Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Using Temporary Tables in Scripts and Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Temporary Tables in Scripts and Reports

Attached is a script that works just fine with a normal table. I'm trying to fathom how to replace the normal table with a temporary one.
    How do I initailly define the table and its fields, so I can use the temp table in a report?
    --
    Support your local Search and Rescue Unit, Get Lost!

www.westrowops.co.uk

In my limited experience I usually create a temp table by duplicating an existing table and removing the data and field rules as necessary. This duplicate has the structure needed to hold the data for reports, etc.

If you want a temp table for a summarize or crosstab operation I would run that operation and perform the above on the result.

If you examine the xbasic for an import to an existing table I believe you will find code like the following which actually imports to a temp table and then code (not included here) which appends to the existing table.

Code:
    [B]temporary_import_table[/B] = file.temp_path_get()+ "awgnash_temp_table.dbf"
    import_destination_table = "awgnash"

import_filename = filename_decode("awgfiles\rtlinva.txt")
    if file.exists(import_filename) = .f. then 
    	ui_msg_box("Error","File to import not found: '"+import_filename+"'.",ui_stop_symbol)
    	end	
    end if 

import.type = 0
    import.names = "use"
    import.file = import_filename
    import.db = [B]temporary_import_table[/B]
    import.skip_lines = 0
    import.skip_bytes = 0
    import.field_sep = ","
    import.record_sep = "<CR><LF>"
    import.text_qualifier = ""
    import.record_len = 522
    import.rem_blanks = .F.
    import.escape_newlines = .F.
    import.fields = 78
    import.field1 = "type,c,0,1,0"
    import.field2 = "vendor,c,1,7,0"
    import.field3 = "facility,c,2,1,0"
    import.field4 = "whse,c,3,2,0"
    import.field5 = "awgnum,c,4,8,0"
    import.field6 = "com,c,5,3,0"
    import.field7 = "subcom,c,6,3,0"
    import.field8 = "mpack,c,7,7,0"
    import.field9 = "stpack,c,8,7,0"
    import.field10 = "size,c,9,6,0"
    import.field11 = "blank1,c,10,9,0"
    import.field12 = "uom,c,11,2,0"
    import.field13 = "unitwt,c,12,5,0"
    import.field14 = "uwtdesc,c,13,2,0"
    import.field15 = "desc,c,14,30,0"
    import.field16 = "cost,c,15,9,0"
    import.field17 = "rwtflag,c,16,1,0"
    import.field18 = "refl,c,17,1,0"
    import.field19 = "casewt,c,18,5,0"
    import.field20 = "availflg,c,19,1,0"
    import.field21 = "rcode,c,20,1,0"
    import.field22 = "availdte,c,21,8,0"
    import.field23 = "caseupc,c,22,5,0"
    import.field24 = "zsuppress,c,23,1,0"
    import.field25 = "upc,c,24,11,0"
    import.field26 = "chkdig,c,25,1,0"
    import.field27 = "supupc,c,26,7,0"
    import.field28 = "drugupc,c,27,1,0"
    import.field29 = "posdesc,c,28,12,0"
    import.field30 = "deltype,c,29,1,0"
    import.field31 = "orderflg,c,30,1,0"
    import.field32 = "invtype,c,31,1,0"
    import.field33 = "pl,c,32,1,0"
    import.field34 = "mcode,c,33,2,0"
    import.field35 = "actdate,c,34,8,0"
    import.field36 = "podate1,c,35,8,0"
    import.field37 = "podate2,c,36,8,0"
    import.field38 = "podate3,c,37,8,0"
    import.field39 = "blank2,c,38,1,0"
    import.field40 = "disrsn,c,39,1,0"
    import.field41 = "subitem,c,40,7,0"
    import.field42 = "seq,c,41,5,0"
    import.field43 = "ptype,c,42,1,0"
    import.field44 = "plltct,c,43,4,0"
    import.field45 = "pcost,c,44,9,0"
    import.field46 = "blank3,c,45,1,0"
    import.field47 = "substcd,c,46,1,0"
    import.field48 = "allocitm,c,47,1,0"
    import.field49 = "itmstat,c,48,1,0"
    import.field50 = "isnew,c,49,1,0"
    import.field51 = "isrein,c,50,1,0"
    import.field52 = "outseas,c,51,1,0"
    import.field53 = "disc,c,52,1,0"
    import.field54 = "tempout,c,53,1,0"
    import.field55 = "dwhnout,c,54,1,0"
    import.field56 = "major,c,55,3,0"
    import.field57 = "state1,c,56,2,0"
    import.field58 = "tax1,c,57,4,0"
    import.field59 = "state2,c,58,2,0"
    import.field60 = "tax2,c,59,4,0"
    import.field61 = "state3,c,60,2,0"
    import.field62 = "tax3,c,61,4,0"
    import.field63 = "state4,c,62,2,0"
    import.field64 = "tax4,c,63,4,0"
    import.field65 = "state5,c,64,2,0"
    import.field66 = "tax5,c,65,4,0"
    import.field67 = "state6,c,66,2,0"
    import.field68 = "tax6,c,67,4,0"
    import.field69 = "state7,c,68,2,0"
    import.field70 = "tax7,c,69,4,0"
    import.field71 = "state8,c,70,2,0"
    import.field72 = "tax8,c,71,4,0"
    import.field73 = "state9,c,72,2,0"
    import.field74 = "tax9,c,73,4,0"
    import.field75 = "state10,c,74,2,0"
    import.field76 = "tax10,c,75,4,0"
    import.field77 = "pltflag,c,76,1,0"
    import.field78 = "srp,c,77,5,0"
    import()
    There can be only one.

