Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

tab order not saving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tab order not saving

I have changed the tab order in a form several times (by example) and it doesn't seem to stick when I save it. The next time I go in to look at the tab order they're all messed up. I have saved multiple times before leaving the form design. Any suggestions? Thanks

Re: tab order not saving

Can anyone help me with this??

Comment

Originally posted by Becky McNichols View Post
      Can anyone help me with this??
      Since we're not looking over your shoulder, is there any possibility you'd consider making a copy of the table, emptying records in the copy, zipping the new table and support files, and attaching it here. Much simpler to work on something like that than trying to think of all the possibilities.
      There can be only one.

Comment

I'm having this problem with several forms, but the one I'm working on now is a 4-tabbed form called "costshare1" on salesset.set (attached). When I set the tab order by example, it doesn't stay. I tried to set by table, the tab stops on the first tab stay, but what I change beyond that doesn't. I can make changes by table, apply, & close. When I open that box again, the new changes are there, but when I save the form, they disappear. I've tried to compact the database and try again - same thing. The order I want tab stops in is (tab stop number-object name):
        1-date
        2-T19G
        3-custid1
        4-custid2
        5-custid3
        6-radio1
        7-radio2
        8-radio3
        9-land cat
        10-legal_desc
        11-BUTTON7
        12-Field2
        13-Browse2
        14-Hrs_Ac
        15-windsp
        16-field1
        17-labor1
        18-labor2
        19-equip1
        20-equip2
        21-field4
        22-rental
        23-memo
        24-trtmt_total
        25-BUTTON18
        26-tax
        27-taxrate
        28-date_pd
        29-check_no
        30-dep_rec
        31-penalty
        32-pymt_rec
        33-BUTTON20

beyond that - I don't care what tab order the remaining fields are in.

I might mention that I have recently brought this app into A5v7 from A5v4 and am in the process of making sure they're updated correctly.

Thanks to anyone who want to try this and let me know what I'm doing wrong. -Becky

Comment

Becky,

I have to leave for work but did find that if I set the tabbed object to be the first tab it works.

Mike
          Last edited by MikeC; 01-15-2007, 10:56 AM.
          Mike

Comment

Becky,

I'm not sure you're doing anything wrong but you may be doing something that the tab order was never designed to handle. If I understand what I'm seeing.....

You can set the tab order of objects on any given tab in the order desired.
            Having done that, the objects on that tab which are not included in the specific order setting, but which have their tab stop property set, are given the next positions.

Supposing you choose objects on the first tab to be first in the tab order, if you choose an object on the third tab to follow those, all objects on the third tab will follow as tab stops before any objects from the second tab.

If you choose an object on the third tab to be the very first in the tab order, all objects on the third tab will be "tabbed to" before any other objects chosen for the tab order.

This is merely to say that I don't think you can switch between sheets of the tabbed object by setting the object tab order. You could probably use the ondepart event of an object on tab 2 to direct the user to an object on tab 3, and the ondepart event of that object to direct the user back to the next object you wanted on tab 2.
            There can be only one.

Comment

I did have the tab order set on this same form in A5v4 (before converting to A5v7) in the way in which I'm trying to accomplish now - jumping from tab to tab with some objects on tab2 coming before tab1, etc. Maybe I can't do it in A5v7?

I wondered if the objects on tab 1 that I did not want as tab stops were causing a problem before I moved on to tab2, so I am in the process of redifining those objects under Field Properties -Setup- and unchecking tab stops. I think it may work, but kind of a hassle. It sure was easier in the old version!

Comment

I just finished formatting (unchecking) all of the objects I did not want as tab stops, which took them off of the list of choices when I go to set tab order by table. I arrange them in the order I want, press apply, then close. When I go to Form view from the design screen, the tab order works fine. As soon as I save the form, go back out to the control panel and open it again, the tab order is all messed up. The first stop is now somewhere on Tab 3. What's going on?

Comment

Becky,

By eliminating the tabs on T19G (tab #2) and custid1 Tab #3) I am very close to getting your tabs in the order you want---whenever you change tabs the tab order starts out from these as there is but one tab set for a tabbed page and seems to have to be tab set #1 for it to work. I'm figuring that once you can get most of it working then other script can be added like Stan had mentioned to make it exactly like you want.
                  But found some script on button7's OnArrive event which makes the next tab page show up (page 2):

Code:
                  tabbed1.tab_set(2)
                  sys_send_keys("{TAB}")
                  end
                  Got rid of it--As this button is hidden there is no way to tab to it and am wondering why you want to tab to it??

Is there more script in other places that are interfering with the tab order like this?? It makes it sort of hard to figure out things when not all the information is given! (or forgotten! :-) ) Really was getting confused for a bit until I noticed the script.

