Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

SH31W32.DLL Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SH31W32.DLL Again

V4.5Build266. App ran fine under Win98SE. Installed Windows 2000 Professional. Trying to execute the app results in the following: "User32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly. Relocation occurred because the DLL E:Program FilesA5V4sh31w32.dll occupied an address range reserved for Windows system dll's. The vendor supplying the dll should be contacted for a new dll." I have been trying to contact the vendor for most of the week to no avail. I know this dll has been discussed in the past, but frankly, I have not seen the solution to this problem, and the vendor seems to be unreachable. Thank you for any solution(s) provided. 2000 is installed on the D: drive. E: is but one of several partitions.
    Dick

RE: SH31W32.DLL Again

Richard, can't answer your question, but I'm curious. There appear to be two different versions of this DLL, one created in May '96 and the other in May '98. The later one is larger than the former. In reviewing the various threads in this forum which discuss this DLL I see that most (if not all) are using the older DLL.

If you are not, perhaps you should give that a try while waiting for authoritative responses from Alpha.

-- tom

Comment

Problem solved, thanks to Alpha software. It is a matter of configuration; multiple partitions with multiple operating systems.
      Dick

Comment

If you have time it wouldn't hurt to post a complete description of the solution here so others could refer to it istead of having to go through what you did.
        There can be only one.

Comment

I'm not sure I understand it all myself. A5 was originally running on an old computer. My plan is to get it running on the new computer. The new machine is configured as follows: C drive is one physical drive of 16 GB with Win98SE as its operationg system. The other physical drive, 76 GB, has Windows 2000 Professional as its operating system and has partitions D through H on it. I put A5 on the E drive. At boot time there is an option to boot to Win98SE or the 2000 flavor. If I boot to 2000 and try to run A5 I get the dll error. If I boot to Win98SE, A5 comes alive. Eventually, the plan is to go to 2000 as the sole operating system, but I'm not there yet.
          Not sure if the above is of any help in solving any sh31w32.dll issue. The dll shows up, with the same dates and size in the A5 folder, and in the win system stuff on the C drive. Deleting one or the other results in other error messages. Again, A5 loads if I boot to the Win98SE system

Comment

Hmm... on an unrelated note, I *just* started seeing this error while working on my 'secret project' (codename: Cottontail) in A5v4.5...

It's a database with one single-field table, and one form with lots of variables including a 512 element numeric array and a 128 element object pointer array. The arrays seem to be working okay, but the form relies heavily (or entirely) on event scripts and variables.

Whenever I open the form the first time, it init's ok, but crashes A5 (remember, it's still in development) If I try to run A5 again I get the aforementioned error. I have to reboot Windows before it will open again.

I'm still getting the hang of A5's advanced scripting after years of A5V2.

I'm not expecting a solution here (I'm sure it's mainly my scripts, because my 'normal' lightly scripted databases do not crash)... just venting before I go back to the drawing board... again... ;-) This just makes it that much more enjoyable when it finally works!

-Bob

Comment

Robert,
              Just a wild guess here but this rings a bell. A while ago,I was doing a lot of array dimensioning and deleting of variables in a form. Crashes occurred on the second run thru certain things. Tom Cone suggested to do redims rather than dims on the array variables and it solved the problem. It shouldn't have been necessary and I was a little stubborn, but the bottom line is it worked. Thanks again Tom.
              John

Comment

Thanks John, I'll add that to my 'stuff to remember'

actually, in looking at it, I think I can eliminate the two large arrays altogether and simplify my code significantly. If I get it working right, I will post it to this group.

thanks again,
                -Bob

Comment

Working...
                X