Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Attaching a URL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attaching a URL

I am pretty new to Alpha 5 useage and I have created a practice database for a fictious video rental company.

What I am wondering is, is there a way to attach a web address to the title of a film either in the table itself or on a form.

RE: Attaching a URL

Hi Stuart,

Short answer is there are probably multiple ways to accomplish what you want to do - depending on what that is, precisely.

For example, I've been fiddling with Alpha's ability to draw on data in my tables, generate urls, & shelling out to MSIE to retrieve the results - mostly geo-centric stuff (ie, xbasic scripts that fill in zip code and/or city/state info, then fire up MSIE to display the resultant web page - maps, directions, geo-centric data like doctors within a zip radius).

Works pretty effectively, tho at present there's no way I know of to control the browser much with A5 - results display in a separate browser window, & once there, browser needs to be closed by the user - no A5 controls can do that, to my knowledge.

So, if you're simply interested in storing urls in a table, and/or composing/using them dynamically based on data in your table, that can be fairly straightforward.

For instance, here's a bit of xbasic code that retrieves restaurants within a zip radius (firm responsible for the website cloaked to protect the innocent), driving off a form. This actually is a subcomponent of a dropdown list consisting of a dozen or so permutations of the same basic code:

f = parentform.this
    a = trim(city.value)
    b = trim(state.value)
    c = "c:Program FilesInternet ExplorerIexplore.exe http://********.com/city="
    d = c+a+"/state="+b
    sys_shell(d,1)

I've found this forum invaluable in stitching together the elements of what I've done with this to date. I'm as far from code-knowledgeable as one can get, but thanks to Alpha 5 and its throng of articulate user-experts, I've done some pretty effective things with it.

Stuart (or anyone interested), please contact me with any questions: [email protected]

Comment

dang, should be backslashes in the "c" line. Hope this displays them properly: "c:Program FilesInternet ExplorerIexplorer.exe".

Slashes go where you'd expect them - between folder names.

Comment

hmmmm....learning something new about the message board....

anyway, reverse the direction of the slashes here & you'll see it like I see it:

"C:/Program Files/Internet Explorer/Iexplore.exe ....."

Comment

c = "c:&92;Program Files&92;Internet Explorer&92;Iexplore.exe http://********.com/city="
          There can be only one.

Comment

c = "c:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Iexplore.exe http://********.com/city="
            There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Stan,

& thanks for the html help!

Yes, I am indeed an idiot. Just ask Geoff Hollander :D

Comment

Thanks for your help Greg, but i am still having trouble i can't seem to work how to read the web address from the field and then open Internet Explorer with the relevant page displayed. Bearing in mind that each film in my table will have a unique web address, i want to run from a single button on my form that will look at the address in the web address field on my form then do the necessary.

Comment

Hi Stuart,

I've been assuming you're familiar with Alpha's tools for working with xbasic. basically, my notes assume you're making a button that, when pressed, draws data from your database, assembles the appropriate url, starts an MSIE browser window, & displays the appropriate page.

There are probably a variety of ways to do what I'll describe, but here goes:

1) open your form in Design mode.

2) draw a button on your form.

3) right-click on the button.

4) select Actions from the menu.

5) highlight Action Script in the left panel of the Script tab (I believe that's the default tab displayed), right-click on it, select Insert Command

6) select Inline Xbasic from the Actions menu (be sure the All radio button is selected - again, I believe that's the default)

7) click Next

8) enter the Xbasic code referenced in earlier posts, modified to use your table's field names: for example, if the field holding your urls is named "movie", replace "city" with "movie". You may only need to reference one field in your database - all the simpler.

See Stan Mathews' 2nd post for the best representation of the way the syntax should look. (I believe you can forego the "http://.www" part of the url reference if you choose; once you've got the thing working, try it both ways)

You'll need to use the field name your form uses for the field you want to draw from; ordinarily it's the same as the field you originally assigned it, but to be sure, open Xbasic Explorer from the View menu (it may have opened when you clicked the Actions selection earlier), click Objects, click Windows, then scan the list for the field name that contains the url information you want to draw from.

your results of course depend on the particular structure of the urls for the sites you're connecting to. if each record is potentially/actually connecting to a different site, you'll structure your Xbasic code differently than if you're connecting to the same site for any given record. Basically, you'll need less information in your table's "movie" field if you're exclusively visiting a site to retrieve information based on your database.

Good luck - keep trying - you learn all sorts of odd & useful stuff that way!

Comment

Once again thank you for your help Greg, i haven't actually managed to get it working but i'll keep trying till i do!

Comment

Working...
                    X