Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Network Optimize changing permissions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network Optimize changing permissions?

In a network environment, my database works fine for users who are running the Runtime and sharing the master copy. They can login, perform their tasks, etc.

The users have their own group, separated by department. All groups have Run access to the startup form, which, again, works fine under the shared master setup.

When I shadow a copy on their local desktops, they cannot login. A57 tells them they do not have Run permissions on the Startup form. Do you guys have any ideas as to why the permissions would have been changed on a network optimize, or anything else that could be causing them to be unable to login?

Re: Network Optimize changing permissions?

Ok, You lost me.

Are you saying that your users are not running shadowed now?? You cannot get them shadowed?? They are running runtime, but accessing the master db across a lan directly??

Have you tried shadowing them from the master by accessing the master from their runtime?

dave
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Sorry, I'm a bit new to Alpha Five, coming over from an Access / SQL environment.

The way it's setup is there's a folder on the server containing all of the database files. This folder is shared, and all users have access to it. All users have A57 Runtime installed on their individual machines, and when they open the database, they navigate to the .adb file in the shared folder on the server's hard drive and open it. They are then prompted for their user/pass, and are logged in. This setup works fine, they're able to do their work (albeit a bit slowly, waiting on Alpha Five, but that's what I'm hoping network optimizing will solve.)

What I've attempted to do is go to their individual machines, open their Runtime, open the .adb in the shared folder on the server's hard drive, log in as myself (since they don't get the control panel when they log in), and run the network optimize wizard on their machines. This creates the new .adb with all the associated files, which I place in a directory on their machines. When they access this new file and are prompted with their user/pass, they are given the unable to access Startup form due to not having the Run permission.

Comment

I think the problem may be in the way you attempted to prepare your runtime work stations to work with a shadow db. Review the following help file. This is the procedure I have always used and have never had difficulties.

http://support.alphasoftware.com/alp...w_Database.htm
        Cheryl
        #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
        http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

I will give that a shot and report back. One thing I forgot to mention is that it will let me login. The only difference being I'm in the Admin group and have access to all areas... but that does make it a bit odd.

I'll let you know if that solves it, thanks Cheryl!

Comment

Cheryl,

Your suggestion did not fix it :( I am still getting permission denied to run form Startup after it optimizes the database for a network connection.

Comment

Thiazi,

Sorry that was not able to resolve your issue. I am fresh out of ideas. Are you using Vista? Perhaps that is the cause. I would review some of the other various threads on the runtime installations to get some other ideas. Sorry I could not be of further assistance.
              Cheryl
              #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
              http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

Thiazi,
                How many users do you have and how many does your runtime allow?
                do your users have a proper permission on their work station machines?
                as Cheryl asked, What version of windows are you/they running?

also, The runtime should work just like start in the application on the server or the way you are doing it now.
                Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

All machines are Windows XP Pro -- no Vista's in the mix.

We have about 15 users, and our Runtime license allows for 20 (we've never maxed it out).

All of our users have Local Administrator rights on their PCs.

Server runs Win2003 Server, all client machines are XP Pro.

The Runtime is installed on their machine now (locally). The way they're accessing the database is by opening the .adb that resides in the shared folder on the server. When I do the exact same, then go over to Control Panel, run Network Optimize, then exit/re-enter the database using the new .adb saved locally on their machine, I'm presented with the permissions error.

Any other ideas? :(

Comment

I am not as familiar with 2003 server as I should be, but there are a lot of threads on here concerning problems there. I would suggest you search the threads as the problem may have to do with that.

You may call alpha on this one, but i don't know what to tell you from here.

Dave
                    Dave Mason
                    [email protected]
                    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Thiazi,

No. 1 Make sure you have the correct licensing for the Windows 2003 Server software.

No. 2 If you are OK on the above, make sure your permissions given to all of the XP workstations are correct. Make sure all the machines can access the shared folder on the server.

Unlike XP, 2003 server is a real pistol on permissions given to workstations.

Regards

Ed

Comment

Make sure permissions for the "share" is set correctly. Share permissions are different from folder permissions.

HTH,
                        TD

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for the new information, I will check those in the morning when I get into the office. Out of curiousity, would the permissions come into play when they can access the database by opening it on their local machine, but opening the copy in the shared folder? That's what they're doing now and it's working just fine. When it stops is after the network optimize takes the database's .adb file and makes a copy on their local machine - then, they try to access that and get denied.

Also, what should I check in terms of Windows server licensing? I do know the server is fully licensed with 20 CALs.

Comment

Hi Thiazi,

Are you making the shortcut on the desktops before you make the shadow copy on each workstation?

If so, after you optimize and the runtime is looking at the shadow data base, you need to make the shortcut look at the shadow data base on each workstation not the server.

If your Windows 2003 is licensed for 20 CAL's, you are fine.

Regards

Ed

Comment

Ed,

I'm just creating a new folder on the desktop, then running network optimize and letting it drop all its resulting files in the new folder on the desktop. Then, I'm accessing the .adb from the new folder on the desktop. Is that the correct procedure?

Comment

Working...
                              X