Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Is Alpha V5 Up To The Task.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Alpha V5 Up To The Task.

Hi All

Q1: is A5 a true client server product

Q2: how many tables can I link together for a set and still get speedy results over
    A network I saw a post about only connecting 2 tables for a form in many cases
    You need to connect up more then 2 tables in a set and still get speedy response
    Over a network.

Q3: can I build applications for anytime anyplace on any device meaning I want
    To be able to get to my data on a cell phone (WAP) a web browser (HTTP) and
    HTTPS) and voice enable my application.

Q4: can we use XML in A5

Q5: can A5 use tree like list boxes to give it an explorer feeling

Q6: y are the forms not rich looking like MS VS.NET I have played around a bit
    With A5 and no matter how I slice the cake I cant get a rich professional look
    Like visual studio Y.

I don�t want to have to learn 2 or 3 different products to get the above results is
    A5 up to the task or should I go with the big boys Microsoft I don�t want to get
    Landlocked at some point like I did with Alpha DOS after spending 18 Months
    In development this would not make Ray a happy camper (We are giving you a
    Shot hear lets hear your comments)

Thanks
    Ray

RE: Is Alpha V5 Up To The Task.

Ray:

I can address Q1 and Q2 (from a 4.5 look getting ready to upgrade to 5 and can't wait).

Q1 - I beleive it is truely client server based if you build it correctly. I currently have close to 20 different apps running in three states over a frame relay network. The development time is slow (making changes adding new features, etc.), but actually using the apps with the runtime version, there is little noticeable speed lose (I only have T1's and a couple of them have multiple PVC's running on them)

Q2 - I've never run into a problem with the number of tables in a set. About ten of the above apps have multiple sets with well of ten tables associated. They work just fine. I try to limit my relationships to what seems logical for the app that I'm building. These apps track everything from jobs to invoicing to inventory and just about anything else you can think of. I'm working on a interface with a new Unix box that our corporate requires us to use. Their having more trouble than I am.

A5 has a lot more features than 4.5 and I've been building some pretty good user screen presentations using 4.5 as well as 5 (I have 5 at home doing some other work).

This applications is one the easiest and most powerful things I've every used. There isn't much I've found over the years that I haven't been able to do (and I rarely right any code. I let Alpha do it for me)

Hope this helps a little.

Bob

Comment

Hi All

Q1: is A5 a true client server product

Q2: how many tables can I link together for a set and still get speedy results over
      A network I saw a post about only connecting 2 tables for a form in many cases
      You need to connect up more then 2 tables in a set and still get speedy response
      Over a network.

Q3: can I build applications for anytime anyplace on any device meaning I want
      To be able to get to my data on a cell phone (WAP) a web browser (HTTP) and
      HTTPS) and voice enable my application.

Q4: can we use XML in A5

Q5: can A5 use tree like list boxes to give it an explorer feeling

Q6: y are the forms not rich looking like MS VS.NET I have played around a bit
      With A5 and no matter how I slice the cake I cant get a rich professional look
      Like visual studio Y.

I don�t want to have to learn 2 or 3 different products to get the above results is
      A5 up to the task or should I go with the big boys Microsoft I don�t want to get
      Landlocked at some point like I did with Alpha DOS after spending 18 Months
      In development this would not make Ray a happy camper (We are giving you a
      Shot hear lets hear your comments)

Thanks
      Ray

Comment

Hello Ray,

>>Q1: is A5 a true client server product >Q2: how many tables can I link together for a set and still get speedy results over A network>Q3: can I build applications for anytime anyplace on any device meaning I want To be able to get to my data on a cell phone (WAP) a web browser (HTTP) and HTTPS) and voice enable my application. >Q4: can we use XML in A5 >Q5: can A5 use tree like list boxes to give it an explorer feeling>Q6: y are the forms not rich looking like MS VS.NET I have played around a bit

Comment

Ray:

I'm not what could be considered an expert in either VS or Alpha. However, I do have experience programming in VS 6 and Access, and am now learning Alpha. Here's my 2 cents:

Alpha has many things going for it in terms of pre-existing (canned) functionality vs Visual Studio. For one thing, it's very easy to do things with email and document conversions in Alpha, whereas in VS I know I'd wind up having to go in through MAPI and OLE to do some of the things I would want to do. I do agree that Alpha does not quite seem to have some of the "niceties" in terms of stylesheets and icons/bmps that VS has, but keep in mind that VS has the entire MS op-sys library to draw on!

I really can't answer your questions about XML, except to say that I believe the new A5WAS will bring the power of Alpha to the web...hopefully XBasic will incorporate some XML extensions in future versions.

Hope this has been informative, if not helpful.

Dennis Jones

Comment

To all so far thank you for your input I also purchases
            The 4.5 upgrade and I am suppose to get a discount on V5
            Anyone no how to get the discount

Ray

Comment

I am not sure there is a discount. I upgraded from 4.5 and got a credit back for my 4.5 purchse. That depends, as I understand it, when you bought 4.5.

Comment

Ray:

Alpha will indeed "credit" what you paid for your A5v4.5 product, towards your A5v5 license upgrade.

Contact a customer service representative at Alpha Software directly, (781) 229-4500. They will be happy to look up your previous v4.5 purchase information, and tell you what your A5v5 net upgrade cost will be.

Please note the v4.5 rebate expires end of business next Monday, March 31, 2003. You will need to make your a5v5 purchase prior to (or on) that date for your v4.5 rebatte to be applied to your a5v5 upgrade.

-Jeannette
                Customer Service Representative, Alpha Software

Comment

Hi Jim

Thank you for the reply I will have to find something to
                  Show you but all I can say is the forms are crisp and sharp
                  (Professional) looking the forms have depth I can�t explain
                  It O I no look at the A5WAS server control panel page
                  was.alphasoftware.com/configuring.html
                  The page is clean with a nice line going around to separate the detail aria this is just one example.

The last time I played with V5 you could not get this look
                  And you could not put a heading in the frame like the word
                  "Detail" can you do this now? Can you indent the line now?
                  Nice and clean?

Than you
                  Ray

Comment

Selwyn and Richard may kill me for this, but after reading several of your posts (and even replying to one of them) I am going to be so bold as to suggest that you would probably be better off going with, as you put it, the "big boys" at Microsoft.

Comment

Hi Ray

Thank you for the reply could you please tell me y the
                      Big boys over Alpha if you prefer you may email me and
                      Thank you for being so bold better to have a happy customer
                      Then dump 18 months of work into a product then have to
                      Go else were I have to refer customers sometimes I don�t
                      Like it but you no what they remember and they will come
                      Back for something else so (ALPHA DONT SHOOT THE MESENGER)

Ray

Comment

I was saddened to hear of the untimely death of Ray Lyons :)

Russ

Comment

Working...
                        X