Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

remote button push

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

remote button push

hi:

using action scripting i'm filling in the parent record and child table from data in temporary tables (works as expected). the set i'm filling in is not part of the current form that i'm in.

there is a form for the set that got filled in and it has a button on it that performs a number of posting operations. now that i've eneterd a new record into the set is there any way to "press" the button (ie activate it) by opening the form in action scripting.

regards,

ed

RE: remote button push

Ed

"Pushing" a button using xbasic is very easy if you know the object name of the button. If the button is called "button1", this one line will "push" the button.

topparent:button1.push()

To use action scripting, select inline xbasic and insert this line in the inline code, changing the name to the button object name as required.

Jerry

Comment

hi jerry:

thanks for your reply!

i thought that it may be something really complicated like that!

just a another question ... can i substitute the form name for topparent ? i was going to open the form in action scripting, press the button and close it down.

i'm now having some hesitation using the action scripting after using it extensively. the limitation of only being able to view line comments at the bottom (only on the selected line) is starting to make the code quite obtuse to view (in complex validation/posting coding).

thanks again!!

regards,

ed

Comment

Ed

You can use the form name, however relative addressing is normally the better way to go. The exception is when you have two forms open and want to access an object on one form from a script on the other. There are also a few cases where the program may have focus on a form when you think it is on another. Thsi sometimes happens with dialog forms. I usually use the relative reference and only change it if it doesn't work as expected.

Action scripting in A5V5 works rather well and is an easy method for most people. It doesn't require any knowledge of xbasic to achieve produce some nice results. But, it does have some limitations as you have seen. I rarely use action scripting although there are occasions when I will use it to generate some code and then I will change the code to xbasic. This is sometimes a real time saver.

Jerry

Comment

hi jerry:

thanks for your reply!

i'm trying to do just that (accessing an object on a form outside the current form).

indeed action scripting is very easy to use. after playing with it extensively for the last week or so i've been able to do some fairly complex things without going to inline or straight xbasic.

a quick example is i needed to build a quantity of assemblies from components. in the component inventory there were shortages for the build. by using a few append/join/intersect operations to temporary tables i was able to create the component inventory update, back order archive, component pull sheet, shortage advisory etc. etc.

the limitations can be stretched with a little imagination and the ability to very quickly create scripts definately lends to a strong reason to become familiar with it.

i've still got a few finishing touches (until i saw the fancy screen shots in that thread) to complete the inventory test module. when i get it finished i'll post it for some help on a few sticklers i can't seem to get past.

regards,

ed

Comment

Working...
          X