works reliably. When the second form is called his script sets a filter which limits the range of records displayed in the called form to those which meet specific criteria. Sounds like exactly what you are after.

-- tom

Comment

Hi Jeff,

I do a similar thing in a PO app for a food broker. He has about 13
          suppliers and about 160 different products. The PO obviously goes to a
          supplier and lists the products to be ordered. What we do is add a
          prefix to the suppliers product stock number in the product table that
          will relate that product to the supplier. From that point it is easy
          to strip the prefix from each line item as they are entered in the
          embedded browse.

efs

Comment

look at
            http://www.learn alpha.com/filtered/filtered.htm

Comment

Thanks for all reply's. I ltook everyones advice and made it work. It's great to have you guys.
              THanks.

Comment

Working...
              X