Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Speed testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speed testing

Has anyone done any testing of load speed of A5 on a network optimized app with graphics and without?
    I have an app developed on an Athlon 1.6 w. 512 meg ram. On this machine it runs fine with what I would call snappy performance. When I run this on slower machines on the network, ie. 450 mhz, it really slows down. The graphics (jpgs and bitmaps) are on the client machines. If it made a big difference I would strip all the graphics as they are cosmetic only. I don't want to strip them though if it doesn't make any difference. Any ideas?

Russ

RE: Speed testing

Russ

Graphics can slow down any system, regardless of the program being used. There are a few ways to improve the situation. First, use the lowest resolution graphics you can. If the graphic is just for screen use, try 72 dpi and set the size to the size you want to display. For example a full screen display graphic for a 800 x 600 monitor should be 800 x 600 at 72 dpi, which creates a file size of about 1.4 meg. One thing that helps is to use bmp graphics since they don't have to decompress to view. This will be usually be slightly faster than using jpg. Another thing that may improve speed is to set most graphics to absolute size, rather than stretch, since this doesn't require any manipulation by the program to display.

I have used a number of graphics in applications, including full screen backgrounds. These open quite quickly, even with a 300 mhz processor. I try to follow the rules above and try to keep large grahics as simple as possible and no one has mentioned any speed issues, even on very slow computers.

Jerry

Comment

Russ

By the way, since the speed of a terminal running optimized is primarily determined by the terminal hardware since everything running locally, a 450 mhz machine will be significantly slower that a 1.6 ghz in all actions. With A5V5, a 450 mhz computer is at the very lower end of acceptable, although I have run A5V5 on a 300 mhz machine. Most people would say that a 1.4 to 1.6 ghz processor is a more normal lower limit to get good performance.

Jerry

Comment

thanks Jerry, Yeah, I know faster would be better, but unfortunately thats not in the cards at the moment. We have to do with what we have for the most part. What you say is pretty much what I figured, I hadn't thought of the jpg decompression though, so that's a good idea. I have a lot of bitmaps on buttons etc. I will probably leave these but take a look at the jpg's since they don't do anything anyway.

Hopefully by the end of the year we can bump everyone with slow machines up to something new-- lets hope the economy takes off, I think it's time for it to.

Russ

Comment

Russ

I haven't found that bitmaps on buttons have any real effect on speed. I usually stick to the built in bitmaps which load very fast. If you are specifying external bitmaps, I have found the best course is to embed them. If you link them, it is very easy to lose the link, plus it does seem slower than an embedded bitmap.

Jerry

Comment

Yes but. For most apps performing most functions you should not notice all that much difference between 450 mhz and, say, 1.6 ghz. If you do there is most likely some other explanation such as a mucked up windows setup (win98 especially seems to get sluggish after a year or so of loading this and that program) or something having to do with the network (protocols, cables, a slow hub instead of a fast switch, etc.) or a slow hard drive. I have 500 mhz win98se networked machines that seem remarkably fast while others are slow as can be. In one real slow case all we did is replace the hard drive ($75), load w2k instead of win98se and just that quick it became, relatively speaking, a speed demon.

But then too, I rarely use graphics in my apps, so I have no experience with the difference that might make. But I don't think it would make much difference.

One last thing. One of my clients recently switched from a 10BaseT hub to a 100BaseTX switch. As the numbers 10 mps vs. 100 mps indicate, it is a fantastic increase in speed for things that have to flow over the network. The only hitch was that in the wall cables that worked at 10 mps would not work at all at 100 mps. Regular Cat 5 cables should have worked but many did not. We had to replace everything with Cat 5 Enhanced (Cat 5e) cables and pay more attention to going over things like florescent lights. This of course has nothing to do with loading forms from the local workstation. It's just an aside that may be of interest to some.

Ray Lyons

Comment

Switching to win2k from 98se is on the list also but 98 is bought and paid for 2k isn't so that's waiting too. Our network is all switched 100 meg, so we're OK there but I also have seen that there are fast win 98 machines and slow ones. I also have seen what appear to be vast differences between motherboards (probably due to chipset) as well. One area where I do notice a difference with A5 is opening and positioning forms. On The fast machines you really cant see the locating. On the slow ones its obvious. Not a big deal but it's noticeable. Also some of the screens paint kind of funny (as in slowly) I assume this is the video card, but we don't buy gamer video cards for office machines.

Russ

Comment

FYI, I have found that ATI still makes some comparatively inexpensive ($30 to $80) video cards that work well with A5. Good warranty and support. Other even less expensive brands I have tried were a mixed bag and not worth fooling with. On my development machine I have an ATI AGP card with 128MB of DDR memory, analog, digital and TV out capable of running two monitors at once and that can be had for about $115. Too much for all the workstations but nice for a development machine.

I have also had good luck with the integrated video on Intel motherboards (what many Dell machines use) that I build into workstations myself and that only costs $7 - $15 more than an Intel board without integrated video.

Ray Lyons

Comment

Working...
                X