Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Network Optimize changing permissions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Network Optimize changing permissions?

Thank you Cheryl. You've been a big help, I've definitely learned a few things along the way - even if it still isn't solved! LOL

Comment

One thing that comes to mind is that everything works fine on the server and you only get the permission problems locally. So to me it seems it could possibly be NTFS permissions.

You also mention in some posts that you are "copying the files" to the workstation. This step should be accomplished by the shadowing step and should not be done manually. Otherwise, some files might get missed.

After this, I too am at the end of ideas for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Page View Post
        One thing that comes to mind is that everything works fine on the server and you only get the permission problems locally. So to me it seems it could possibly be NTFS permissions.

You also mention in some posts that you are "copying the files" to the workstation. This step should be accomplished by the shadowing step and should not be done manually. Otherwise, some files might get missed.

After this, I too am at the end of ideas for you.
        Doug,

Your post begs the question that I'm possibly doing the shadowing process incorrectly. I've tried it two ways:

1) as mentioned in prior posts, where I go into the database from the runtime (I've also tried from the developer edition), go to the control panel, go to tools > network optimize > create shadow database. This asks for a directory in which to place the files, upon which I've created a directory on the local root C: drive, and let it drop the files in. (I've also seen reference about not running network optimize anymore... but I don't think I am running a network optimize process, I am just clicking Create Shadow Database down at the bottom. So maybe I'm creating the shadow from the wrong place?) I then go to the directory on the local HD, open the .adb, and that's when the permission problem occurs. If I missed a step or went about the process from the wrong section, please let me know.

2) as Cheryl mentioned, I created a blank DB with no forms, etc. and created the single autoexec script from the A5 documentation. I saved this file with the same file name as the .adb on the server. Then, I ran this on the local machine from within the runtime. When the box popped up, I pointed it to the .adb on the server, and it ran its automated processes.

Have I completed the shadowing process correctly?

Comment

From my knowledge it appears so. My experience does not include using Alpha's security so I am not aware of how to debug the problem.

Comment

Thiazi,

Doug is correct about the security. But it still sounds like you are not making the shadow correctly.

You may have already done this correctly, but give it a try. If it fails, what step is it?

1. The development copy of the Database is in a folder on your 2003 server.
            2. Go to one of the XP workstations, and open up a runtime from the Alpha Icon in the runtime folder. Not a shortcut.
            3. After the runtime opens up, open up the Database from what ever you called the .ADB file in the database folder on the 2003 server.
            4. After the database on the 2003 server is open in the XP workstation�s Alpha runtime(if you get this far) go to the control panel in the runtime.
            5. Go to tools/network optimize/create shadow database. Just to test, let Alpha select where to place the shadow database.
            6. After Alpha creates the shadow, it will close down and reopen looking at the new created shadow database. Open up the shadow at this point in time.
            7. Make sure you are at the control panel, and use the shortcut genie on the tools menu.
            Create the desktop Icon/Shortcut with the genie.

If you got this far, is it working correctly on this workstation?

Regards

Ed

Comment

Ed, here's my steps documented:

- Full copy of database is on server at \\server\A5 DB

- Go to XP Workstation, open alpha5.exe from C:\Program Files\A5V7 Runtime

- Went to File > Open Database. Then, selected A5 DB.adb from the \\server\A5 DB folder.

- Authentication box appears (Alpha5 authentication). Input my credentials. Database loads.

- Go to Control Panel, select Tools > Network Optimize > Create Shadow Database.

- Get a box saying "Shadow Database Will Be Created". Let Alpha5 choose the path, which is C:\Program Files\A5V7 Runtime\shadow\A5 DB\A5 DB.adb. Click OK.

- Process runs, database closes, and then reopens. Authentication box appears (alpha5 authentication). I authenticate, I'm allowed into the database with no problem (keep in mind, I'm in the Administrators group in Alpha5.)

- Now that shadow is open, go back to Control Panel, go to Tools > Create Shortcut > On Desktop > Click OK.

- Close Alpha5 Runtime. Go to shortcut on desktop, double-click on it. Authentication box appears, I authenticate as _another user_, someone who is not in the administrators group, and am presented screenshot I posted a few posts up saying that permission had been denied.

NTFS permissions were checked on the server, and the particular user has full rights to the A5 folders. Also, my NT login is in the administrators group on the server as well, so I have full NTFS permissions regardless (which should give me the ability to login to the database as any user I would think.)

I'm sure there's something small I'm missing somewhere that's preventing this. :-\

Comment

What happens if you log on as "administrator" on this selected workstation?

If you can get into the database as the administrator, it is like Doug prompted you, it is the way you set up Alpha security.

If this is true(where you can log in as the Administrator", then you need to go back(with your development copy of Alpha) and check the way you setup security in your database.

How did you setup the security for users to log in, when they are not the Administrator?

Regards

Ed

Comment

It works in the same manner when I log in as administrator on the local PC. As far as how security is setup, users are defined in the Control Panel > Tools > Security > Define Users/Groups. There are several groups, and users separated into groups.

All users that are not in the Administrators group within Alpha5 cannot login (get the denied message.) Each form, etc. has security options which allow the particular groups to run/view/edit that form/query/etc. All permissions are set to Run, and none of that has been modified for the shadow. It seems like it's losing the "Run" permission when the shadow is made.

