Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Export records to Excel 4.0 files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Export records to Excel 4.0 files

Running Alpha 5 V4.5 under Windows 98 and recently upgraded from MS Word 97 to MS Word 2002. I routinely export ranges of records from Alpha to Excel 4.0 (.xls) then use these files as data sources attached to Word documents for mail merge.
    The problem is that Word 2002 (Word 97 did) does not read Excel 4.0 files as a data source. Is there a fix in Alpha that would allow exports to a later version of Excel that could be read by Word 2002? I have found a couple of work-arounds but they are time consuming.
    Frank Mills

RE: Export records to Excel 4.0 files

Hi Frank

Yes it does, if you want a quick howto let me know.

Chris
    If It Works First Time, There's Something Wrong!!!

Comment

I too would like to know. My excel does not have a problem reading the older version exported but I can not export the older version to a shared network drive.

Comment

I too would be interested in a fix to A5V5 that would allow export of data to a later version of Excel than 4.0.

Thanks very much for any help.

Leon Brachman
        [email protected]

Comment

This has been discussed previously on the forum and a number of people posted code to convert to excel 4.0. Search for the thread titled "badly needed function" (Put it in quotes)

Jerry

Comment

Look in the code archive, there is a function (almost entirely the work of other developers,) that converts from any late version to version 4 silently. Although the name of the file to convert is hardcoded, in the example, a variable could easily be put there. But, to reverse the process, to save FROM ver 4 TO the most recent version on the respective computer (would depend on the version of excel on the respective machine,) I have experimented successfully with the following amendment to the function: (I am using OfficeXP on XP Pro.) While I haven�t been able, yet, to figure out if �1� as a constant for xlNormal is universal to Excel, I am betting on the cum that it is. Let me know if this works with your version of office.

After you export, you would feed the exported . xlsfile to this function giving it a second name for the saved version:
            Here is an example use:

exceltonormal("c:\fischer\source1.xls", "C:\fischer\source3.xls")
            [Source1.xlx is a version 4 and source3.xls saved as current on my machine.]
            note that you need to send the full path with the function!

FUNCTION ExcelToNormal AS C(excelname AS C, newname AS C)
            Dim xlApp as p
            xlApp = ole.create("excel.Application")
            xlApp.Visible=.f. 'this line doesn't completely stop a momentary flash-display
            xlApp.Workbooks.Open(excelname)
            xlApp.displayalerts=.f.
            xlApp.ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs(newname,1) '1 may be a constant for normal
            xlApp.Workbooks.Close()
            xlApp.Quit()
            delete xlApp
            END FUNCTION

Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
            972 524 8714
            [email protected]

Comment

Chris,
              Thanks for the prompt reply. I would really appreciate your help. A couple of other things I did not mention is that Word 2002 will open a 4.0 Excel file as a document. I can then "save as" to a Word document and can use the .doc file as a data source. The other interesting thing is that routine exports that I have set up with buttons and will overwrite the 4.0 file with a new range of records will still work since the Word document was attached before the Word upgrade from version 97. The problem arises when I try to change data sources.
              Looking forward to you solution.
              Frank

Comment

Frank,

The following works with excel 4.0 files.

You need to use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) to connect to the Excel worksheet that contains the data that you want to use. To do this, follow these steps:

1.Start Word, and then open a new blank document.

2.On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the General tab.

3.Click to select the Confirm conversion at Open check box, and then click OK.

4.On the Tools menu, point to Letters and Mailings, and then click Mail Merge Wizard.

5.In the Mail Merge task pane, select the type of document that you want to work on, and then click Next.

6.Under Select starting document, select the starting document that you want to use, and then click Next.

7.Under Select recipients, click Use an existing list, and then click Browse.

8.In the Select Data Source dialog box, locate the folder that contains the Excel workbook that you want to use as your data source, select the workbook, and then click Open.

9.In the Confirm Data Source dialog box, click MS Excel Worksheets via DDE (*.xls), and then click OK.

10.In the Microsoft Excel dialog box, under Named or cell range, select the cell range or worksheet that contains the data that you want to use, and then click OK.

NOTE: Your data now appears in the Mail Merge Recipients dialog box with the same formatting that appears in the Excel worksheet.

(Taken from Microsoft Knowledge Article 320473)

Regards

Chris
                If It Works First Time, There's Something Wrong!!!

Comment

I don't know Word 2002 But I would guess the simplest way would be to export the A5 Records into a ASC or rich text file and forget the Excel.

Ken

Comment

Chris,
                    Thanks for sending me instructions to link Excel 4.0 files as Word 2002 data sources for Word. It works very well. I did a little more experimenting with other Alpha export files and discovered that Word will read Lotus files as a data source. You might want to give it a try.
                    Thanks again.
                    Frank

Comment

Frank:

My goal is to always accomplish tasks in the easiest and most efficient manner. As I read through this thread, I kept asking myself why people make things more complicated than it has to be.

Please correct me if I�m wrong, but can�t you just open up the relevant Alpha Five dbf file directly from within Excel as a dbf file? If that is true, then you can simply save the dbf file as an xls file and you�re finished.

Doing the above completely bypasses all of the difficulties in exporting from A5 to Excel and it also seems to resolve your challenge. I don�t use Excel so maybe I�m missing something that is obvious to regular Excel users.

Robert

Comment

Robert

It is more impressive to make it difficult. I don't know about Excel 2000, but Excel 97 opens an Alpha dbf fine. There are some limitiations on field size and formating and memos don't transfer, but everything else does. There are a few quirks if you want to save the file as a dbf. Attached is a text file copied right out of the Excel help file about dbf formats.

Jerry

Comment

Working...
                        X