Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Odd behaviour in Record evernt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd behaviour in Record evernt

I have this code in an OnSaveRecord event. I have a set, 1 to many. The header is for name, date, id number. I'm using this code to number the records in the embedded browse 1 thru 200.
    After entering about 150 records or so, and then create a new record at the parent level, the browse starts flashing and then A5 is locked up and I have to use Task Manager to shut A5 down.

Code:
    Date Created: 18-Oct-2005 01:05:31 PM
    'Last Updated: 18-Oct-2005 01:05:31 PM
    'Created By  : David
    'Updated By  : David
    ''XBasic dim head as p
    dim items as p
    dim line_no as n

line_no=0
    on error goto not_in_set
    head=table.get("header")
    on error goto 0

items=table.get("qty")
    items.fetch_first()
    while .not. items.fetch_eof() 
    line_no=line_no+1
    items.change_begin() 
    items.line_no=padl(ltrim(str(line_no,3,0)),3,"0") 
    items.change_end(.t.)
    items.fetch_next() 
    end while
    parentform.resynch()
    end

not_in_set:
    on error goto 0
    end
    When I go to field rules to Events tab, the code changes from Qty->Line_no field to Qty->Id field. There are no field rules for Qty->Id field. But I will delete out of the events tab of the Qty->Id field and put it back in Qty->Line_no field, but didn't stay.
    Now since I have been working on this, when I try to enter data in the browse I get a error message "extra charactors at end of expression" The attached db was not getting this message when I attached it. I have encountered this problem since, while trying to fix.

It seemed to be working fine until I changed the code, where 3 is now, it had 2 originaly. My numbers would go to 99 only. I changed that thinking it would use 3 digits instead of 2. And it did.
    Code:
    Thanks for your help.
    Attached Files
    David
    A5V12.3
    Win7, 64 bit
    Qbks 2018 Enterprise
    QODBC R/W

As far as the part about

When I go to field rules to Events tab, the code changes from Qty->Line_no field to Qty->Id field. There are no field rules for Qty->Id field. But I will delete out of the events tab of the Qty->Id field and put it back in Qty->Line_no field, but didn't stay.
    The code is not on a field event. It is on a record event. Record events are tied to the record, not an individual field. If you edit the field rules, select the event tab, record events .... you can change to any field you want, the rule is the same.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Thanks, that makes sense. So that is probably not the problem.

Now after creating the record, if I don't use the browse, and click next record, it works fine. If I enter data in the browse and click next record, it seems to be in a loop within the browse, the scroll bar jumps up and down.
      What I called flashing in an earilier post and will not stop until I Ctrl, Alt, Delete and end task. If I close the form and not go to next record it works fine. Is there something in the code that is causing the loop and not going to the next record?
      David
      A5V12.3
      Win7, 64 bit
      Qbks 2018 Enterprise
      QODBC R/W

Comment

I got this code form Dr Peter Wayne's web site and I see that it is in the help file under Numbering Child Records. Is it possible that the
        Code:
        parentform.resynch()
        be different since my child table is a child table of another child table. The code is in the records events in the Qty.tbl
        I don't know, I'm just guessing.
        David
        A5V12.3
        Win7, 64 bit
        Qbks 2018 Enterprise
        QODBC R/W

Comment

David, I'm not familiar with the example code you're working from, but I'd be very wary of using "parentform.resynch()" in an OnSaveRecord script. Parentform is a relative object name that has meaning only in the context of a form. The form is parent to the button object, for example. Alpha may be confused about what "Parentform" means since it's running in a script that is not tied to an object in a form.

Suggest you might try establishing a pointer to the form differently:

if is_object("myform") then
          myform.resynch()
          end if

-- tom

Comment

Thanks Tom I changed what you recomended and I still get the same loop.
            On the 'parentform.resynch() I put a apostrophe in front. Does that disable or should I delete?

Code:
            'Date Created: 18-Oct-2005 01:05:31 PM
            'Last Updated: 18-Oct-2005 01:05:31 PM
            'Created By  : David
            'Updated By  : David
            ''XBasic
            dim head as p
            dim items as p
            dim line_no as n

line_no=0
            on error goto not_in_set
            head=table.get("time_qty")
            on error goto 0

items=table.get("qty")
            items.fetch_first()
            while .not. items.fetch_eof() 
            line_no=line_no+1
            items.change_begin() 
            items.change_end(.t.)
            items.fetch_next() 
            end while
            'parentform.resynch()
            if is_object("labor_form") then 
            labor_form.resynch()
            end if 

end

not_in_set:
            on error goto 0
            end
            David
            A5V12.3
            Win7, 64 bit
            Qbks 2018 Enterprise
            QODBC R/W

Comment

In an earlier post I have a picture of my set structure.
              I have deleted the link of the child table named Qty_Molds.
              That has fixed the loop problem. Now I would like to be able to add this link back to make it work. I don't need the numbering in this table, but would like to keep it linked to the Time_Qty.tbl
              Any Ideas?
              David
              A5V12.3
              Win7, 64 bit
              Qbks 2018 Enterprise
              QODBC R/W

Comment

It works just fine with Ver 7, but when I try to do this in Ver 6, it goes into the loop.
                So why won't it work in ver 6?
                David
                A5V12.3
                Win7, 64 bit
                Qbks 2018 Enterprise
                QODBC R/W

Comment

Working...
                X