Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How do I create a report which groups and summarizes selected fields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I create a report which groups and summarizes selected fields

I am a coin collector. I have my coins stored in books. I also have a v8 table which lists all the coins I have and other information about them. The important fields here are the book number and coin value. What I would like to do is create a simple report which lists the total value of all coins in a given book. It would look something like this-

Book Total Value
    1 50
    2 100
    etc.

So, I need to know how to get A5 to find all coins in a single book and there values and to calcualte the total value for only that book. Then, how to create a report in which the book number is only listed once along with the total value.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: How do I create a report which groups and summarizes selected fields

Begin by selecting the Reports tab of the controlpanel.
    Use the New toolbar button above the tab.
    Select the table in which your records are stored.

Right click on the Top of the Detail band and choose Insert Group.
    Set the Break on Change In to book.
    Drag-Drop the book field into the newly created Detail Header, specify first (or value in the field if book is numeric).
    Drag-Drop the coinvalue field into the Detail header, specify total.
    In the top menu bar, select Report, Properties, Report Properties, uncheck Has Detail section.
    Last edited by Stan Mathews; 09-18-2018, 11:12 AM.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Stan- you're the man. I can't believe you're still here after 18 years. I doubt if you remember me but, I used to routinely help out in this forum. Then, I more or less went full time in another forum and tapered off regular participation here. I celebrated 10 years in that forum a couple of weeks ago but then retired from it because I was being abused by another user and the moderator has, so far, refrained from doing anything about it. In the interim, I didn't do much with A5 so, now I'm back looking for help.

I tried what you said and, after some modification of text and repositioning text, I got almost what I wanted.

The name of the fields are repeated going from book to book. For instance, I see this-

Book Total Value

1 X

Book Total Value

2 X

I've tried to upload a screenshot but have but unsuccessful.

Comment

This is a report based on a single table? I don't see how anything could get repeated.

records.pngdesign.pngpreview.png

To upload a screenshot or other attachment use the Go Advanced button, scroll down to Manage attachments.
        There can be only one.

Comment

Yes, it's a single table.

The problem I'm having with Manage attachments is that, when I drag and drop a file, it displays the file content and there's no way to access the options for posting or inserting it into the thread.

Comment

Email it to me.

[email protected]
            There can be only one.

Comment

I figured out how to upload a file. Missed the button for Add Files.

Here's how it looks-
              Attached Files

Comment

Put/move the field labels in the report header, just the fields go in the group header.
                There can be only one.

Comment

Just for some clarification, this is what the report set up looks like before I edit and move the text for alignment purposes. I also identified it to not use a Detail section. Note that the actual field name for the book is "Where" instead of "Book", just so you don't get confused by the screenshot-
                  Attached Files

Comment

So the two labels, above the fields they name and in bold, move those to the report header. Anything in the group header is repeated every time the group changes. You only want the field contents.

When a field and label are dropped into a report they are usually automatically grouped together. In that case, right click on each pair in turn and choose Ungroup. Then the labels can be moved to the report header.
                    Last edited by Stan Mathews; 09-19-2018, 04:30 PM.
                    There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Stan-

Thanks very much for your help. I've been using Alpha since v1 for DOS (way back in 1990, I think) and had created many tables and reports. Can't believe how much I've forgotten but, I haven't created anything new in 10 years.

Finally got it completed after following your instructions. Gussied it up a little and it's good to go.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                      X