Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

ALPHA V.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ALPHA V.5

when is it coming?
    seem to recall it was originally due summer or fall 2000.

alpha haven't normally promoted vaporware before.

but will v5 ever arrive? if it does with all the extras promised i gues it may take a few more months for patches to bring to maturity.

Come on Alpha, give some news and timetable to ordinary users like me. All the beta testers - do you have info you can release?

thanks for info.

roger

RE: ALPHA V.5

I won't let Roger to use my email again! sorry for his style.

Interesting questions though.

Robin

Comment

Well, let's give this some thought. There is a conference scheduled for 3/21/02 through 3/24/02. Since V5 was supposed to be released prior to the last conference, 1 year ago, my GUESS is they will have it out B4 the next conference.

kenn
      TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

I did not hear any response from Alpha Software about that. But I am still receiving postcards for the ever phantom V5 upgrade to pre-pay for it and get V4.5 (bug fix) with no dead line in sight for the release of V5.

To me this is just like selling fish while it is still in the water!

-What is the price of the V5 upgrade when it is finally released? Does the cost of V4.5 fully cover that cost?

-When v5 will be released ?

Comment

--What is the price of the V5 upgrade when it is finally released?-- I don't think that's been cast in stone but no doubt some figures have been tossed aroound.

--Does the cost of V4.5 fully cover that cost?-- Absolutely not. V5 will be a radical improvement. If you've followed the discussions on this topic over the last 1-1/2 years you would know that the folks at Alpha want it 'right' the first time, or as close to 'right' as possible. I'd be very, very, very surprised if we have a conference w/o the release of v5. Think about it!

And, Alpha will remain silent until the official release time arrives. I would.

kenn
          TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

I was recently throwing away some old books and came across my Alpha Version 1.1 DOS version manuals. Thats how long I have been using Alpha Software. The DOS version of Alpha software WAS A GREAT PROGRAM. I kept using it until Alpha Five version 4 came out a number of years ago and have happily been using that program since then.

I have been reluctant to be critical of the Alpha Five management. They have missed a deadline...ok, it happens. They have been somewhat tardy in keeping their user base informed about the status of Version 5. Ok, I don't like it but can live with it.

What really disturbs me is Alpha 4 Version 7! At a time when every programming resource should be devoted to completing the long overdue flagship program upgrade, they are upgrading a DOS PROGRAM! DOS is dead, get over it. The fact is that the Version Five upgrade, as good as we hope it will be, will still leave Alpha Five at least one upgrade from where it should be.

I don't expect Alpha Software to be cutting edge. I expect easy to use, rapid application developement software. But I do expect the management to be forward looking, not looking backward to past glory. Should Alpha 4 continue to be supported? Sure. But to divert resources to produce an upgrade is absurd. How many other companies are upgrading their DOS programs? How many still sell DOS programs?

Comment

John,

Here's my take on the recently release update to Alpha Four.

As you probably know, version 7 of Alpha Four extends the 'legs' of the Alpha Four product line by permitting users to continue using it with the newer Windows operating systems. (Windows 2000 and XP, I believe). It also enables customers to use the newer Windows printers, some of which won't work well or at all under DOS.

Personally, I was glad to see that Alpha Software Corporation hasn't abandoned its DOS customer base. It provides a measure of comfort to me even though most of my work is now in Alpha Five, because it signals a true commitment to go the extra mile for its existing customers.

In addition, the new version probably furnished a way to generate additional revenue from a potentially large number of customers. My assumption is that Alpha Software has probably sold 100 or more copies of its DOS package for every copy it has sold of its Windows package. Would you agree ? If I'm right, the upgrade market is probably large enough to easily justify the investment the company made in getting Version 7 out the door. Anything that makes the company stronger is a good thing, in my book. Would you agree ?

-- tom

Comment

Tom
                I haven't used Alpha Dos for about 3 years now but must agree with you. I think that Alpha has shown a great comittment to their loyal customer base by upgrading the DOS version.

Rick T

Comment

I agree it was a class act for Alpha to extend the DOS version to XP and Win2000 - esp. in this age of planned obsolescence. And, no, I do not use that DOS product.

However, regarding the time slippage of ver 5. release. I think the changes are so radical, that Alpha had to literally rip out the guts of the program and rework it. The danger is, that this means lots of new bugs. Strangely, the Alpha user community is very very patient. Personally, I am chomping at the bit for ver. 5 - BUT, I don't want a buggy product. So I would rather bite the bullet, hold my fire, and anxiously anticipate the hopefully imminent release of a relatively bug-free v.5. I have said it before, and I will say it again - ver. 5 is Stunning!

Peter
                  Peter
                  AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                  https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Robin,

"when is it coming?
                    seem to recall it was originally due summer or fall 2000"
                    Actually, they just said '2nd qtr' when they hyped it last year. They didn't say what year the 2nd qtr was in. :)

"alpha haven't normally promoted vaporware before."
                    It's part of their new policy to become more compatible with Microsoft! :)

"but will v5 ever arrive?"
                    Yes! And we will also eventually discover life on other planets! I'm not sure which will come first though. :)

"Come on Alpha, give some news and timetable to ordinary users like me"
                    Seriously, check the ANnouncements forum and look for the topic "Status of alpha five version 5.0" by Cian Chambliss.
                    You'll get a really good status report.

