Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Doesn't Work As Advertised

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't Work As Advertised

In the Enable Color Equation box:

This works: if(C_Statem=.t.,"Blue","")
    This doesn't work: if(C_Statem=.t.,"Dark Blue","") It remains Blue.

In the Enable Font Equation box:

This doesn't work: if(C_Statem=.t.,"B","")
    This doesn't work: if(C_Statem=.t.,"b","")

Anyone know why the above doesn't work? A5 or me?

Thanks,

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

RE: Doesn't Work As Advertised

Regarding the latter, try:

if(C_Statem=.t.,"Arial,8,B","")

Your color quarion should work though....
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Your color equation should work though....

...sometime i talk funny...
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Hi Peter,

Nope, Nada

if(C_Statem=.t.,"Ariel,8,b","") doesn't work

if(C_Statem=.t.,"b","")

Both should work. (:>

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Hi Ken

Try this to test on the color. If it ends up dark red you know the field is .f. The equation is written right so yes it should work. The only reason I can see is that C_Statem is not True. This is a logical field?

if(C_Statem=.t.,"Dark Green","Dark Red")

Then change it to
          if(C_Statem=.f.,"Dark Green","Dark Red")

If it turns dark green you know its the field, and not equation. If its still dark red then the c_statem has not been set, meaning it's empty and is neither true nor false.

Mick

Comment

Nevermind about the last part. I guess if its empty it is considered .f.

Comment

Hi Mick,

Comment

Hi Mick,

if(C_Statem=.t.,"Dark Green","Dark Red") doesn't work but if(C_Statem=.t.,"Dark Green","Red") half works. If it's .t., then the color is Green, not dark green. As soon as you put the extra word "dark" in it, "dark" has no effect.

I also tried this in the Enable font equation(copied right out of A5's Help) "helvetica, 14, bi". It has absolutely no effect. This also has no effect: if(C_Statem=.t.,"helvetica, 14, bi", ""), also no effect.

The only thing I can get to work is a simple one word color expression. Because using a one word color will work, then the others should also work with a Logical field.

BTW, it's not just this particular app but others as well that this doesn't work. Can anybody get anything other than a simple one word expression to work? I'm beginning to beileve there's a bug in A5.

Thanks,

kenn

Comment

Hey Ken
                  Just as a long shot, but what is your screen color mode set to? If it's on 16 color it the "dark" colors may not be available. Only thing I can think of. I use both color and font equations all over the place and never had a problem like what you describe. Tis a strange one.

Mick

Comment

Ken, I suggest you compact your development database, and then exit Alpha Five.

Reload Alpha Five.

Open the form in design mode, select the field in question and open the expression editor for the Enable Color Equation Box. Use 'Evaluate' to step through a few records. See if the logic of your expression is working correctly. For testing purposes instead of using "" (the default color) for negatives, use "Red", or something that's easier to spot. It will also help if you arrange a few sample records with alternating field values.).

Once the logic of your expression is confirmed, view the form, and step through the same records. The color of the font used to display the value should change, per the equation. Remember to save the form before beginning to view the records, ok?

This works fine here for regular fields in my table. Have not tested with a calculated field, but would assume it would work the same. Have not not tested with a display calc field, but would assume it would work the same, too.

-- tom

Comment

Kenn,

My first test was with a simple char type field.

Went back, added a logical field to the table and form.

This expression works fine in the Color Equation box for the font:

if(pddues,"Dark Green", "Dark Red")

pddues is the name of the logical field in the table upon which the form is based.

I have no reason to believe that this behaves differently from

if(pddues = .t., "Dark Green", "Dark Red")

I'm just lazy.

-- tom

Comment

Ken,

This is a longshot as I'm not too familiar with the color equation thingy, but what if you removed the space from your color name. I.E., DarkGreen instead of Dark Green?

Mike
                        Thank you,
                        Mike Konoff

Comment

I just tried the following: if(active=.t.,"red on gray","dark red on gray"), and it works for me. I also tried it without the 'on gray' part and it works both ways.
                          Thank you,
                          Mike Konoff

Comment

Ken,

I have used both font and color equations successfully. I suspect, as one of the others suggested, that your color scheme for Windows might be a little goofy (that's the technical term).

One way to check which colors you have available is to to to the Font tab in Properties, and change the color of your field. When you click on the down-arrow next to the color, you'll see the list of colors. Maybe that will shed some light on this.

Comment

Mick, Tom, Mike, Bill:

I followed Tom's suggestion and stepped through by clicking Evaluate. I could see the records change form Blue to Red, from Dark Blue to Dark Red. (Form was saved)

I also checked my windows colors and changed from 16 bit to 32 bit. Additionally, the fields have a white background so any color change is noticable.

The results............Nothing! Nada, Zippo, Que Lastima!!! (:

Comment

Working...
                              X