Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

POSTING PROBLEM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POSTING PROBLEM

I did not realize how easy it was to attach files to these postings.
    The problem that I am having is that the QOH is not being subtracted from inventory every time a part number is invoiced. You can see what I mean by looking at the invoices on the invoice form.
    I am using Home Edition, build 1506.
    Any help on this will be appreciated.
    Larry

RE: POSTING PROBLEM

Larry,

I have tried to look at your app. Which is the field you are entering data into that you want post the value to QOH field in Inventor table? I assume that is what you want to do?

Regards

Keith Hubert

Guild Member
    London.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Keith,
      Check the field rules in the invoice.set under catline-"qty. I hope then it will be more clear.
      Every time a part number is invoiced, the "qoh" in the detail lines show the actual qty in the inventor(inventory file). If you invoice the same part# again, it will show that the post from the previous line did not do its job. It appears that if the same part# is invoiced several times in sucession, the post starts working.
      I am away from the computer a lot today so it may be a while before I respond to another post.
      Thanks for looking at this,
      Larry

Comment

Hi larry,

The problem is not the Posting Rule. It does work if you take out the condition of the Lookup for the Inventory. try it with a value in the QOH field.

Regards

Keith Hubert

Guild Member
        London.
        Regards
        Keith Hubert
        Alpha Guild Member
        London.
        KHDB Management Systems
        Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Keith,
          I removed the lookup on the "qoh" field. Of four items I invoiced three worked correctly. The fourth did not deduct from inventory. I really need the lookup on the "qoh". It's a flag if the inventory is low or not enough to fill the order. All the other previous versions of Alpha worked fine with the same rules. Did I remove the right lookup?
          If you have time, look at the calculation for catline-"total under field type. I have not been able to duplicate it on the zipped file that you have, but it has given me "$0.00" linetotals quite a few times when I am invoicing. On one order of 46 line items, it miscalculated 6 times giving me 0's. I have gone back to V4, but I know if I start invoicing in V5, eventually the error will show its face again.
          I would stick with V4, but there are a few features that I really like in V5.
          Again, Thanks,
          Larry

Comment

Larry

I am not a great fan of posting rules in field rules. In your case, you have a posting rule on a field that is also used in a calculated field, which has it's own posting rule. Being a "little" paranoid, I would be concerned about the sequence of events. Posting takes a little time to open and close another table. In your case, three tables. How would this effect the evaluation of the calculated field? How would this effect the next record that uses the posted quantity for a lookup? Will the post be completed before the next record in edited?

Your problems all seem to lead to timing issues. you didn't indicate what processor or operqating system you are using, but if the computer is slow, I would be concerned.

There are a couple ways to approach this differently. First, I would try changing the LineTotal field to user entered and then use the CanSaveRecord event to calculate the total. In this way, the total is created before the record is saved and any posting might occur. On the CanSaveRecord event, you could have this

catline-"LineTotal = catline-"QTY * catline-"SELL1

While it may be more complex that you want to get into, if I continued to have problems with posting, I would create my own "posting" rules. I have done this on critical systems where the post must be verified. There are a couple parts to this.

First, you have to place the original values for every field that has a "post" into variables. This can be done in the OnEnterRecord event for new records and the CanChangeRecord event for existing records

dim shared v_qty as n
            dim shared v_linetotal as n

v_qty = catline-"qty
            v_linetotal = catline-"linetotal

Then in the CanSaveRecord event, after the linetotal is calculated, I would compare the final value before save with the original.

dim shared v_qty as n
            dim shared v_linetotal as n

if v_qty "" catline-"qty
            'code to "post"
            end if

If it is different, I would open each table that needed the "posting" in sequence, find the related record, and open that record and add/subtract/ the change to the existing field value. In a "mission critical" situation, I might also verify that the "post" was accepted by comparing before and after values in the tasle I am posting to. It is wasn't correct, I cancel the CanSave event and popup a message to the user indicating the save was not completed.

Most of the time, I do this in form events. I use field rule events rarely, primarily because I sometimes use xbasic to open table and make changes, and most of the field rules don't apply if the record is edited in xbasic.

Jerry

Comment

BRAVO

""""putting in a request to get a duplicate of Jerry's brain chip to install in my blond head

That also goes to Tom and Ken and Melvin and Martin and Finian and On and On and On and On - please do not be offended if I missed your name, there are a million of you out there that have solved my problems because I lacked your knowledge and experience

Further proof that experience is paramount ... I learn by breaking things and complicating them: and I am REALLY good at both LOL

I look forward to the day when I stop complicating issues and no longer break stuff :)
              Cheryl
              #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
              http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

Jerry,

..if the computer is slow, I would be concerned...

