Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Licensing My App

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Licensing My App

With the help of Barry Rochford's Licensing system idea found on LearnAlpha.com, I have been setting up the system (can't seem to get it working just yet but anyway) and a thought occured to me (easy).

After spending time on setting up the mathmatics, encryption etc to secure it so no 7 yr olds could break it I realised that the whole thing was based around windows date to test if license expired.(oops) All they have to do is change the date!!!!!
    As most licensing systems would use a date to test when license expires how do you get around this - is there another
    system date that can be used which is secure or what??

Thanks in advance for any input.

RE: Licensing My App

I dunno, bury it inside a random text string of numbers of loooong proportions, and don't let on which digits are the date?

25432640065435445554956186198718798189107189715464254654654654045454654654045436465414654545

When you do your registration use this date as part of the code they need to get an unlock code from you in the first place. If they mess with it, they need to get the registration date and their registration number right.

I am sure there is a method in here...

Comment

A method I use to detect if a user has back set the date or time, to enter financial transactions for earlier dates or times:

The "dummy" table, that the Master Menu is based on, (and the Master Menu is never closed,) has fields containing the last date and seconds past midnight any critical files were written to - either entered or changed.

When the app is loaded, and/or when any of these critical files are entered/changed, I check the current date/seconds past midnight, and if the "current" date/time is less than the "last stored" date/time - they have to have a password to continue, the event is logged, and the user is warned of the event.
      Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
      972 524 8714
      [email protected]

Comment

Martin,
        Clever idea but how do I do that, any chance of a simple sample of the way to go about it.

Also wouldnt they still be able to reload the app from scratch each time there license runs out??

Regards
        Mike

Comment

Yes - they could reload the app - but they would destroy all their data in doing so. Otherwise, if the data were still there, they would still get the message. Another option, which I am beginning to like, is that when the app is initially installed, they would be required to call you and get an activation number, giving you the serial number you had assigned to the app. Then you would know if they were up to no good.

But as to how I manage what I had described, I find the easiest way to do it is (1) at start up, and (2) in field rules for critical files.

At startup, I say something like this in the beginning form's oninitialize event:
          'based on a file called dummy
          x=toseconds(time()) 'seconds past midnight
          y=date()
          'the Master Menu has two hidden field objects-datelastupdated and timelastupdated from the dummy file

if parentform:datelastupdated.value > y
          ui_msg_box("Error!!!!!!!!!","The computer's date has been changed - all entries will be double logged")
          'etc etc put more code here
          end if
          if parentform:datelastupdated.value=y .and. parentform:timelastupdated.value > x
          ui_msg_box("Error!!!!!!!!!","The computer's time has been changed - all entries will be double logged")
          'etc etc put more code here
          end if
          parentform:timelastupdated.value=toseconds(time())
          parentform:datelastupdated.value=date()
          parentform.commit()

'this takes care of startup

now with, for example, the file "payments", in field rules,
          there are a number of things you can do. (1) update the time/date entered/changed, (2) add to an Activity Log, and (3) check to see if they have changed the date/time after they opened the app:

'(3) at the cansaverecord event:
          x=toseconds(time()) 'seconds past midnight
          y=date()
          if y status
          log.dated=date()
          log.timeentered=dtoc(date()) + " - " + time("0h:0m:0s-AM",now())
          log.enter_end(.t.)
          log.close()

hope this gives you an idea - you will want to make your own files and include your own fields, but this will at least give you an idea.

putting the code in field rules lets you have the user access the "payments" file from a dozen different forms, but the code only has to be put in one place

Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
          972 524 8714
          [email protected]

Comment

Martin,

Thank you for all the help, I will give it a try and let you know how I got on.

Regards

Mike

Comment

Mike,

You might also consider a counter. Create a single field either in an existing table or in a new table (with only one record). Each time the app starts you run a script that adds one number to the count. You could even have a pop-up box that reads "X number more trial sessions left before program expires". You also need a script attached to the form that loads at startup to test for the value. Have another pop-up box at expiration with info on how to register the program.

Comment

John,

Sounds like a good solution to a tricky problem. I hate to disable features in a demo. I'd rather set a time limit, but how do you "upgrade" a user upon registration?

I've always wished that it was possible(?) to write a script that could re-write another it when the user registers.

It seems to me that any savvy user could start looking through the tables and change any data that looked like it limited the program or the length of time it can be used.

Best regards,

Geoff Hollander

Comment

Geoff -
                  I created a registration function keyed off the company name. The key is kept openly in a table. If the key is "DEMO" they are restricted in the number of records they can add to a table. The function is called with the company name and returns true if registered. So I have not really restricted features, just the volume of work. These registrations are only as secure as the A5 password system.

I think a date is harder to key in, but should be possible. I mean, one could simply hard code an end date, say 60 days from now, and when it crashes send a patch with a new hard coded end date until they register fully. Regardless, if someone wants to change their system date, they will bypass it.

I look forward to learning what new security tools are supplied with version 5 as I think the whole data security issue is a weakness in the viability of version 4 as a platform for commercial work.

Comment

Dear Geoff,

What I would do is create a table that contains a field for the counter, a logical field to disable the counter and a field for a registration key. There will be only one record and the table will be hidden from the user. A script is included in the autoexec.bat script. It first looks at the logical field (set to false initially). If it is true (which will be set upon registration), then you goto the part of the script that allows the app to run as normal. If false, then it checks the value in the counter field. If that is 1 (again this is the initial value) then it writes a value to the registration field based on a formula. For example, you could make a key that is equal to the two times today's date (i.e. val(remspecial(dtoc(System->Date)))*2). The next line of the script calls the message box advising how many times left to try the program and a button to register (with a phone number to call you, etc.). When the button is pushed a pop-up box with the registration field is displayed along with a variable field to enter the registraion number. This number is derived by adding together the registration key (see example above) plus a number your company holds, for example "4979". When the customer calls you to register you ask for the key number displayed. You add to that number your "secret" number (i.e. 4979). Of course you don't tell the customer what your doing. You just give him/her the resulting number to enter in the variable field. They then press a button on the form which tests that variable aginst a formula in the script (i.e. val(remspecial(dtoc(System->Date)))*2 + 4979). If they match (as they will if they registered) the logical field is changed to "true" and thus ensuing opening of the app bypasses the count test. If they had not registered, then the counter would be updated by adding one. If at the onset the counter exceeds a predefined amount the app will not run past the registration pop-up box. The advantage of this method is that each registration number will be different based upon the day the application is first run but the user would not likely know how that number was derived or how the PIN allows activation of the app. BTW, I don't write apps for distribution so I don't have a script to give you but this scheme is similar to what some companies use for validation. Hope it leads you to something productive.

Comment

The part "...They then press a button on the form which tests that variable aginst a formula in the script (i.e. val(remspecial(dtoc(System->Date)))*2 + 4979). " should be (table->registration_key + 4979)

Comment

Steven and John,

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try and let you know.

Best regards,

Geoff Hollander

Comment

OOops, Sorry: Stephen.

Geoff hollander

Comment

Attached is a little sample app that better examplifies what I mean. Instead of using a static "PIN" howver, I use a mathimatical formula to form the registration key.

Comment

Working...
                            X