Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Query by Form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Query by Form

Has anyone any experience with using a query by form that displays a list of valid records of the query in a browse like format. That the user could choose, by clicking on, the recorded they wanted. Such as a query for last name field �Jo� could produce a list containing records of last names Jones, Johnson, etc. Then the user could select the appropriate record, and thus filtering the original form for the record selected.
    Thanks for your help!

RE: Query by Form

Sean,

I use query by form as a search method as you suggest and it works fine. In fact, it is the only method the user uses to find any record. Attached is a screen shot of the form. I open it as a dialog. There are some quirks using a query by form as a dialog. I will try to put together a sample form with the query and post it.

Jerry

Comment

Jerry,

That's exactly what I'm looking for in a find form. I'll start playing with the idea of using a dialog for a query, but if you could put together a sample that would be great!

Thanks!

Sean

Comment

Sean

Here is a fully functional customer form that will open a query by form as a dialog. I populated it with customer data from the sample inventory app. Unzip this into its own directory. Open the app and open the "customers" form. On the menubar there is a option to "Find a Customer". This will open the dialog query form. There is a custom button on the toolbar that does the same thing.

The dialog form opens in query by form mode. Enter the query info you want and press "Run Search". Either highlight the record in the browse that you want and press "Select" or doubleclick on the record. When the dialog closes, it saves the record number of the record selected. Then the script (on a hidden button) finds that record and displays it.

Now for the "quirks" i.e. critters - bugs, etc. First, you must specify a menu for the dialog (I use the same one as the main calling form). Even though you can't access a menu from the dialog, if you don't specify one, you will lose the original menubar completely when the dialog opens. Very wierd. The second quick occurs when the dialog closes. Even if you specified a menubar for the original calling form and the dialog, when the main form receives focus, you will get the system menu, not the custom menu. So you have to reset the menu back to the original custom menu.

Hope this gives you some ideas. The customer form and the dialog are not password protected, so open them up and look at the scripts. A lot of work and experimentation went into this method, but the users love it. One place this really works great is in sets when you need to find a record based on information in a child record to find the parent record. Query by form works here very well.

Jerry

Comment

Jerry,

Great! Thanks a ton!

Sean

Comment

Jerry,

Have you had any problems with MSVCRT40.dll crashing when you select a record? It crashes for me every time. I looked thru the forum for topics about errors with that file and there doesn't seem to be one type of problem. Any ideas?

Thanks
            Sean

Comment

Sean,

I once had a problem on a specific computer with video dll's crashing, but only one and then only when I tried print preview full screen. That computer used a s3 based video chip. The same app on another computer works fine. I have used the dialog query by form lookup on a number of computers with no problem and the sample I sent works fine on 2 different computers. I suspect the problem may be unique to your configuration. If you can, try the sample on another computer.

You may want to experiment a little and try a number of things. Since there already seems to be a bug with loading a form as a dialog and immediately running query_by_form, try commenting out the line

'p_frm.query_by_form()

as shown on the "button_findcust" OnPush script on the "Customers" form. This will open the dialog but not in query form. Select a record and close and see what happens. If it still crashes, comment out the line

'parentform.close()

on the RowDblClick event for the browse on the "findcust" form. Now doubleclick on a record and see what happens. If you want to see what the variable value is, just add the field to the form temporarily. You may have to keep commenting out actions one by one until you find the problem. The best solution is still to try another computer with a different configuration.

Computers are sometimes quirky things. Many of us blame our gray hair and lack of sleep on the infernal machines.

Jerry

Comment

Jerry,

Thanks for all your help!

Removing the parentform.close() from the button that opens the find form dialog solved all the bugs. It works great!

Sean

Comment

Sean,

A little experimentation resulted in my creating a crash in a different scenario. If I opened the calling form maximized, as soon as I opened and closed the dialog I got a crash in "user.exe". Opening with calling form non-maximized never caused a crash. I tried a number of changes and found two problems. A corrected code segment for the find button on the main form is shown below.

p_frm = :Form.load("findcust","Dialog")
                  p_frm.index_set("")
                  p_frm:fname.activate()
                  p_frm.query_by_form()
                  p_frm.show()
                  form_mode = p_frm.mode_get()
                  if alltrim(upper(form_mode))=="QUERY"
                  p_frm.query_exit()
                  end if
                  p_frm.close()

The two problems were are follows.

