Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Must Push Buttons 4 Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must Push Buttons 4 Times

I have a tabbed object on a form with 6 tabs. The 6th tab has a form for data entry. Below the tabbed object are 3 buttons, Cancel, Save and Close. After entering the data, no matter which button I choose, I must press the button a 4th time before it activates.

Perhaps one ecplanation is that there could be 4 instances of the form open. That'd be a cute trick.

Any idea why 4 times?

Thanks,

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

RE: Must Push Buttons 4 Times

FWIW, I have a button on the form to take me to the CP. One press is all it takes. I also have another form with a tabbed object with one tab for data entry and buttons below the tabbed object for Cancel, Save and Close. One press and it's close out time.

kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Ken

By any chance are you running 1036. I had a similar but different problem in that I coult'nt get all the buttons TO FRONT. I have 10 buttons & at the most could get 2 at any time to the front. reverted to 1035 and all is well.

John

Comment

Kenn,

I have also had this happen when I have copied objects from somewhere else. In this instance, you could have 2, 3 or more instances of the objects themseleves right on top of one another. To check if this is the case for you, open the form in design mode, click on the button, and delete it (do not save the form yet). If the button still appears to be there, you just deleted a second instance of your object. If this is the case, then click on it again, and see if there is still another underneath. Keep doing this until the button is gone, and then you'll know how many extra instances of each object there are. Then close the form without saving it. Open it again in design mode, and click on every object on the form and hit delete; do this enough times to get rid of the extra instances of each object, until leaving only one of each.

Be careful; I would suggest that you first make a duplicate of the form, and work with that one. When all is well, delete the original and rename the new one to the original name.

I hope this helps.

Gary
        Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Gary,

The 'hidden' copies will also be revealed if you simply click and drag the 'top' copy elsewhere on the form.

-- tom

Comment

Or you can use the object explorer to go to each instance.

Russ

Comment

John,

Yes, I am running that build.

Gary,

I think you've hit upon the problem. I was using a conditional object to display and enter data. It worked OK but I wanted consistency so I moved the conditional object off to the side and replaced it with a tabbed object. Then I copied each layer of the conditional object to the appropriate tab of the tabbed object.

I suspect if I delete the buttons and recreate them, that might solve the problem. Still, I'm curious why one button works on the 1st click and the rest don't. Oh well, as long as I get it to work....

Tom - Russ,

I'll try deleting and replacing the buttons. If that doesn't work, then I try your suggestions.

What a BLESSIING to have varied suggestions.

Than you very much!!!

kenn

Comment

OK, here's an update.

I deleted the buttons (there was only one each) and tried Tom & Russ' suggestions. No other instances of the fields.

Once I remove the subform on the 6th tab, all is well. Put the subform back on the tabbed page and the problem reoccurs. (There is only one instance of the subform). FWIW, the buttons are not on the subform or the tabbed object but on the form below the tabbed object.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

kenn

Comment

One more thing...This only happens after the subform is put into new record entry mode.

Baffled....

kenn

Comment

This has really got me baffled. If I open the form and cancel it, it cancels on the 1st click. However, once I add one keystroke, it takes 3 presses to cancel or close the form.

I even put a button on the form (not the tabbed object) with the same results.

I've followed Gary's suggestion, only one object of each and got no results with Tom and Russ' suggestions.

I would post a zip file but it's too sensitive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

kenn

Comment

Hello Ken,

Have you put a debug(1) command at the start of the buttons actions and watched what happens?

Jim

Comment

Hi Jim & et al,

No I hadn't tried the debug so I tried it. It ran it's course w/o a hitch.

Next I created a new record, field by field and found the problem. I have 2 simple lookup fields defined in the field rules. After making a choice in the first lookup field, I closed the form, needing an extra click. After making a choice in the 2nd lookup field, I needed another extra click to close the form.

I went to the field rules and removed the check in the Disp[lay as Drop Down List. Opened the form and tried another record. Walla, only one click to save and exit the form. Add the check back in the box and an extra click is needed to close the form.

Cause, The Display as Drop Down List has the flu. Anyone else notice this problem? Uisng 1410 1036.

kenn

Comment

Is this a subform or embedded browse? If subform, can you eliminate it? and perhaps do the same thing another way, maybe with variables?

Russ

Comment

Hi Russ,

It's a subform on a tabbed object. I also created a modal popup form run from a button on the form (not the subform)which has the same behavior.

Now that you mention a variable, I have another thought on a work around which I'll try tonight.

Thanks,

kenn

Comment

Working...
                            X