Comment

I have got it to work [rather clumsily] of a sorts. I cannot work out how to get the pre-defined report to work on the temporary table [it being defined for the normal version of the table]. Is there a way of doing this?? I know how to copy a report from one table to another manually, but how do I do it using Xbasic? or is there an easier way?

here is the script:
      Code:
      'Date Created: 30-Sep-2005 01:16:42 PM
      'Last Updated: 14-Oct-2005 03:54:12 PM
      'Created By  : Graham Wickens
      'Updated By  : Graham Wickens
      DIM id_count AS N
      DIM idx AS P
      DIM tbl_one AS P
      DIM tbl_two AS P
      DIM target AS C

[COLOR="Red"]''  define temporary table[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]temp_table = file.temp_path_get()+"totals.dbf"[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'' create fields in temporary Table[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]table.create_begin("serial","c",12)
      table.field_add("indiv_total","n",6)
      tbl = table.create_end(temp_table)
      tbl.close()[/COLOR]

tbl_one = table.open("movements")
      tbl_two = table.open(temp_table)
      query.filter = "isnotblank('serial')"
      query.order  = "SERIAL"
      query.description = "Get Individual"
      query.options = "M"
      idx=tbl_one.query_create()
      id_count = 1
      tbl_one.fetch_first()
      target = tbl_one.serial
      while .not. tbl_one.fetch_eof()
      	statusbar.robot()
      	IF tbl_one.serial = target
      		id_count = id_count + 1
      	END IF
      	IF tbl_one.serial <> target
      		tbl_two.enter_begin()
      		tbl_two.serial = target
      		tbl_two.indiv_total = id_count
      		tbl_two.enter_end(.t.)
      		target = tbl_one.serial
      		id_count = 1
      	END IF
      tbl_one.fetch_next()
      END WHILE
      statusbar.clear()
      tbl_two.close()
      tbl_one.close()
      [COLOR="Red"][B]:Report.Preview("Individual Totals")[/B][/COLOR]
      done:
      [COLOR="blue"]table.erase(temp_table, .t.)[/COLOR]
      end
      Last edited by AaronBBrown; 10-14-2005, 11:41 AM.
      --

www.westrowops.co.uk

Comment

You can also duplicate an existing table if you want the temp should have the same fields as an existing one

Code:
        new_table = "temp_tbl"
        if file.filename_parse(new_table,"dp") = "" then 
        	new_table = a5.Get_Path() + chr(92) + new_table 
        end if 
        new_table = file.filename_parse(new_table,"dpn") + ".dbf"
        if file.exists(new_table) then 
        	a5_table_delete(new_table)
        end if 
        dim table_name as c 
        table_name = a5.Get_Master_Path()+"\old_tbl.dbf"
        dim tbl as p 
        tbl = table.open(table_name)
        tbl.duplicate(new_table,9)
        tbl.close()
        file_add_to_db(new_table)

Or you could create a new table using x-basic

Code:
        path = iif(a5.Get_Master_Path() = "",a5.Get_Path(),a5.Get_Master_Path())
        f = filefind.get(path+chr(92)+"temp_tbl.dbf",FILE_FIND_NORMAL, "PN")
        fields = <<%a%
        Name,C,20,0
        Address,C,20,0
        Age,N,3,0
        Dob,D,8,0
        Active,L,1,0
        %a%
        if f = ""
        	create_table(path+chr(92)+"temp_tbl.dbf",fields)
        	file_add_to_db(a5.Get_Path()+chr(92)+"temp_tbl.dbf")
        end if
        To delete and drop it from the DB use

Code:
        path = iif(a5.Get_Master_Path() = "",a5.Get_Path(),a5.Get_Master_Path())
        f = path+chr(92)+"temp_tbl.dbf"
        if file.exists(f)
        	table.erase(f, .T.)
        	file_drop_from_db(f)
        end if
        Daniel Weiss
        EZ Link Software

Comment

I guess I noticed your last post to late but I would suggest you add the �file_drop_from_db� if not table stays attached to the db and could create errors down the road
          Daniel Weiss
          EZ Link Software

Comment

Thanks Daniel,
            I will add the "file_drop" to my script.
            This just leaves the question of how do I import a pre-defined report to the temp table and run it?
            --

www.westrowops.co.uk

Comment

I've not tried it but if you

remove the table.erase() from your script
              don't use the file_drop_...

use file.remove() to delete the temp.dbf (and just the .dbf)

then any reports created for the temp.dbf should be available from use to use.
              There can be only one.

