Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

I need help here please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help here please.

I feel a little embarrased but one has to swallow his pride and ask questions and thru the answers one learns. I have always learn like that.

This is my problem, I am kind of stuck whether I need relationships in the attached database tables and how to wet it up.

Explanation of tables:

Master table contains all the data that is required of this database.

Catetable:
    contains all the categories assigned to all the cost centers

lkupcategory
    : contains all the categories

lkupctr: contains all the cost centers

lkupdpt
    : contains all the cost centers and the department names.

lksubcd
    : contains all the subcodes

lkvnm: contains all the vendornames

tblecategory3
    : contains all the categories and their sub categories

These are the only tables that I need to build this database.

Could someone help me with setting up the relationships.

Thanks in advance.

Re: I need help here please.

K

No need to feel embarrassed at all. This forum is so active because it helps a lot of folks.

I think you will be able to get a more complete answer if you provide some more detail of what you are trying to accomplish. You list the tables but you do not say what those tables are for and what your end goal really is. In essence you are asking for help but are only providing half the information.

In reading your post the description by Master says:

table contains all the data that is required of this database.
    If this is the case, then you do not need any relationships set up since this one table contains all of the information required. It appears the other tables are all lookup tables?

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by jkletrovets View Post
      K

No need to feel embarrassed at all. This forum is so active because it helps a lot of folks.

I think you will be able to get a more complete answer if you provide some more detail of what you are trying to accomplish. You list the tables but you do not say what those tables are for and what your end goal really is. In essence you are asking for help but are only providing half the information.

If this is the case, then you do not need any relationships set up since this one table contains all of the information required. It appears the other tables are all lookup tables?

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by jkletrovets View Post
        K

Regards,

Jeff

Yes they are all lookup tables. Shouldnt it be connected to the Master? I need the lookup tables to when I am doing data entry. Bear with me please.

Thanks
        Last edited by kdankwah; 03-20-2007, 09:34 AM.

Comment

K

They will only need to be related if you are not storing the actual text value from the lookup in the main table.

For example, if in your master table you are storing a code that references the actual text description for that item in the lookup table then you would need to relate the two tables based on that id field that is common in both tables. So, your lookup window will display the text names to the user but when they select the item you will store the id for that item not the text descriptions that were just shown to the user.

That being said, it does not appear (from looking at your tables) that this is what you are doing. It seems you are looking up the value and then returning the appropriate text string and saving it in the Master table. If that is the case then there are 2 ways to accomplish what you are after.

1. You can go into field rules and enter lookup information for the appropriate fields in the Master table. There is a lookup tab available here. Right click on the table in the Control Panel and then choose Edit Field Rules.

2. On your data entry form you can right click on the appropriate field and choose Record List Combo Box. A tab will then be available for Choices where you can define the table to use for the lookup for that field along with the return value which will be the text description field from the lookup table.

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

K

I modified your database to illustrate the two lookup methods I mentioned. If you are not going to link via an ID that is.

If you go to tab 3 of the form I made you can see the form lookup method. If you look at field "Category 2" in your master table you can see a field rule level lookup I made.

I have no idea of which tables relate to which field so those will probably be wrong in my example but you'll get the idea.

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

I thank you so much, the idea of you going off your way to help me tells me of how good people are on this forum. I will take a look at the files you sent me and get back to you.

Once again, thanks so much indeed. I will forever tell people of Alpha and the nice and good forum you have here. Not to forgot to mention "Gabriel" too he is so great. Keep up the good work folks.

Thanks

PS

Comment

I took a look at the file. Its so sweet and nice what you did, I have learnt a lot from it, but now what I also want is to be able to pull down a cost center and be able to see all of its related categories associated with that particular cost center like a filter. Can you show me how to do that please?

Thanks

Comment

I will help you if you explain in detail what you are needing. I do not know what lookup table(s) you are referring to and what field that relates to in your master table.

lkupctr: contains all the cost centers
                  I can tell from your first post that this table is probably going to be used. Is this correct? Are there any other tables? What field does this relate to in your Master table?

Just let me know...

Jeff

Comment

I want to use the catetable. This table contains the costctr and the categories associated with the cost center. Since this form will be used mainly for dataentry, when the user clicks the costcenter on the dropdown on the form the categories associated will dropdown also when the user goes into the category field.

For example

Catetable

Costctr = 200500 (this will be a dropdown for user to pick say 200500).

Category = Office (from the same table (catetable).
                    Will drop down for user bto pick say Office etc. associated with category.

All I want is filtering as is done in MS Excel.

Thanks

Comment

K

Attached is another example that does what I believe you want. Go to tab 3 on the form. If you choose from the cost center drop down, the category drop down will then be filtered based on the value you chose in the cost center drop down. I noticed there are multiples of some of the categories but in the actual data table there are duplicates for some of the cost centers.

Hope this helps you get going...

Jeff

Comment

Everything is worling OK. but how can I autofill the Type field from the Lkuptype table when I select a field data from the dropdown field ( which I created) of the Transact field.

Thanks a lot.

Comment

K

The help file has a pretty good explanation. Here is the link:

http://support.alphasoftware.com/alp...le_Lookups.htm

You can map to more than one field in the target table based upon what you chose from the lookup table.

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Thanks.

K

Comment

Working...
                            X