Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Is it possible to write SQL to Alpha5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to write SQL to Alpha5

I'm a newbie here with Alpha5 and need to run some reports off the alpha5 tables. Is it possible to use regular SQL Statements to do this, or will I have to learn Alpha5's methods/operations to do it ?

RE: Is it possible to write SQL to Alpha5

Tracy,
    You'll have to use Alpha techniques. So in Alpha you make a report and in an easy to use interface you create a filter. The filter acts as your SQL statement and is for the most part a very easy thing to do.
    John

Comment

Thanks for the heads up John. This has been really frustrating as I know what I want to say in sql to gather the data, but can't seem to find the translation in alpha.
      I'm hoping I don't have to have a refresher course in xbasic to do this.

Comment

Alpha Five is designed to allow you to do many things without programming. It takes a bit of time to learn where things are and how to make them work, but finding what you want is usually the hardest part.

If you want to program, you certainly can, and the script recorder will record your actions in xbasic to give you a starting point. However, form and report construction are done in the layout editor, not through programming.

A5 was originally billed as the relational database for non-programmers, and it can do more without programming than any other database I know about.

Comment

Tracy,

The expression language built into Alpha Five is a lot like that in dBase and FoxPro (all have their little differences -- just like diferent versions of transactional SQL as contained in Oracle, SQL Server, Sybase, etc.).

In fact it's not that different than SQL, other than the expressions seem to me to be more algebraic. You can put most queries together (and save them for recall) with the Expression Builder and perhaps, at first, the expressions-functions section of the manual handy.

Once you see how the basic syntax works, I believe that you will catch on very fast as SQL is a lot more cumbersome and inefficient that Alpha's language.

I also think that you will be impressed with Alpha's speed at processing your expressions and operations; and I know you will come to love (as the rest of us here have) the increased capabilities and precision that Alpha Five's language (not to be confused with XBasic -- Alpha's built-in programming language) provides.

You can think of Alpha's expression language as a parrallel to SQL, and XBasic as the same to VBA. You can run one from within the other -- if anmd when you wish.

Regards,

Geoff Hollander

Comment

Yes, once I'm stop try to think in sql terms, its making a little more sense to me. Specifically, I'm want to run reports for accounting from a master table of "charges" and
            child tables of "write-offs", "adjustments", & "payments"..

I'm really been looking for expressions in alpha similiar to sql's Join & NOT IN.
            For example, I want to join all these tables in a query
            and show a report of all charges before a specific date and output in the report the amount owed (or overpayment) up to a specific user entered date.
            I'm thinking now instead of joining these tables in a sql statement, I will need to create a "set" and create a new
            report from that set. Then use the expression builder to filter the criteria.

Let me know if I'm on the right track with this, I really feel handicapped here.

Thanks for all your help !

Comment

I believe you are correct. Creating a "set" (which is quickly done in the A5 control pannel, by right clicking and choosing "new") should produce the same result as an sql join.

-Bill

Comment

Working...
              X