Me, too, even if the computer is fast the network might be slow.

Moreover, I think it's potentially dangerous to use field rules to define calculated fields, and then also use the post field rule to send the computed value to another table. I would be concerned that subsequent changes to any of the fields which are used in the Calc field will cause it to recompute, without triggering a new post for the incremental difference.

To me the field rule post is primarily useful in a data entry schema which prevents the user from making changes once the original record is saved. If a change is required a new record would be entered with an offsetting entry, which in turn would be posted to the destination table.

-- tom

Comment

All, especially Jerry,
                  I will reroute my thinking on accomplishing my post rule. I guess since this has worked before from V4 back without any discernable (sure wish this forum had spell checker) problems, I expected V5 to take it and run. I do very little code writing, and take what I think is the easy path. I guess in this case I got lost. I will try Jerry's pointers, and let you know the result.
                  I am using a Pentium 4 on this computer with no networking and Windows XP Home.
                  Keith mentioned to me about all the buttons I have and that it might be confusing to data entry people. I am the only one basically using this program, and I put all those buttons to have something large to hit to change screens in V4. When I am comfortable with V5 or V6, I will get rid of them and use the Alpha's buttons at the bottom. I'm not big on having a polished program, just one that works. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I am a little embarrassed at having pro's looking into my creation.
                  Thanks for the help, and I hope that this is somehow related to the "Qty * Sell1" calculation in the "catline-"linetotal" problem I had mentioned in that earlier thread this week.
                  I suppose some of you are wondering where I came up with such strange table names. I have two types of customers, catalog (mailorder) and local called on by salesmen. "Armail" stood for "accounts receivable mail customers", "Catline" for "Catalog line items", etc, etc.
                  I have used these names since the 70's and have become as common to me as my kids names.
                  Thanks again,
                  Larry

Comment

Do we dare ask what your kids names are? LOL just kidding Larry. Don't ever be embarrassed to ask for help, that is what this forum is here for.
                    Cheryl
                    #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
                    http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

Cheryl,
                      Real strange that you asked that. My 9 yearold grandaughter asked me yesterday if I knew her middle name. I am not going to make a fool(anymore of a) of myself on this forum, so I won't tell you what I answered. I will tell you that it is the same middle name as one of my daughters.
                      After my last response, I checked Alpha Sports to see how they handled the posting. I swear that I did not copy their way, but it is almost exactly how I did my invoice with the calculation and the posting at the same time. The only difference is that Alpha Sports seems to be working and MPS is not.
                      I will try Jerry's sugestions, and who knows, I might someday be a pogramer and be able to spell it,too.
                      I'm off to night-night. I can't keep the hours that some of you stay up to, unless you are in some of the far west time zones.
                      Thanks and Good Night, (You see that I am using "Thanks" a whole lot?)
                      Larry

Comment

Jerry,
                        I think I understood the changes you had me make , but have another problem.
                        1: changed catline-"linetotal to user entered
                        2: went to event tab and clicked on record events. typed in "catline-"linetotal = catline-"qty * catline-"sell1"
                        The first line invoiced comes up with $0
                        The second line invoiced comes up with the first lines total
                        and so forth down the line.
                        The posting to QOH is still not working all the time.
                        I hoped I mentioned that I do have the Home Edition. I can't imagine that this would make any difference in this particular case.
                        I will try the rest of the steps you mentioned.
                        Thanks,
                        Larry

Comment

Larry

The event you want to use for the code for linetotal is the CanSaveRecord event. This fires just before the record is saved and after the data is entered. I have the full version, not the home version, but the calculation works fine every time for me. The core code in both versions is the same so there should be no difference in behavour. I could send an example, but it wouldn't run in your version.

As for the posting problem, I didn't see any problems with your sample. The posting rules look like they should work.

Jerry

Comment

Jerry,
                            I hate to be a thorn, but I did use the CanSaveRecord event. I just forgot to mention it in my last post. I must be doing something wrong.
                            I recopied my V4 app into a new folder and opened it up with V5 and got the exact same results. V4 works like a charm. Later today, I am going to try the trial version of V6. I think I have a few days left to use it. If I have no problems with the posting, I upgrade to that.
                            Larry

Comment

Jerry, or anyone who wants to look at my problem,
                              I did not get to try my app in the trial version V6, as my thirty days had run out. I have tried the fixes suggested, but still am having the same problems with the posting. A zipped app is in a previous post on this thread.
                              Any help would be appreciated,
                              Larry

Comment

Working...
                              X