Comment

If you want to print a predefined report, I suggest you use the Temp table as just that and put the report in a permanent 'Reports' table. In other words, do whatever is needed to get the appropriate data into the Temp table then run an append routine to get the Temp data into the 'Reports' table. Obviously, in this case the 'Reports' table would be 'permanent' to hold the report definition but the data would be zapped before each new group of report data was entered. (Sometimes you may want the ability to print various reports from the same data. In that case, it's faster for the user if you give them the option to use the previous data.)

I've done this a number of times and it works quite well when you run into a situation where a simple filter on existing tables just won't do the job.

Sometimes (in fact, in most cases) the intermediate 'Temp' table isn't needed. I'm stretching my memory here but I believe that as long as you can get the data into the 'Report' table without having to create intermediate sets to get additional data, the one table is enough.

Comment

I tried Stan's suggestion about only deleting the temp.dbf, but the TABLE_CREATE overwrites the files and the Report definition is lost.
                  --

www.westrowops.co.uk

Comment

Graham:

I use this method all the time. To keep it simple requires a certain amount of housekeeping but for about a hundred reasons it's worthwhile.

I do all of our bill and statement printing from these temp tables. These are the most heavily used transaction tables in our application. I don't see how - in a multi-user environment - you could attempt to create the structure of these temp tables on the fly.

Here's the process: make a duplicate of the key tables (Copy/paste from the table editor is easy) then add a field for the current user to each table. Without a field for the current user you have no way of allocating the records in the temp tables among multiple users.

The duplicate tables generally shouldn't need any field rules and usually need only one index. It is essential that the field order be the same as the source table up through the temp table to any additional fields you might add.

For this method, you need to redesign any sets on which reports are based to use these temp tables. It's a little tedious to get all the table references correct, but it's usually a one-time job.

To print the report:

1. Query the transaction table or set to get the records you need
                    2. You must first delete any records that user currently owns in each temp table. Then fetch through the records and populate each of the temp tables. I use record_data_get() -> record_data_set() for this, writing the current user name into that field of each temp table before committing the record.
                    3. You can then generally print the report and the only filter needed is the User name.

The process is necessarily more complex for something like monthly statements which may need to examine and calculate a much larger set of records. However it still works very well.

For our bill and insurance form printing it is extremely fast and runs the same regardless of whether the data base has hundreds or many hundreds of thousands of composite records in a set to be queried. Remember, at the end, the tables involved in printing have a relatively tiny number of records and, as a result, prinitng is just about instantaneous.

Finian
                    Finian

Comment

Graham, note that in both my suggestion and Finian's you do NOT overwrite the table that has the report definition in it. Finian's method apparently does not even require building a true intermediate table. His reports are printed from a table that holds data temporarily. This is similar to my comment that you don't really need a true temp (perhaps should have said intermediate) table in most cases.

I have had a couple situations where I had to do something like the following which did require an intermediate table (I'm sure this isn't exactly the situation since it's been a few years but it should give you the concept): create an 'intermediate' table, fill it with some basic data, link it to another table to get some additional info, filter it based on the new data and copy that to yet another 'intermediate' table, link it to yet another table to update more fields then append the result into my report table.

You can do just about anything you want - it all depends on your imagination and perseverence. In fact, the previous process could have been done with one 'intermediate' table by adding all the necessary fields, updating them based on the first linked table, deleting the records that weren't needed, then linking and updating the final list. In another situation my customer essentially wanted two reports printed as one. In order to get him the results he wanted, I built a 'report' table (temporary data only) then ran a rather complex xbasic script to fill in each line (record) with the necessary text. It's just takes some study to understand exactly what the reports can do then some imagination (i.e., thinking 'outside the box') to mix and match the appropriate routines to get the result you need. In most cases, it isn't as difficult to actually build the routines as it is to figure out what process is required.

Comment

Finian, thanks for this:

It is essential that the field order be the same as the source table up through the temp table to any additional fields you might add.
                        I thought the table structures must be identical to use <tbl>.record_data_get() and <tbl>.record_data_set(). Your tip that these functions will work as long as any additional fields are placed at the end of the target table's structure is a valuable insight.

thanks.

-- tom

Comment

I've been bitten by this a few times, so that's the voice of experience!

It reinforces the notion that always adding fields at the end of a table is a "good" practice if not for the reasons usually given.

The problems occur when adding a new field to one of the transaction tables without updating the field structure of the temp table. There, of course, the new field is NOT placed at the end but rather in the position that will match the structure of the transaction table. If you don't do this, the data will NOT be properly transferred to the temp table.

OK, there's a housekeeping issue, but being able to add additional fields to the temp table for specific purposes opens up a whole range of extremely useful options.

The only real downside is that you have to kludge some sort of method to periodically (on every startup for example) pack the temp tables which can get huge with deleted records.

Finian
                          Finian

Comment

Working...
                          X