Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Upgrade Costs with A5, Home Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade Costs with A5, Home Edition

I have been a long-time Alpha Four and Alpha Five customer. I am considering upgrading from Alpha Five, version 4 to Alpha Five, version 5, home edition. I am not a commercial application developer.

I have two questions:
    (1) What is the upgrade cost for A5, Home Edition?
    (2) Would the upgrade purchase cost for A5, Home Edition, be credited to the upgrade cost for the full version of Alpha Five, V5, if I decide later to go that route?

Art Cohen

RE: Upgrade Costs with A5, Home Edition

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphaphorum/read.php3?num=11&id=28660&loc=0&offset=40&sortby=lastreply&direction=desc&thread=28660#MSG28681

Lenny Forziati
    Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
    Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Thanks for the response.

While the marketing of A5, V5 Home Edition, may have the potential to offer non-commercial Alpha customers a reasonable upgrade path, its pricing does not make sense. While I do not find the $99 price to be unreasonable, the failure to allow credit for the payment toward further upgrade to the full version of Alpha Five, Version 5, suggests to me that Alpha Software is grudgingly offering the Home Edition and desires to punish those customers who opt for it! What do I mean? Anyone who tries the Home Edition, and subsequently upgrades to the full version, does not pay $299, but in fact will have to have invested $398 -- $99 plus $299. This makes the Home Edition a dubious investment.

It appears that Alpha Software has made the business decision to make Alpha Five a developers' product, and to leave the casual or SOHO users behind.

It seems to me that if credit were allowed for the purchase price of the Home Edition, more customers might purchase it and subsequently upgrade to the full version. This would appear to be a win-win situation for both the customers and for Alpha Software.

Art Cohen

Comment

Arthur,

This is from the q&a section regarding the Home Edition:

If I purchase the Alpha Five Home edition and I decide later to upgrade to the Full edition of Alpha Five, what will it cost me?
        You will qualify for the Alpha Five V5 upgrade price.

Comment

Thanks. I read that too. However, that is not fair from my point of view, as I explained above.

Art Cohen

Comment

Not sure what you think isn't fair. The reply clearly states you WILL qualify for the upgrade price of $299. What do you want?

Comment

I want $299 for upgrade less $99 credit for the Home Edition should I chose to purchase that before upgrading to the full version.

Comment

Arthur,

You want to purchase the full version for $100 less than the rest of us. If you purchase the Home Edition and decide to purchase the full version, and if they allow you credit of $99, essentially, you are getting both programs for the price of the full version and the Home Edition is "Free"!

Basically, you want your cake and eat it too! Plus a discount! Both programs for $200? Surely, you jest!

kenn
                TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Ken,

Your concept is right, but your math is wrong. I think he wants both for $299, the upgrade price for the full version alone.

-- tom

Comment

Not at all. I consider the Home Edition to be a crippled version of the full product, and a way of trying Version 5 without making the larger investment. If I upgrade to the full version the Home Edition will become shelfware since it will not be able to run applications produced with the full product. These are not really two distinct products.

Comment

Okay $99 is a lot of money.
                      Why buy (maybe) a wrong version and not use the free trial first?
                      Please download the full version and look at it yourself!
                      Most things are simple but unfortunately only after the first time

Comment

I see A5v5 Full and Home as different products. If I had them both, I'd use them for different purposes.

We're all familiar with the many ways I could use the Full version.

I'd use the Home version to create an application that I might sell or give to a client, friend, or associate who was capable of, or might need to, modify(ing) the application and/or who thought they couldn't afford the full version of A5v5 to run the app.

That, to me, is a new market that I don't have with Full version (and no Runtime). So I still think the Home version is one-heck of a good deal and I'm recommending it to several potential new Alpha clients.

The way I see it, Alpha is positioning this entry level product on same "footing" as their Previous version of the Full product should one decide to Upgrade to the Current version of the Full product. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that - but I accept that the Home Edition is NOT intended to be an Upgrade of v4.5 - it's a different line.

I think this new Edition of A5v5 fills a significant niche - I am very pleased to see it and I hope the time to purchase is not very "limited" I hope it will attract lots of new users who can learn what the potential of A5 is - and I think many of them will have no hesitation to upgrade to Full version when they want to develop multi-user or more secure applications.

Why is it that some people can't just accept a good deal and move on, without trying to squeeze a little more out of it ?? I don't get it !!

My 2 cents - no offence (to anyone) intended.

Bob

Comment

Bob:

That's an interesting concept. Since I am a user who develops applications for my own use rather than for a market I look at it from a different perspective.

Art

Comment

Art,

First, it sounds like you may never need the full version since you are only developing applications for personal use. You certainly won't miss the runtime and network capabilities, that means you're only giving up the Xdialog Genie. If your applications require Xdialog, and they may well not, you can still use Xdialog but you'll have to hand-code it.

But are you saying there is no value in having the Home Edition to use until the time that you decide you need to upgrade to full version? If that's the case, why not just save your $99 and wait until you're ready to buy the full version. That way you get full credit for the money you spent on the Home Edition ($0) and you haven't lost out on anything by doing without the "worthless" version.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk here, I'm just trying to point out that the Home Edition itself is valuable, even if you do in fact later upgrade to the full version. And since it is worth having, it is worth paying some $ for. It would certainly be nice if Alpha gave away all their software for free, but they probably wouldn't be in business for too long and then we'd all loose out.

Just my $.02

JB

Comment

Jack,

I agree with you. In fact, even though I have the full version already, I'm thinking of buying the home edition, too. I'd like for my teen aged son to use his pc for something other than Everquest, so I'm thinking our little project this summer will be to coach him along the process of building his first database. The home edition looks ideal for this. It will be exactly what we need, at a reduced cost.

Furthermore, my chuch could buy the home edition and run any of my vers 4.5 applications, in stand alone mode.

-- tom

Comment

Working...
                              X