EDIT:

For the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tabs you could add a script to the

OnTabChange event to set focus to the next tab sets you want such as:

Code:
                  sheet = topparent:TABBED1.tab_get()
                  t=table.current()
                  if sheet=2 then 
                  	topparent:field2.activate()
                    elseif sheet=3 then
                  	topparent:Hrs_ac.activate()
                    elseif sheet=4 then
                  	topparent:Tax_exmpt.activate()

end if
                  And eliminate the

Code:
                  dim hdr as p
                  sys_send_keys({F9})
                  as it interferes with the field getting focus. I don't know exactly why you have this here but if needed could find a spot for it.

I also had to get rid of the Browse2 tab stop as once you tab to the browse you end

up having to tab through all the browse fields--if this is what you want then there may be a way to have a script go to the next wanted tab once all the fields have been tabbed through.

Tabbing from Field6 (Memo field of 3rd tab-County Treatment) to the Trtmt_total field doesn't work so ...am out of ideas for that! Had to get rid of that tab stop too. :(

I would have sent back the updated sample you gave but as am using version 5 I don't know if it would cause problems or not.

But all the tab stops work by eliminating the tab stops that interfere now.

Mike
                  Last edited by MikeC; 01-16-2007, 01:10 AM. Reason: more info
                  Mike

Comment

There are reasons for the "invisible" buttons as tab stops. They were set up so when the user tabbed through the form (in the old version, when everything was working fine), continuing to tab through data entry took them to the page they needed to be on next. I don't have the luxury of getting rid of objects when they present a problem in the tab order. Some of the ones you're deleting, I need to have.

Anyway, I did get the tab order set up the way I want in the design mode. The problem is when I save it and get out. It's all messed up when I go back in.

Thanks for your time!

Comment

Becky,
                      The embedded browse2 can be tabbed to, but once there you are sort of trapped and I don't know of an event to use to go to the next tab in sequence.

See if this accomplishes something similar to what you need. The only "changes" I made were:

Eliminated the tab stops on:
                      1. browse2--created an alternative
                      2. trtmt_total--field rules make this a calculated field and so no data
                      can be changed.....why do you need a tab stop here???
                      3. button18--no longer needed for tabbing
                      4. button7--no longer needed for tabbing

Browse2 tab stop alternative:
                      1. Added a button which has a tab stop and is highlighted with a different color with OnArrival event--goes back to win3D with OnDepart event.
                      2. The OnPush event activates the first field of the browse. The user can then get out of the browse2 by pushing shift-tab to go the prior field and then continue on, bypassing the browse simply by not pressing the button.

I also add back in the script you had on the OnTabChange event:

Code:
                       dim hdr as p
                          sys_send_keys({F9})
                      Could you explain why you are dimming something but then not obviously doing anything with it???

Of course, open this up as a different database --not to be placed in your current one!

Mike

Last edited by MikeC; 01-16-2007, 11:19 PM.
                      Mike

Comment

One more thing---I believe the main problem overall is the attempt to tab to the trtmt_total field...as a calculated field determined via field rules it is automatically disabled and when you try to activate it by tabbing it causes a problem in Alpha. No error dialog is produced but it is an error nonetheless and could very well be the main issue--I haven't tried to just eliminate this to see if tabbing works without it as got it working and am all "tabbed" out now! :-)

If for some reason you need to have a tab stop on this field you are going to have to get rid of the field rule I believe. You can always just have the trtmt_total field be equal to the calculation so that a tab stop could be used and then just have it read only.

Mike
                        Last edited by MikeC; 01-16-2007, 11:44 PM. Reason: typo
                        Mike

Comment

Becky,

Just by chance I found a way to "have it your way" ! :-))

Add this script to the OnKey event of the form and then you can tab through the browse. Of course this prevents tabbing within the browse but the arrow keys could be used for that.

Code:
                          if parentform.active()="browse2"
                             select
                                 case a_user.key.value="TAB" .and. a_user.key.event="down"
                                   a_user.key.handled=.T.
                                   Hrs_Ac.activate()
                             end select
                          end if
                          I also found out why the tab would not work for your trtmt_total field...you have the field rule "skip" set to .T. . Delete this value if you truely do want to tab to that field.

If you look at the Database I sent back to you and make the modifications I did everything works and the tabs are stable.

Mike
                          Last edited by MikeC; 01-17-2007, 03:20 AM. Reason: missing info
                          Mike

Comment

In order to simply leave a browse and advance to the next object in the tab order you could use the built in Alpha shortcut key of F6.
                            Tim Kiebert
                            Eagle Creek Citrus
                            A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Hi Tim!

I did try using that but got a few inconsistant results when in the browse fields so didn't mention it...thinking on it I should have! The odd results I had at times could very well have been a result of being in Enter mode due to her dropdowns...the lookup and combo fields....???? Although I now have the tab order working in this problem I am hoping that Becky can reproduce my efforts.

Mike

edit--going back and trying F6 I cannot reproduce the issue! Go figure!
                              Last edited by MikeC; 01-17-2007, 08:53 AM.
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X