If the dialog was closed before the query ran, and thus the dialog was left in query mode, this seemed to confuse Alpha. So I added the segment to check the mode and exit the query before closing the form.

The second problem was simpler, but is the one that always caused a crash. So some reason, the order in which things occur in opening a dialog is very critical. Moving the line to put the form in query mode from before the object activate() to after the object activate() cured the crashes.

Jerry

Comment

Jerry,

Thanks for all your help with the query by form, but I�m having a little problem. It was working fine for the most part until users started searching multiple times during one A5 session, and then it started to cause crashes. After reading the post concerning closing a dialog form from memory I realized that was the problem. So, I replaced the line �p_frm.close()� on the bottom of the script that originally opens the dialog form, I had taken it out to eliminate errors. The form is no longer left in memory, but now it has become very unstable and I receive a �user.exe� error all the time. Below is the script that opens the form on a button from the original form. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank in advance,
                    Sean

tbl = table.current()
                    recno = 0
                    parentform.disable()
                    p_frm = :Form.load("Phys Find Form","Dialog")
                    p_frm.index_set("")
                    p_frm:Phys_Numb.activate()
                    p_frm.query_by_form()
                    p_frm.show()
                    p_frm.query_exit()
                    end if
                    parentform.enable()
                    if recno 0
                    tbl.fetch_goto(recno)
                    parentform.resynch()
                    end if
                    p_frm.close()

Comment

Try enabling the parentform before you close the dialog. This could be resulting in no form being active.

p_frm.show()
                      parentform.enable()
                      p_frm.query_exit()
                      end if
                      if recno 0
                      tbl.fetch_goto(recno)
                      parentform.resynch()
                      end if
                      p_frm.close()

Jerry

Comment

Jerry,

Unfortunately that didn�t solve the problem. Since the error mostly occurs when the record is selected here are the scripts I use for search and select. By the way I also get the same error using the example you posted above, but only when the window is maximized. I would like to be able to keep the parent form maximized due to the number of fields. I could try minimizing the parent form at the top of the script that calls the dialog form, I guess.

Let me know if something jumps out at you in the code.

Thanks,
                        Sean

Search:

form_mode = parentform.mode_get()
                        select
                        case alltrim(upper(form_mode))=="QUERY"
                        parentform.query_run()
                        end select
                        tbl = table.current()
                        idx = tbl.index_primary_get()
                        if alltrim(idx.name_get()) = ""
                        end
                        end if
                        parentform:browse1.activate()

Select:

tbl = table.current()
                        form_mode = parentform.mode_get()
                        select
                        case alltrim(upper(form_mode))=="QUERY"
                        end
                        end select
                        recno = tbl.recno()
                        parentform.close()

Comment

Sean

I had a lot of problems getting the query by form to work in a dialog. It never worked with the main form maximized. Check if any scripts are running on the dialog when it closes. If all else fails, post a copy of the tables on the forum with the forms and I will see if I can duplicate the problem.

Jerry

Comment

Jerry,

Well it looks like I'll just have to find another way for conducting queries. Attached is a copy of a table and forms that use the dialog find form. I�ve striped most of the data but left what�s need for the dialog form. In a normal setting the entry form would be opened from the main menu. Also, the only global script is autoexec with one line hiding the control panel. It's unfortunate that this type of query has problems, it would be a great tool for the users here. Thanks again for your help in trying to find a solution.

Sean

Comment

Sean,

Attached is a modification of your forms showing how to simulate a maximized form. Since it appears you are using buttons to close your forms, this should work. Actually the form is running in restore size, but looks maximized. In this condition, the query by form works.

This query method is very quirky. The first time I tried your download, it crashed. Then I commented out the line in the calling script that checks for the object "querydescription" and it worked. Then I uncommented the lines and it still worked. Putting the main form maximized caused an immediate crash when the dialog was opened. However, this sample seems reliable.

Jerry

Comment

Working...
                              X