Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Sys_shell Error Handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sys_shell Error Handling

I use Sys_Shell to execute a "dos batch file"

Such batch file namely "auto.bat"
    would contain data like

net use \\print_server\printer1
    copy xyz.dat \\print_server\printer1

(xyz.dat contain typical txt data to be printer by "printer1"

in most cases, such operation resulted successfully and I am
    very please with the result. where printer1 just printing out the
    xyz.dat's data, typically 10 to 20 line of texts

However, from time to time, when "\\print_server" a physical pc
    itself is experiencing problem or off line. resulting in a dos prompt window
    loking like in a lockup stage and no doubt the entire Alpha5 just wait to see
    and all other print job in queue andnot going anywhere/

Since the quality of such operation/execution is now under a dos prompt
    and looking like it is beyond Alpha's control?

How can I get a proper ackowledgement back from "system? or pc?"
    to tell me if such operations is successfull.

Furthermore, while "dos prompt" is hang with the auto.bat being executed
    and waiting, such xyz.dat file being "locked" and therefore I am not able
    to brutally force delete and forget about the job.

And lastly how to "force close" the dos prompt operation, which is partilally
    hang or looking like in a lock up stage awaitng \\print_server\printer... response.

I hope I am able to explain my problem,

Appreciate anyone's assistance,

Ken Tjia
    AM/PM
    Canada

You need to use Sys_shell_wait and an error trap in your batch file to ensure that it completes. You can find the necessary syntax for writing the batch file in many sites on the web.

You would use A5 to
    (1) check for a file name on the hard drive
    (2) If it finds that file, delete it
    (3) Create a file of that same name
    (4) Run the batch file using sys_shell_wait.
    (5) If it (the batch file) succeeds/completes, delete the file
    (6) If it fails, end the batch file but don't delete that file
    (7) The next line after sys_shell_wait checks for the existence of the file. If it's not there it knows the batch file completed successfully, if it is there the batch file failed.
    Finian

Comment

Thanks, but i do not think such function is available on version 5
      will check for it later on the day//

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
        Thanks, but i do not think such function is available on version 5
        will check for it later on the day//
        sys_shell_wait() for v5
        There can be only one.

Comment

Yes Stan, good morning
          just did a quick search myself and discover such link
          i trust this would help me a lot and will give it a serious test this afternoon/

Once again appreciate the prompt assistant

Ken Tjia

Comment

Mmm.. I just noticed that the built-in Sys_Shell_Wait was released for Vv6 and not for V5. Do a board search on sys_shell_wait and I think you'll find a version I posted that does work. If not, let me know and I'll post it again here.

You can still get by, though not as elegantly, without sys_shell_wait. Once again, the technique involves writing a file to the hard drive and then running sys_shell("Batch_file"). The last line of the batch file removes the file you wrote before starting the batch file, and the xbasic would look something like (and you MUST supply your own path information for the app_path variable below)

Code:
            if file.exists(app_path+"deletefilename.txt") then
            file.remove(app_path+"deletefilename.txt")
            end if
            fp = file.create(app_path + "deletefilename.txt", file_rw_exclusive)
            fp.write_line("Anything")
            fp.flush()
            fp.close()
            sys_shell("BatchFile")
            tryagain:
            if file.exists(app_path+app_path + "deletefilename.txt") then
            goto tryagain
            end if
            and the script will proceed when the deletefilename.txt file is removed.
            Finian

Comment

Yes, I have done such features for the last 10 days.
              Seems ok, by actually having a shadow file.

It is working but not too clean? I discover when the
              actual device (printer) is down, the command promt
              stayed on forever, despite force close, such file occupied
              forever by the system. Meaning such file will exist forever
              until the pc get reboot oneday.

Again it is acceptable, but we ran 40 plus print job and
              on purposely turn off the printer, boy it sure look ugly hi.
              with many command prompt opened and drained a great deal
              of resources.

Thanks for now,

Ken Tjia

Comment

Working...
              X