Comment

Thiazi,

I think you're going to have to let someone else look at the database. Any chance you can post a working copy here (sanitized to remove personal data) so that we can load it on our system, network optimize it to a workstation and attempt to troubleshoot it for you?

An alternative would be for us to send you a database that can be network optimized without losing security controls and see if you can install it there?

Comment

I have not used the Alpha Security but three things come to mind.

1. Did you check to use Windows Login info? If so, then I would guess that it is your NTFS permissions that are be wrong.

2. You said that you had the permissions set to Run. Could not decifer enough out of the user manual, but it sounds like this is just enough permission to allow one to "run" a form but not make any changes, additions, deletions, etc.

3. Because the Security system worked on the server, it makes me think that it is set up correctly. This again makes me think that it could be the machines permissions that are stopping you. So perhaps it might be worthwhile effort to check the permissions on the directories on the server and compare to the permissions on the local box.

Comment

The error your are encountering has nothing to do with NTFS permissions. Your error indicates that the user who is logging into the database does not have permissions to run a form. But from my understanding of your posts, even the admin account is having problems when loading the database via a shadow copy.

Troubleshooting step #1
                        If this was me, I would remove the alpha5 security from the database. Then test the shadow copy. If everything works you have narrowed down the problem to the the security implementation.

Trouble shooting step #2
                        Originally posted by Thiazi View Post
                        \\server\A5 DB
                        C:\Program Files\A5V7 Runtime\shadow\A5 DB\A5 DB.adb.
                        Both your mapped folder and your shadow database storage folder have spaces in them. Remove all spaces from the folders. While it is true a space in a folder path is accepted by windows, it does not mean all applications and other OS's can recognize that space. Having a space in a folder path is un-needed and can cause additional problems behind the scenes.

*edit -
                        Your database name also has a space in it, remove that space as well.
                        When I feel the urge to use a space I just use an underscore instead. i.e. a5_db.adb
                        Last edited by aschone; 12-13-2007, 06:15 PM.
                        Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by aschone View Post
                          The error your are encountering has nothing to do with NTFS permissions. Your error indicates that the user who is logging into the database does not have permissions to run a form. But from my understanding of your posts, even the admin account is having problems when loading the database via a shadow copy.

Troubleshooting step #1
                          If this was me, I would remove the alpha5 security from the database. Then test the shadow copy. If everything works you have narrowed down the problem to the the security implementation.

Trouble shooting step #2

Both your mapped folder and your shadow database storage folder have spaces in them. Remove all spaces from the folders. While it is true a space in a folder path is accepted by windows, it does not mean all applications and other OS's can recognize that space. Having a space in a folder path is un-needed and can cause additional problems behind the scenes.

*edit -
                          When I feel the urge to use a space I just use an underscore instead. i.e. a5_db.adb
                          Just to mention, any admin account can login to the shadow copies without a problem. It's only user accounts that have this problem.

I will try yours and others suggestions tomorrow and post back. Thank you!!

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Page View Post
                            I have not used the Alpha Security but three things come to mind.

1. Did you check to use Windows Login info? If so, then I would guess that it is your NTFS permissions that are be wrong.

2. You said that you had the permissions set to Run. Could not decifer enough out of the user manual, but it sounds like this is just enough permission to allow one to "run" a form but not make any changes, additions, deletions, etc.

3. Because the Security system worked on the server, it makes me think that it is set up correctly. This again makes me think that it could be the machines permissions that are stopping you. So perhaps it might be worthwhile effort to check the permissions on the directories on the server and compare to the permissions on the local box.
                            1. Yes, I did check my Windows login information. I went back this morning and re-ran the entire process as the Administrator on the local machine, and using the Administrator account on the server when accessing the directory containing the DB.

2. Permissions are set to run on that form, so they should be able to bring it up, but not make any changes to the form at all. These permissions are set in the development copy, and do allow the users to run the form as designed when they access the .adb file from the server.

3. I re-created the shadow copy this morning logged in as Administrator on the local machine and ran into the same problem. :(

Originally posted by aschone View Post

Troubleshooting step #1

Trouble shooting step #2

*edit -
                            I removed the spaces from all folders. I re-created the shadow copy, logged in as the Administrator account on the local machine, and placed it in the root directory of the HD in a new folder simply called DB. Before doing so, I renamed the DB to just DB.adb. I then opened DB.adb from C:\DB and the problem is still occurring. :(

Also, as I mentioned in the previous post, any account in the "Administrators" group in Alpha5's security groups screen can login to the shadow copies just fine (they've never had a problem logging in.) This problem only affects those users who are not Administrators as defined by Alpha5's built-in security.

Comment

Hi Thiazi,

May I suggest you follow Tom Cone's suggestion and attach the db zip here so we can attempt to create a shadow on our end and try to duplicate/resolve your issue for you :)
                              Cheryl
                              #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
                              http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Cheryl Lemire View Post
                                Hi Thiazi,

May I suggest you follow Tom Cone's suggestion and attach the db zip here so we can attempt to create a shadow on our end and try to duplicate/resolve your issue for you :)
                                Agreed

It appears that you have narrowed it down to an issue with how the administrator security is setup compared to how the user's security is setup. At this point I would document every setting that the administrator has. Document every setting that the user has. Then duplicate all of the administrator settings on to the user. If you are able to view the DB as the user, then your issue was with how the security was setup originally. If the user is still not able to view the database then something else is happening to cause this.
                                Andrew

Comment

Working...
                                X