Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Why does Alpha 5 Slow Down My Computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does Alpha 5 Slow Down My Computer?

My system is a P3 Compaq with Windows 98. When I have A5 loaded and am in another
    program (e.g MS Word) I can feel and see a response slowdown. The CPU Usage
    sensor on my Norton System Doctor is 100%! The only other thing that has this effect on my system are some animated ads on the net.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Steve

RE: Why does Alpha 5 Slow Down My Computer?

Check CPU Usage FAQ -- tom

Comment

Click on the Frequently Asked Questions link at the top of the page and check out the topic CPU Usage. I think you will find some answers there. And yes, this is not abnormal on computers with somewhat limited resources. Contrary to what Microxxxx wants you to believe, running multiple programs at the same time can really slow a computer down.

Jerry

Comment

Thanks for the help re cpu usage faq but I am not a power user, what is a "command line argument?" Also, are there hardware upgrades that can help, eg more memory?

Steve

Comment

Hi Stephen,

You didn't mention your CPU clock speed and how much RAM is in your machine. The biggest contributor to slowing down the performance is lack of sufficient memory.
          Typically if your CPU is at least 500 Mhz and your RAM is greater than 128 Mbytes
          (I use 512) you should be okay unless your data tables are very large.

Another point to establish is how your opening table and menu are established. Tom
          Cone finally embedded in my dumbkopf head about the use of a dummy table for navigating throughout your application. My menus now are based on the dummy table
          and all buttons used to advance to another table or whatever are all closed first.
          A good check on whether everything is properly closed is to exit (the "X" in the top right corner) and note whether you went directly to the CP. If you need to close more than once, then whatever came up was not closed properly.

efs

Comment

Steve

Create a Windows shortcut to the Alpha program. Right click on the shortcut and select properties. Assuming the program is installed in the default location, you should see the following command line in the box called Target;

"C:\Program Files\A5V5\alpha5.exe"

To eliminate the dbcheck, change the line to read

"C:\Program Files\A5V5\alpha5.exe" -NODBCHECK

I have two shortcuts to the Alpha5V5 program, one with the first shortcut command and a second with the second command line and the shortcut renamed as "Alpha Five V 5.0 No Check". Actually, I have found no problems running without the check in most circumstances and the CPU usage dropped from 95 to 100% to a more reasonable 25 to 35%

Adding memory will help with some issues, particularly if the problem is from multiple programs holding memory, but won't have any real effect on CPU usage. I am currently running A5V5 on one computer with a 300 mhz PentiumII with only 64 meg of RAM and Win98. With the NODBCHECK command, I can open one or two other programs and not see any real slowdown, even in design mode in A5V5. But no matter how much RAM you have, you can get into trouble eventually. I use another computer with 640 meg of RAM and I can lock that one up if I open enough memory intensive programs.

By the way, Microxxxx I think still recommends rebooting at least once a day to clear locked memory with Win98 and WinME since both do a fairly lousy job of releasing memory when it isn't used anymore.

Jerry

Comment

From Alpha - Development or runtime - go to tools, create shortcut. Choose the options that you want and a shortcut is placed on your desktop.
              Al Buchholz
              Bookwood Systems, LTD
              Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
              Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
              Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
              When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
              "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
              Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Jerry-

Thank you. -NODBCHECK works like a charm. According to Norton almost no CPU
                usage is detected and that is with netscape running. If there is a problem due to -NODBCHECK, how will it manifest it's self?

Also, do you know how to get an A5 form to load in with the last search you made, not every record ever entered starting with the first!. I seem to remember this happened when I upgraded to 4.5.

Thanks again.

Steve

Comment

Steve

There was a very good thread on the message board a few months ago concerning this issue and Cian Chambliss of Alpha gave a good explanation of the issues. Search for "A5V5 CPU Usage in Win2000" (in quotes) and you will find the thread. The only real problem that might occur is that if you add a table to the database, it might now show until you close and reopen the database.

As for the second question, if you run a query on a table and then close the form and reopen, the query remains in effect when the form reopens, although it is lost when Alpha closes. However, if you run a find to get a record, that is not saved and closing a form will lose the pointer to that record. In this case, if you want to go back to the last record you viewed, you would need some method to capture the record number (or some record identifier) of that last record and use that captured record number to find the same record when the table is reopened. You could save it in a global variable or a special table. It is certainly possible, but might be a fair amount of work.

Jerry

Comment

Jerry-

Thank you for the "Cian Chambliss" "-NODBCHECK" reference, intresting stuff. Re A5 not coming back to last query, I found the switch. It is on the tool bar under edit - setup - query. The program comes pre configured to erase the last query. If you un-check the box it works just fine.

Steve

Comment

Speed

I tried the a7.exe -nodbcheck. Worked great. I don't if that helped the load time also, but A5 starts in 8 seconds on my pc. Granted, its a P4 3.4 w/ 2 gigs of RAM, but I read here that some wait 33 seconds for A5 to start.

Comment

Working...
                      X