Comment

Tom,

You make some good points. Perhaps Alpha software needs the revenue from this upgrade.

My main point, however, is that the entire focus of Alpha Software needs to be on its Windows product. I don't know a single person who still uses DOS. I would no more go back to DOS than I would give up my automobile and go back to riding a bicycle for transportation. Does Paradox have a DOS product? Is there a DOS version of Microsoft Access? Has Filemaker recently upgraded the DOS version of their program? All of these programs have a greater market share and visibility than Alpha Five.

Paradox, Access and Filemaker have all had at least two upgrades since the last time Alpha Five was upgraded. My concern is that Alpha Five is falling behind the competition. I want a company that is focused on the future--not the past.

John

Comment

Tom,

Richard Rabins once told me that they estimated 40% to 50% of their current user base still uses A4.

Best regards,

Geoff Hollander

Comment

John,
                          I have a studio database system that has been running on Alpha 4 (DOS) since v2 - It is simple, doesn't require the user to touch that stupid mouse (ANY data entry person will tell you that it slows down entry when you have to take your hand off the keyboard), and allows one stroke access to functions and commands (not alt-E for enter, just E) - I salute Alpha for the continued support - it's worth $149 for me not to have to take the time to re-write the old program into Windows-based A5 just because I want to print to my Xerox laser!

Keep it up, AlphaSoftware
                          Bob Henderson

Comment

Car manufacturers make more than one model of car.

Cordless drill manufacturers make more than one model of cordless drill. Some even still make corded drills.

Other software companies make more than one software product. Let�s see�Microsoft makes Word, Outlook, Excel, Access, Powerpoint, Foxpro, and so on.

So what is wrong with AlphaSoftware making/offering more than one software product?

Any business is really about one thing. Making money. Making money is the one thing that every business has to do to stay afloat. If Alpha doesn�t make money, then there will be no more Alpha, no more A5, no more A4. They can�t lose money and stay in business. Offering another product, no matter what flavor, that generates income is a very good thing. If A4V7 generates a profit over the costs to develop it, that is a good thing for A5V5 because then those incomes can be used to continue to improve A5V5. You should pray that A4V7 sells many copies and is great, because it�s money making can make A5V5 a better product, which is better for you/me�A5 users.

I doubt seriously that they took 100% of their development crew that is working on A5V5 and put them on A4V7. Maybe they didn�t remove any of the development staff and contracted the programming out to an outsider. They risked spending money to make money. Nothing wrong with that. Same thing is done when people buy stocks.

By offering A4V7 they made 2 rights, a good business decision and a good customer service decision. The good business decision was an attempt to generate more income, the good customer service decision was an attempt to keep existing A4 customers, and keep them happy. Some of the A4 users have tried A5 and DO NOT like it. Therefore, there may come a day when A4 will no longer work that they may try another windows product because they tried A5 and don�t like it. But, now that they can continue using A4 with the release of V7, income remains with Alpha instead of going elsewhere.

To me�that is a VERY win-win move, and I admire them for that decision.

Mike
                            Thank you,
                            Mike Konoff

Comment

Mike,

I don't think anyone is contesting Alpha Software's right or decision to put out the new version of A4v7. You are
                              right that it is good to continue to support the DOS customer base, but let's evaluate that a little more.

You say there are some users that have tried A5 and did not like and want to remain with A4. I don not disagree, but how many? Do you really think they are a clear majority? I am sure if it was researched, we would find the A5 user base far outweighs the A4 base.

Now, Alpha Software enticed us to purchase A5v4.5 over a year ago, with the promise of a discounted purchase of a soon to be released V5. In short, v4.5, we were led to believe v4.5 was meant to be a short interim release. Well, I don't know about year, but one year pretty much exceeds my idea of an interim. So considering all above, Alpha Software has gone to great expense to please a minority of there user base (A4v7) while they have upset a majority of the others (still to be delivered A5v5). I'm no business tycoon, but it doesn't take an Einstein to figure out there is something inherently wrong with that logic. In addition, while the majority of us are still waiting, we have also yet to here the exact upgrade cost and 'discount' that will be offered to those of us that purchased v4.5.

As someone that works in tech support for a large software company, I constantly am reminded that the worst thing you can do to any client is to keep them in the dark about progress on their problem. The same goes for promises made by Alpha as to A5. Even if they are having problems, as long as they provide regular status updates, then I am sure everyone will be happy. But if we have to stay guessing, they are making a very bad business decision.

Cian Chambliss deserves high commendations for his post in the Announcements forum "Status of alpha five version 5.0", but that was over a month ago. It wouldn't hurt fo Alpha Software to issue a new update.

Comment

Working...
                              X