Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Pricing 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Pricing 2

Was your store required by the government to put a price on the service as the Automotive industry is with a Monrony sticker??

Dave
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

What's that got to to with the customer unless the government is setting a 'cap' on the price? Does the government require you to accept or service any and all customers?

I work in a very strict federal and state controlled environment. There are no variables, everyone has a right to apply and it's required they be treated with the utmost respect. We have lots of 'cranky and demanding clients. We go very strictly by the rules and regs and tell the unhappy ones to contact thr state and/or the feds.

Not sure you environment is that tight so you have more options than I have.

kenn
      TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Selwyn Rabins wrote:

"the only difference between v5 and v6 is that the unlimited-user runtime is not sold on our web store, but is sold directly by our sales people who will quote a price that is fair to both alpha and the customer. "

Could you explain how this works?

Does this mean that if Developer "A" and Developer "B" want to purchase an unlimited runtime, A may get a better price than B? What factors will be considered in determining the "fair" price?

Or is the "unlimited user" runtime aimed at "customers", that is, end users. If a developer creates an application for a customer who needs more than a 20-user runtime, does the customer, rather than the developer, purchase the runtime? In other words, is this runtime different from others in that it no longer allows a developer to purchase it one time and redistribute to an unlimited number of customers?

Comment

Kenn,

The government at times has set caps on car sales prices. We had 2 years of frozen prices in one stretch.

What other industry has the total cost of their merchandise plastered all over the internet? The cost of operating a dealership is not advertised though.

Note: we are careful with our advertising to get the most for our dollar. Last month it was over 50,000 = 282.00 per vehicle sold.

We have to answer to federal, state, county and city regulations on many levels. We have a representative of one or the other in our Dealership every week for something.

No, I am not as regulated as some places are.

Yes I do have to answer to many people! - wife -kids -bill collectors -Owner

Yes, I make ok money!

I DO have to treat all the customers with respect and I SHOULD have to.

You are probably on some type of salary? Hourly? I am soley commission! No sales - No money - No job!

I wish everybody had to work in a car lot for a couple weeks. It would wake them up.

You are welcome to swap jobs with me for a couple weeks if you want? We work 60 plus hours a week.

Your friend.
          Dave
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Marcel, Xbasic provides raw sockets functionality to you. From a technology standpoint, that and knowledge of the HTTP specification are all you need to write a web server for yourself which you could then price however you wished.

-Lenny

Lenny Forziati
            Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
            Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Well it took me a while, but I finally got to the crux of the bicuit in this thread. I'm a small-time independent developer with (so far) small needs.

Marcel said:
              "In your example of the golf software it might even be the question whether web functionality is of that importance for such an application."

WHAT IS a good solution for a database to be shared by a small number of users (4 or 5) spread across the US? They already have A5V5 full and runtime licenses, and they don't give a hoot whether the data comes from the internet or Santa Claus, as long as they can all share it.

For the record, personally, I think the price of the WAS seems quite reasonable for what it delivers, but so far it's more than I (my clients) need. I've built LANs and Fibre-channel SANs, but this is new ground for me.

Surely it's possible to share this database across the US without WAS, isn't it?

cheers,
              Bob Emery

Comment

Good question?

I see that it has not been answered yet. Can someone shed some light on this?

I am trying to make the decision to upgrade to v6 or make do. All of these comments about pricing makes me think that the fine folks at Alpha should have made their pricing intentions known, and more clearly stated.

I love the work that I am doing in Alpha now, but if the unlimited user structure is gone, or will now be client based, I am not sure if the upgrade is worth it.

Comment

I've been waiting also. Until you posted your message, I just figured no one else was interested in the answer.

John

Comment

All runtimes are still unlimited distribution. So a developer can still purchase a single copy and distribute it many times.

It is only the unlimted concurrent users that has changed. If you need more than the 20 user, you can contact Brett Johnston here at Alpha for more specific information on the runtime pricing. He will work with you to create a custom solution for your need based on the number of concurrent users you would like to support.

-Lenny

Lenny Forziati

Comment

Lenny,

Thanks for your answer. I don't really like "secret" pricing or haggling over prices but if that is the way you want to market, it's your call.

John

Comment

John, I don't know that the pricing is secret or requires haggling - I develop the software but I don't sell it. That is why I suggested contacting Brett, he can give you definitive answers.

-Lenny

Lenny Forziati

Comment

John:

I am in agreement with you. From what I have read, I think we are not alone...at all.

Lenny:

I would think that the powers that be would see that this new pricing structure is causing major concerns with the developers that have been using Alpha products for a while. Not having your pricing spelled out on the website as it was in the past does raise concerns.

Maybe someone needs to rethink their decision on this matter. When an issue starts to create so much confusion, and discussion, maybe it need to be looked at.

I understand you are on the development side (good job btw), but you have access to the business side of the Alpha operation. We rely on voice too. Maybe you understand and completely agree with the new pricing. Not sure...

Thank you for your response.

Mike

Comment

Unlimited Runtime Clarification:

I hope to be able to clarify some issues on Alpha�s runtime pricing for its custom runtimes.

What we have done is simply created more runtime options. We have kept our standard 3/5/10 and 20 user runtimes, which are far and away our most common runtimes used, but have now given the option to create a custom runtime over and above 20. This was based on feed back from consultants in the past who have questioned why there is nothing in between a 20 and an unlimited user runtime. We are in no way doing �secret� pricing as previously suggested, there is in fact is a schedule for runtime counts above 20 but for simplicity they are not all listed because we did not want to complicate the ordering options on the web site. Anyone wanting this schedule can email me at [email protected] and I will be happy to send it out to them.

The runtime is still an unlimited distribution runtime, so you are still able to distribute your applications to an unlimited number of users/sites.

Please feel free to call or e-mail me directly and I will be happy to address this with you.

The Bottom line is that version 6 offers many advantages that can enable you to build better applications and we want to work with you to accommodate your specific requirements.

Brett Johnson
                            (781)229-4500 Ext 11

Comment

Lenny and Brett Johnson have answered my questions and I thank them for their responses.

I withdraw my comment about "secret pricing". If there is a schedule for unlimited runtimes over 20 and it will be emailed to anyone who requests it, the pricing is certainly not secret. If a developer thinks he might one day need an over-20 concurrent user runtime, he will have some idea of what his costs will be and can weigh that as a factor in his decision to purchase or not purchase Version 6.

John

Comment

As Brett and Alpha have certainly worked with me on issues like this in the past, I almost hate to say that I think there is still a problem with not having a reasonably priced (certainly no more than $1,299!) unlimited (concurrent users) runtime, as there was with v5.

Whether it is the deveolper or a developer's client or new prospect, it was phychologically a big selling point with v5 applications to be able to say something like "go with this runtime app option and you don't ever have to worry about hitting a ceiling on concurrent users and thereby having to pony up more money." Not that many of my clients ever go over 20 concurent users (though one certainly did for about a year). Reality is not the point. For me it has been a significant a selling point to be able to say, "go with me and you can have hundreds of concurrent users for all I care." God forbid they ever had hundreds, but again, that's not the point. Maybe there is some good rationale for the switch in the way runtimes are priced, but I certainly doubt that it is going to benefit anyone.

Ray Lyons

Comment

Working...
                                X