Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Barcode hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barcode hardware

Hi Gang,
    This is my first posting here. I am truly impressed with the sharing of knowledge and help I've seen here. So far,
    I've managed to find answers to all my questions from previous posting by others.

Now, I'm about to work on my first barcode application. From reading the postings here, I noticed there are some e very experienced people here in the world of barcode applications.

The project I'm working on is similar to a membership / time and attendance application. I'm going to hand out personized ID Cards with barcodes on them. Then swipe them as people contact the front desk and log a transaction.

I found barcode font 39 today for free at:
    http://www.barcodebook.com/Free_Barcode_Fonts/Free_Barcode_FontsA/free_barcode_fontsa.html

.. and now I'm looking at barcode readers. I have to admit I'm a bit overwhelmed with the choices. Could someone please recommend a quality desktop or keyboard barcode reader, based on his or her experience?

Thanks and best regards,
    Jeff Wells

RE: Barcode hardware

Hi Jeff
    Welcome aboard! I use barcoding with some of our applications, but I do it through ODBC links to the .dbf, mainly for inventory control. In the next 2 weeks we are installing a total RF system plant wide. The RF uses MCL link which does a nice job reading the .dbf and returning info to the scanner. I have not attempted much to work directly from a scanner to A5, utilizing A5's field rules, etc. But will be testing out some things when the RF is installed. We don't use swipe readers, but it has been asked about. I will be watching the response to your post with great interest. Again.. welcome!

Mick

Comment

Hi Jeff,

I too am more than mildly interested in barcoding. I read your entry,
      but the URL goes off of the page and I can't scroll over to copy all of
      it as I would like to dnld that same barcode. I was given a copy of
      Wasp, I don't know whether it will do the job or not. I more than
      likely have all of the same questions about readers, printing the
      labels as well as generating the code.

We're gonna gave some fun,
      efs

Comment

Hi Ed
        I was able to get the .zippy file. It's attached.

Mick

Comment

Hi Mick,

Thanks a ton, I'll compare it to Wasp. I am going to zip Wasp up and
          put it on here for you to evaluate also.

Rots O' Ruck,
          efs

Comment

Jeff

Are you looking for a infared / laser hand held scanner or a magnetic swiper?
            Also what are you printing your cards on?

Duane

Comment

Hi Duane,

This particular application is for a golf pro shop, where it will be
              used for invoices and inventory control, I think it will need to be a
              portable reader because of the cumbersome sizes of the products.
              Thank you for asking,
              efs

Comment

I just loaded Wasp and found that it is a "DEMO", and it is too big to
                zip and attach or even email. It would be of little use to you anyhow since it is a demo.
                efs

Comment

Hi Ed
                  Depending on the size of the place, a Symbol P470 is a great little RF scanner with about a 100 foot radius from the base. A5 can create any label using a laser printer. The scanner and software is a bit pricey..around $1500 as you will most likely need the MCL designer software. If you your interested in the how to's of it contact me and I can go into more detail on inventory via scanning and A5.

Mick

Comment

Hi Mick,

That sounds great, I'll be back with you if I get the contract. Right now it is up for grabs.
                    efs

Comment

LOL, I guest I forgot to mention that my Boss is just coming out of the dark ages and grasping what a computer can do in his office. I doubt if I can get him to invest $1500. But I have a good chance of getting him to invest a few hundred.

Those handscanners with the desktop mounting cradles look interesting. But I was wondering the pros and cons of those verses a pen type. And then serial port verses inline keyboard types.

As I mentioned, I can talk him into spending a few hundred, but I know there is not much a chance of getting him pay for two .. should I pick the wrong type first.

thanks
                      -jeff

Comment

Hi,

This is probably from the department of redundancy department, but remember to enclose your barcodes with asterisks. In other words, if your item to be barcoded is Jay Talbott, your item in the barcode will need to be *Jay Talbott* and if it is a value, you will need to covert it to a string and add the asterisks before and after.

Hope this helps.

Jay Talbott
                        Jay Talbott
                        Lexington, KY

Comment

Those handscanners with the desktop mounting cradles look interesting. But I was wondering the pros and cons of those verses a pen type. And then serial port verses inline keyboard types.

Comment

Jeff,

We are a fairly large SOcial Services Agency with two file rooms full of cases. We decided to use barcodes and touch screens to allow our file room clerks to spend more time retrieving files instead of keying information. We started out with wasp keyboard wedge type barcode readers. They were OK, but the scanner needed to be almost placed against the code to read it. We have since changed to Metrologic Voyager laser scanners. They have a higher degree of accuracy and are certainly more durable. Our employees all have ID badges with a barcode of their employee # on the back. The cards are created using the Instant-ID package which inclodes an Eltron plastic card printer. It can produce a very nice card and place the barcode on the back side.
                            Our employee badges are used for time and attendance using a Kronos timekeeping system. The Kronos system exports swipe information into our Alpha software personnel system which, in turn, feeds data to the County Payroll system via communications lines.

In the file rooms, cases as well as badges are scanned. So far, the Metrologic scanners are performing well. We are now designing an inventory system for our supply room. We will, once again, use the scanners to track inventory and users.

Tom Henkel

Comment

Thank you Tom, that is very interesting.

efs

Comment

Working...
                              X