Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Help please sorting by Calc field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help please sorting by Calc field

Hi all!

I have a really weird problem!

I run a report that is output to a HTML page and everything on that side of things is working well.

What is not working well is that the report order is based on a calculated field (always has been but changed to another field now) and when it prints the order is incorrect!

All numbers below 1000 are in the correect descending order but those above 1000 are jumbled up! If there is only one above 1000 everything is fine.

The same applies if there are records with a number of 2000.

There is a series of calculated fields (1-6) and each one does further processing on the end figure. An example is shown below;

Very weird!

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

RE: Help please sorting by Calc field

Themis,

Is the field numeric or character?
    Also, the field you had before is now gone? or doesn't work? and was it numeric or character?

Dave

Comment

Hi Dave, all the calc fields are numeric.

The original field is still there but now a calc field conditionally multiplies that calc field by say 1.3, then another multiplies the second field by 1.6 and so on.

There are seven steps along the way with the final field being the one that the report is sorted by.

Confused? I am :)

In fact I just did another report and ended up with the following; (first field is the original field, second one is the processed value)

360 1209
      357 1537
      337 1451
      290 1249
      383 2144
      290 1249
      290 1249
      348 823
      206 548
      165 508
      110 389
      133 367
      150 307
      177 279
      165 247

As you can see there seems to be no rhyme or reason for producing the report in this fashion.

If I do the report nad select ascending, the same thing happens.

Hope this helps :)

Comment

By the way Dave, the second of the fields in the previous post is the one that should be descending.

Comment

Themis,

Do you store the final calculated value in the table?

I ask because in situations like this you might be well advised to use two processes. One to compute and store the desired values, and one to sort and print the report. These could be linked in a script, so it would feel like one process to the user.

-- tom

Comment

Hi Tom, could you please post me a sample of a script that runs a report based on a set and then posts data to fields?

I haven't as yet been able to exactly figure out how to post a calculated value to a field from within a report.

Thanks

Comment

I had the opposite sequence in mind. Fill the table with calc values, then do the report. If that would be useful to you I'll send along a simple example.

-- tom

Comment

Are you talking about using field rules to set up the calculated fields in the other table?

Would it be an intersected table that includes all fields from the other tables in the set?

Is there an easy to assign a value from a calculated field back to a table? I seem to have no problem is using the calc fields to do what I want on a report by showing them on the report itself, how do I go about writing the valuew from a calc field back to a table? Is there any way to do this when the report is being run?

Sorry but we've moved into yet another gray area for me :)

Comment

Themis,

I was thinking of using an update operation. Using the operation genie I was going to define an expression which calculates a new value based on other values present in the current record. You now mention that there is a set involved. Values in the current composite record are available to the update operation, too. It may even be possible to aggregate values across multiple records as part of the operation.

this may or may not be useful to you. Can't tell until you reveal the details of the specific calc you are including in the report.

Have you considered posting a working model of your database here?

Describing the specifics in a linked series of messages is both tedious and error prone.

-- tom

Comment

What happens if you put zero in front of every number less than a thousand? For example- 0001, 0002 to get the correct order.

Comment

Working...
                    X