Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Email Attachments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email Attachments

I need alpha five to automatically overwrite attachments of the same name when it downloads them and puts them in the attachments directory, rather than adding a number string out at the end.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Brandi

RE: Email Attachments

By design, A5 will not overwrite attachments when downloading email.

While you may have a specific need for this, I think that most people would not want this because a new email that you received would mess up your historical record of emails.

Why do you need the attachments to be overwritten?

A simple solution would be to copy all of the attachments in the attachments folder to a backup folder and then empty the folder before downloading email.

Comment

That won't work for me. I already delete the attachments, but there is a possiblity that the user will receive two emails at a time that have the same named attachment.

What I am doing exactly is this:

I have store level clients that process data on a daily basis. Each day as they close out for the day, the system automatically generates an email message that gets sent to their corporate office with the most recent 15 days of history in a zip file.

The controller at the corporate office then checks his email, it downloads the attachments, and puts them in a directory that I have defined. He then in turn imports that data so that he can print reports at his office.

All works perfectly in theory, except that the stores are open 7 days a week, and the office only 5. My solution to that was to tell the system not to email on the weekends, but where I run into trouble is that if the controller ever is away from the office for a day, the emails will stack up in his box, and in order for the imports to work correctly the files have to have a specific name, so when it downloads them, it adds a zero, a 1 etc to the end of the file name. So there is one file that has the correct name, but the newer files, the ones that really should be getting imported, are the ones getting renamed.

You are right about "most people", I don't argue that, but your application has to work and be customizable for all people to be truly successful. I think that it would be wise to have a flag setting of some kind, so that the "weird" people like me can accomplish the tasks they need to accomplish. If you really think about it, when you check your email in outlook or yahoo or whatever, you are given the option whether or not you want to download an attachment, but we aren't given that option in Alpha5. It just does it. We have no control or very limited control, so I think we should have the option of overwriting files of the same name. If either of those options were available either the overwrite, or actually having to tell the system to download, my problem would be solved.

Comment

Brandi,

If I understand your situation correctly, if Alpha worked the way you wanted (overwrote files), you would end up losing a days worth of information which I doubt you want. What you should instead do is have your processing script look for all files with a specific prefix and process all files that match. In that way, you can process several days of data at once.

-Lenny

Lenny Forziati
        Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
        Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

You won't loose data unless it uses the first file that it receives. And even then you really wouldn't because it would pick it up the next day. That is why the system exports 15 days at a time.

It processes several days at once now. I want to avoid unzipping and processing several files from the same store, because it will take too much time. If I just process the last one sent, I get all of the data.

Comment

Hi Brandi....

I skimmed through this pretty fast, but from your last post I think that I get the idea. What If you used Xdialog to list all the files in that special folder in an array & let you choose which one to use as the import. You know that the file names are incrimented so filename03.txt is more current than filename02.txt. Then either delete the all of the files except the most current one that you selected & either rename it to the standard filename that you have setup for the import or continue with your import the file that is left?

just a thought

doug

BRANDI MARQUINA wrote:
            -------------------------------
            You won't loose data unless it uses the first file that it receives. And even then you really wouldn't because it would pick it up the next day. That is why the system exports 15 days at a time.

It processes several days at once now. I want to avoid unzipping and processing several files from the same store, because it will take too much time. If I just process the last one sent, I get all of the data.

Comment

Doug, I like that idea. Even better would be to have the script which does the import build the array of potential import filenames, and where the 'root name' matches, discard all but the one with the highest extension. Would be invisible to the user.

-- tom

Comment

Tom....

Its great when your only limit is your own creativity..... There are several ways to handle any given situation! Filtering out the unwanted files in the background sounds like a good way to handle it, I agree!

doug

Comment

...... Now if I could just learn to be creative....life would be good!!

Comment

Thanks everyone for your support. This is what I had done last week, but I guess I was just whining, and wanted there to be an easier way.

Thanks,

Brandi

Comment

Working...
                    X