Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Should a newbie attempt this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should a newbie attempt this?

Hi,

I've been working on a project in which time information is collected each week to assist in preparing payroll. There is a table of master paycodes describing different tasks the various employees perform, with default pay rates for each one. When the employee record is setup, those paycodes that apply to the employee are selected from the master table, so that when the time is actually entered, those codes applicable are available. There are maybe 30 paycodes, and of them, about 10 or so are more or less "standard" for the majority of the employees.

Can anybody describe a way I can create a button during the employee setup, that would trigger a script of some kind that would copy selected paycodes from the master record over to the employee's record, helping to cut down on employee setup time? I could add a field to the master paycode record that could be tagged as "copy", so those records would be copied.

As the title implies, I don't know if this would be too dificult to tackle at this time. I can always add the feature later... but any help would be tremendous. Thanks!

Hi Shawn,

This would require some programming but could be accomplished. Others may have an easier way, but here is one.

Create a template table with the various default values that you would like to set.

Put a button on the setup form. Open an xdialog displaying the templates available and allow for a selection of one of the templates.

Open the template table, locate the selected template record, and capture the field values from that record.

Now write those values to your form fields.

I have done something similar to this but mine was a bit easier. I was setting default values using one discount value (prompting the user for the discount they wanted) and populating several records in a customer discount table with that one value. This was approximately 150 lines of code.

Good luck
    Cheryl
    Cheryl
    #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
    http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

there might be some easier alternatives

Don't do payroll so excuse my ignorance.

Does the employee record have multiple fields containing paycodes or is there one field holding a "list" of paycodes?

Originally posted by smrogers
      Hi,

I've been working on a project in which time information is collected each week to assist in preparing payroll. There is a table of master paycodes describing different tasks the various employees perform, with default pay rates for each one. When the employee record is setup, those paycodes that apply to the employee are selected from the master table, so that when the time is actually entered, those codes applicable are available. There are maybe 30 paycodes, and of them, about 10 or so are more or less "standard" for the majority of the employees.

Can anybody describe a way I can create a button during the employee setup, that would trigger a script of some kind that would copy selected paycodes from the master record over to the employee's record, helping to cut down on employee setup time? I could add a field to the master paycode record that could be tagged as "copy", so those records would be copied.

As the title implies, I don't know if this would be too dificult to tackle at this time. I can always add the feature later... but any help would be tremendous. Thanks!
      There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Stan,

Each employee table stores standard stuff; Employee ID, name, address, DOB, etc. There is a table LINKED to the employee table that stores the paycodes for each employee, linked by employee ID. This table is accessed from the employee setup form via an embedded browse. There is a separate table called "paycodes" that has the default paycodes and rates. When the user is setting up the employee and enters the embded browse, IT (the browse) does a lookup of available paycodes from the paycode table, linked by paycode ID. The user then picks and chooses which paycodes the employee needs from the list, and either accepts the default payrate or overrides it. Those codes are then entered into the table that stores codes for each employee and their rates.

As I mentioned, for almost every employee, about 10 of these codes are going to be entered for each employee, and then others will be added as necessary. my goal is to just cut down on data entry time by giving the option of populating the employee's own paycode record with those codes that are used by MOST. A Y/N field could be entered into the master paycode table to define which codes are the ones that should be copied over. My dilema... how to copy those selected codes over to the employee table? Would using a script to POST those records over work? I haven't any real experience with posting, so I am not sure.... Thanks for any insight you can provide!!

Comment

thick on payroll

Originally posted by smrogers
          Hi Stan,
          There is a table LINKED to the employee table that stores the paycodes for each employee, linked by employee ID.
          - linked one to many? So there are multiple paycode records per employee?

I'm thinking on the lines of a multi-select listbox xdialog where the list is computed automatically, populated with values from the paycodes table. Selections in this listbox would populate a variable. Xbasic would then parse the variable, line by line, and create the child paycode records. I'd have to see more to think through overriding the default payrate.

Just some musings on how to accomplish what you want.
          There can be only one.

Comment

Shawn,

You can use some variation of this:
            Code:
            'Pull all paycodes flagged 'Y' to create new records 
            'in the employee paycode table

t_source = table.open("paycode")    
            query.description = "Paycodes" 
            query.filter = "Y/N field name = Y"
            query.options = "" 
            qry = t_source.query_create() 
            count = qry.records_get()

t_source.fetch_first()
            while .NOT. t_source.fetch_eof()

t_dest = table.get("emp_paycode")    
                t_dest.enter_begin(.t.)
                    t_dest.fld1 = t_source.fld1
                    t_dest.fld2= t_source.fld2
                    t_dest.fld3 = t_source.fld3
                t_dest.enter_end(.t.)

xbasic_wait_for_idle()

t_source.fetch_next()   'fetch the next paycode
            end while
            Good luck
            Cheryl
            Cheryl
            #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Wow Cheryl! That looks great... I'm going to have to digest it a bit, but it looks like it could work for me! I'll work on it this afternoon and let you know how I do... thanks.

Another question as an aside: I'm working on a report with sub-reports; do you know if there is a limit to the number of sub-reports you can have? It works fine with 5, but if I add a 6th the report goes nuts.

Thanks again!

Comment

Don't forget to close the tables, that code is just a snippet to get you started with the loop.

I personally have not worked with subreports, I have not yet had the need for them. I cannot imagine needing so many subreports .... but I am sure somebody else can answer your subreport question.

Cheryl
                Cheryl
                #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

http://support.alphasoftware.com/alp...ifications.htm

Under layouts it shows unlimited per table/set. I would consider a subreport as a layout so you should not have problems with 6 or even 12 subreports.

Unless I am misreading it.
                  Cheryl
                  #1 Designs By Pagecrazy

Comment

Re: Should a newbie attempt this?

I found that the magic number to be close to 20. I have a vacation schedule that uses a subreport for each day. I have to do 2 reports, 1 for the first half of a month, one for the second half of the month. My subs are small and I suspect larger ones may reduce the numer availeable.

Dave M
                    Dave Mason
                    [email protected]
                    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                    X