Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Help! Global Vars Disappearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Global Vars Disappearing?

I am working on a Small app and when in the code editor i have gone to the view -> global variables and entered in some variables which i then use in the scripts.

But then for reasons i can't understand i all of a sudden start getting errors saying my variables can not be found. I go to the global vars window and THEY ARE NOT THERE!! crazy i think, so i put them back in and it all worked again.

But low and behold a half an hour later or so and they are gone again. some even come and go?

i looked through the docs but to no avail....

i am going crazy or what?

Hello Marc,

I've never seen nor heard of this. If you open a different database your global variables will be wiped out. Global variables do not persist across database's. Also shutting down A5 and reopening will wipe them out.

Is it possible you've opened a different database then gone back to the origional?

Jim

Comment

I've never seen them come back after they've gone BUT perhaps you are seeing this surprising (to me) behavior:

If you go to the Global Variables dialog, you'll see it has two tabs, one for Variable List and one for Initialized at Startup. If you're on the Variable List tab and press add, you can add a variable.

Let's say we add "Xyzzy", a character variable with a value "Poof". You'll see it appear in the list, as you'd expect.

Now, close the window, then close Alpha and restart it. Pull up the Global variables list and--poof--Xyzzy is gone.

If you notice the second tab, you'll see "Initialized at Startup". There, if you add a new global, and press Close you'll get a warning asking you to save. If you save, you can now exit and return, and your variable will still be there.

The thing to take away from this is that variables added on that first tab are temporary, lasting only for the duration of your Alpha session.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Blake and jim,

thanks for your replies.

Blake, i do see the two tabs on the window and have been using the first tab. I just started DIM ing the VARS in my autoexec procedure. However i imagine that if i used the second tab i would get the expected result.

What could a practical application of the first tab then?

Jim, do you use the first or second tab in the global vars window?

thanks

Comment

Marc

First Tab:
          Is for global variables you will use (& possibly change) as long as Alpha is running. e.g. Passing variables between a form & a report.

Second Tab:
          Is for variables which are constant EVERY time alpha is running. e.g. A copywrite notice that you wish to appear on all forms & reports.

John

Comment

John,

then it seems that i would want to use the first tab as i want to create a lobal var and then set it's value repeatedly during the course of the program.

however the problem is that unxepectedly (in code that worked fine moments before) i get a "can not find variable" error message and then when i look in the global vars tab they are not in the list anymore ?!

anyway - like i said previously, i'll just DIM them in the autoexec.

thanks

Comment

Marc

I wonder if the problem is where the variables are set. I have experienced what you described IF I set the variables in either the form or report design. See attached .png.

However, if I set them using control panel - interactive - Global Variables they never disappear. See attached .png

John

Comment

it is the right hand window, tab one i am using..... go figure, i also have used the left hand one a couple of times. for now I'll DIM them explicitly. fortunately the app is really small so not many vars

thanks

Comment

Hello Marc,

>>Jim, do you use the first or second tab in the global vars window?<<
                  Really don't use either. The only time I would use these would be while I am debugging a script, etc.

Good luck,
                  Jim

Comment

Working...
                  X