Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Web browser in a form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web browser in a form

Richard's post gives a rundown on how to add a live web browser of Google maps and UPS tracking within a form on the desktop.

Filemaker 8.5 has a little more user friendly interface to this here along with a video.

Any plans on adding any of this ease of use to Alpha for this type feature? Just thought that some newer users may not want to get into the function creating.

Re: Web browser in a form

Originally posted by George Corder View Post
    Richard's post gives a rundown on how to add a live web browser of Google maps and UPS tracking within a form on the desktop.

Filemaker 8.5 has a little more user friendly interface to this here along with a video.

Any plans on adding any of this ease of use to Alpha for this type feature? Just thought that some newer users may not want to get into the function creating.

Yes - we have some very big plans in this area - we are going to be adding the concept of 'super controls'. They will appear in the drag drop list. an example of a super control would be a 'ups traking page'. when you put a super control on a form a genie will pop up asking for configuration information. there will be no programming required of the user.

Comment

Selwyn,

You are a god!

Thank you. Doug

Comment

Thanks Selwyn.

Comment

super control would be a 'ups traking page'.

I could use that about right now..

Comment

When I first read this question and before any responses from anyone, I thought to myself: why can't alpha just devlop a layer between the user and the Activex and add more controls that you can drag and drop in design mode?

Well, what do you? according to Selwyn, that's what alpha intends to do. Great.

Of note, when I went to develop the web viewer following Richard's instructions, I found it very easy to do, now I moved all my bookmarks from Netscape & IE to alpha. Works great.

This is a very nice feature, one of my favorites so far.

I don't know how far out in the future Selwyn plans these super-controls, but for now, you could do your own for the most popular web pages and it really is very easy.

As an added bonus, when I moved all my bookmarks to a table in alpha, that table also has fields for login ID's & passwords so when you visit a page, you don't have to remember nor look for your ID/password. Talk about COOL! the script will load the ID/password (that's my hope at least). Will add few more fields for those stupid questions: your favorite pet name..etc.

Now, I am trying to work on a script that adds web pages to my table i.e. bookmark a page.

Comment

Gabriel
              If you get the (script will load the ID/password (that's my hope at least).
              Working please share.

I have a password and ID and website tracker all ready made as i have so many passwords to so many web sites.

That would be a fantastic feature if you could just click on the web site link and it opens in a active X window and auto fills in the User name and Password.

Or if it just opens the web site in a active X window and then some how has a stay on top pop up giving you your User name and password so you can copy and paste it in.

Originally posted by G Gabriel View Post
              When I first read this question and before any responses from anyone, I thought to myself: why can't alpha just devlop a layer between the user and the Activex and add more controls that you can drag and drop in design mode?

Well, what do you? according to Selwyn, that's what alpha intends to do. Great.

Of note, when I went to develop the web viewer following Richard's instructions, I found it very easy to do, now I moved all my bookmarks from Netscape & IE to alpha. Works great.

This is a very nice feature, one of my favorites so far.

I don't know how far out in the future Selwyn plans these super-controls, but for now, you could do your own for the most popular web pages and it really is very easy.

As an added bonus, when I moved all my bookmarks to a table in alpha, that table also has fields for login ID's & passwords so when you visit a page, you don't have to remember nor look for your ID/password. Talk about COOL! the script will load the ID/password (that's my hope at least). Will add few more fields for those stupid questions: your favorite pet name..etc.

Now, I am trying to work on a script that adds web pages to my table i.e. bookmark a page.

Comment

Ed:
                I was working on this and as I went to try it on one of the bank accounts, and as would Murphy would have it, that website was not accessible.

I am going to do some more work on it soon and report. Also, although I don't use UPS that often, just for the heck of it, I will develop a little nugget for those who would like to use it. All it is, is just one more function.

Comment

If your so inclined you might look at the following links, between them and Richards example you can accomplish a lot.
                  http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=63926
                  http://learn alpha.com/WebBrowser.pdf

I wonder if Richard would be nice enough to put an example of how to use the documentcomplete function on a form that can be utilized by xbasic to determine the page is finished loading.

I have never been able to get the activex busy property to be recognized by xbasic. That would also tell me when the document has finished loading

Comment

I will ask Dave McCormick at Alpha (who created the sample application with the web browser embedded on an Alpha Five v8 form) to look into doing this.
                    Richard Rabins
                    Co Chairman
                    Alpha Software

Comment

fyi -- If you look at the attachment you will see this sample application ships with Alpha Five version 8. It is called "sunrise properties."

Thanks
                      Richard Rabins
                      Co Chairman
                      Alpha Software

Comment

In interactive mode this works
                        ?ClerkBrowserEngine:ACTIVEX1.activex.Busy
                        ?ClerkBrowserEngine:ACTIVEX1.activex.ReadyState

but in xbasic this dosen't work
                        dim x as l
                        while x = .t.
                        x=ClerkBrowserEngine:ACTIVEX1.activex.Busy
                        end while

dim ready as n
                        while ready <> 4
                        ready=ClerkBrowserEngine:ACTIVEX1.activex.ReadyState
                        end while

Please find me an answer.

Comment

John,
                          By 'Doesn't work' do you mean:

1) produces an error message.

or

2) Never exists the loop.

If the answer is 1 - what is the error reported?
                          If the answer is 2 - if you add a ui_yield() call inside the loops (which allows windows to process messages that are in its queue, which might be required for some activex controls) - does the problem go away?

Thanks,
                          Cian Chambliss.

Comment

by dosen't work I mean that it races thru the script without waiting for the screen to load. What I want is for xbasic to wait until the web page is loaded before continuing.
                            I tried UI_YIELD() and nothing changes.

Where are the docs on this stuff? How do you use it?
                            _A5ShowPropertyDialog()
                            _A5EventHandler

Comment

Originally posted by jkukuda View Post
                              by dosen't work I mean that it races thru the script without waiting for the screen to load. What I want is for xbasic to wait until the web page is loaded before continuing.
                              I tried UI_YIELD() and nothing changes.

Where are the docs on this stuff? How do you use it?
                              _A5ShowPropertyDialog()
                              _A5EventHandler
                              Why don't you post a copy of your application so that we can see your code and duplicate the problem.

You probably need to have the ActiveX control invoke the rest of your Xbasic script once the activeX is ready.

Comment

Working...
                              X