Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Are custom queries limited?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are custom queries limited?

I have a multi-state push button for each letter A � Z on a form,so I need 26 possible queries.
    I don�t get them all.

Who made a form like that?

Who has fixed this problem?

Exemple for a multi-state push button?
    Help / Books / Introduction to action scripting /page 97.

Ton
    Most things are simple but unfortunately only after the first time

RE: Are custom queries limited?

Check Customer form in AlphaSports. You should be able to find it in the AlphaSports folder, in the Samples folder, in the Alpha Five program folder.

-- tom

Comment

Hi Tom

Thats exact the problem.
      A message appears: Maximum number of indexes attached.
      After that the application accepts only the already chosen letters.

How can we exceed the maximum number of indexes?
      Who has a solution?

Ton

Comment

Hi Ton,
        I would look at how this is set up. You don't need an index for each letter, just either a query or a range, depends on which you prefer. The manual gives some info on when to use each. Query is easier but not always the fastest. See pages 305-6 in the xbasic manual.

Russ

Comment

If you look at AlphaSports, customer information in design mode you will see that there are NOT 26 different queries. Click on the "Design Notes" button and you will access a complete tutorial on step-by-step how the A-Z selection works.

Alphasports is a valuable resource, if you do have to make an effort to really dig in and see the coding & techniques and the step-by-step tutorials.

-Barry

Comment

Hi Ton,

Sorry, I don't follow. Are you saying that AlphaSports won't run on your machine?

-- tom

Comment

there are a maximum of 15 open queries at a time.

however, i can't think of an application that would need 15 open queries.

after you are done with a query you can drop it.

for example,

t = table.open("customer")
              query.filter = "lastname = 'smith'"
              i = t.query.create()

'now before doing the next query
              i.query_drop()

query.filter = "lastname = 'jones'"
              i = t.query.create()

i.e. use the query_drop() method to drop unneeded queries

Comment

Russ and Barry,

Suppose I am a user of Alphasports.
                I just run the form custumer information and I �m stepping van A to Z.
                With the N the message �maximum of indexes is reached� is displayed and there is no escape and you can�t go on. What must I do as a user?
                I�ve made the same button in Introcuction to Action Scripting. The same limitation.
                I guess that somewhere in the Alpha Five Software the maximum is defined. But I can't change it.

Therefore I want to know who has a good working system and how to fix it.
                (Of course you can exit the form and open it again.)

Ton

Comment

Hi Selwyn,

I have don�t have only 15 letters to select, but from A to Z is 26. Look at the multi-state push button ( on the form.custormer_information of alphasports).
                  I don�t need all the created queries to be open all the time, but now NONE is dropped.
                  So I must exit the form en renter it because the other (N to Z ) letters refuse.
                  It looks you have 26 choises(letters) but really you have 13.
                  I would prefer to close (or delete) the querie �not used most long time ago�. Not the first opened because I could have used that one later again.
                  The queries are made in the button push moment and as I don�t give them names I dont�t know how to delete them.

Maybe Alphasports is not a good exemple. There I suppose you mostly immediatly go to another form.
                  But when you are adding and updating a mailinglist you need a lot of time with this form.

I hope it becomes clear.
                  I quit. It is almost 17:30 here.

Ton

Comment

i am not seeing a problem with alphasports customer form on my machine. i can press the different letter buttons indefinitely and i don't get an error.

try this

change this line:
                    topparent:tables:customer.query()

to:
                    tbl.query_detach()
                    topparent:tables:customer.query()

(this is in the multi-state button's onPush event)

Comment

Hi Selwyn

Can you really step through all the 26 different letters A to Z ?
                      I can go from letter A until letter N. Then the limitation is reached.

Think as a user updating all kind of names and addresses: When you see a form like this, you don�t think that you are limited to 13 different letters.

Ton

Comment

Ton,

Using build 1410.1036 of A5V5 and the version of AlphaSports available on the download page on the Alpha Software web site, I am not limited to A..N. Just now I stepped through them all one after the other. I'm running Windows 98 SE.

-- tom

Comment

Selwyn or Tom,

I use the tbl.drop() method after using tbl.open and it works fine, allowing me to never run into the max of 15. However, how do I get around this limitation when using the tbl.get method instead of tbl.open?

Gary
                          Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

there are easy work-arounds so long as you have access to the code.

like tbl.query_detach_all()
                            or t=table.open("name")
                            t.query_detach_all()
                            t.close()

but where I am having a problem with what I think is the same cause, is opening a table in browse, and tabbing accross from field to field, and just doing ctrl-a and ctrl-z - I get the "maximum indexes..." message at some point. At that point I have to close and reopen the table.

I think in V4, that the indexes were automatically pushed out of the cache when you got to the maximum, whereas in V5 they apparently aren't.
                            Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
                            972 524 8714
                            [email protected]

Comment

I too have this problem. If I start pushing the buttons in any order they start off working as they should. However after pushing the 15th button, I get the "maximum number of indexes attached".

The table.query_detach() has no effect. Is there a table.index_detach()?

As of now the only solution is to close the form and reopen the form.

This happens in my app as well in Alphasports. Using A5v5 build 1410_1036 on a P4 2.4 processor 512MB DDR memory.

I am like Ton, I would like to see a fix, or learn of some way of coding it better to make it work.

Thanks,

Dan
                              Dan

Dan Blank builds Databases

Comment

Working...
                              X