Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Protecting the finished app....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protecting the finished app....

Hi guys,
    I would appriciate a little help here:
    1. When I create an install package (using Alpha built-in function) and install the app on the other PC with lisenced A5 V8, I have full access to the app!?
    Q: Is it possible to protect somehow the finished app so the other registred users cannot modify my database?
    2. In designing the field rules for my database, lookups tab, auto popup can be 'do not popup','popup' and 'popup conditionaly on entrance'.
    Q: Is it possible to set the popup option not on entrance but something like before leaving the filed or if a filed is left empty (OnDepart...)?
    Reason: Now, when I got focus to this field there is a popup form coming up, but I would like to do this - if I enter a number to this field then it will look up the closest match in other table, but if I don't enter anything and try to lose focus,then to have popup form.
    Thanks, Zeljko.
    www.zeljkobobic.com

Re: Protecting the finished app....

Does the "other" PC have a runtime version of ALpha5V8 or full design version? Just wondering.

Does your application use a startup form and/or an autoexec? If not, you should search the message board for threads on these keywords (autoexec, startup form) as well as hiding the control panel.

Search the documentation for "security" and you should also find some good information.

Comment

FYI, you should always password scripts and tables that are being distributed.
      Don't forget to make a backup copy first!.

Comment

I was thinking more constructive protection.
        Yes, I know about password protection, but is there any other way? I was developing with VB2005 and when I make an exe file I don't have to think about protecting anything, because not many people are familiar with reverse engeneering, decompiling, disassembling......
        I will check the other threads, but I would like to know if it is possible to protect it.
        P.S. I'm talking about full A5 design version on the other PC...
        www.zeljkobobic.com

Comment

The is no "compiler" for Alpha Five, thus there is no way to make your
          application into an .EXE.

Users/Clients, either need the runtime or full version of Alpha Five to use the application. I can see how you would desire the ability to make an .EXE, but
          in actuality, the password protection scheme works quite well. One further step
          you could do is to have the opening screen post a disclaimer that states
          anyone attempting to tamper with or alter the application in any way voids your support agreement.

Comment

Just one more note.

Neither MS Access nor Filepro (Filemaker) applications can be made into .EXE's either. :)

Comment

Well, ok then. You are saying that if I put a password in my app the other users with full A5 will not be able to see/edit my forms,reports etc.?
              Point me to some threads or help, please.
              Thanks, Zeljko.
              www.zeljkobobic.com

Comment

By-the-way, MS Access has a nice way for protection -
                making MDE file!
                MDE is impossible to edit and also impossible to reverse into MDB.Very simple, right? I don't know is there a similar easy conversion in Alpha5 V8 desktop?
                www.zeljkobobic.com

Comment

Try Cal Locklins registration routines. http://www.aimsdc.net/Tips_Funcs/aims_reg.htm

I know this isn't exactly what your looking for but Alpha do not offer a compiler and have stated they have no intention of offering one. Maybe they should work with a third party to introduce a protection scheme. One for the wish list maybe?

Geoff

Comment

For information on password protecting objects in Alpha Five, please refer to
                    The Alpha Five Help.

Tutorials
                    Getting Started with Alpha Five
                    Database Maintenance

"Once you have set a Master Password for a database, you can encrypt individual tables in the database. Once a table has been encrypted, you can use it normally within the database, but you will not be able to open the database in other contexts, such as with Microsoft Excel, or use it with other software programs that can read DBF files."

In addition, see the chapter, "Security for Your Database".
                    All Databases, Tables, Forms, Reports, Scripts and just about any other object can be password protected. This is all covered in Alpha Five Help.

Comment

Hi Zeljko,

Don't password protect any code unless you want to leave the script for others. It is better to compile it into a compiled library (AEX file) that you reference. The script/function passwords aren't needed if you use the compiled library and just get in the way of development.

Also use OPTION ENCRYPTED_TOKENS in the code which will make the AEX file harder to read.

If you take a look at my CSDA Code Utility's AEX file, you will find no useful information that I don't want a person to find.

If you want to protect code on layouts, or for operations, execute a global script or function that runs the same code and then compile it. In either case, don't use the same password for layouts as you use for operations and as you use for code. If a person breaks one, they are still locked out of the others.

And I don't normally recommend password protection on databases unless required for security purposes. It just locks up data needlessly and gets in the way.
                      Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                      Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                      New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
                      CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                      CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Has any one tried MoleBox (www.molebox.com) with A5? As a former FoxPro user, it seemed to work with most apps including runtimes.

I am new to A5 and still learning as I move from FileMaker to A5...

Comment

Originally posted by melmitts707 View Post
                          Has any one tried MoleBox (www.molebox.com) with A5? As a former FoxPro user, it seemed to work with most apps including runtimes.

I am new to A5 and still learning as I move from FileMaker to A5...
                          Mel

Interesting product. Do you have more experiences with this software that you can share?

Sometimes it's really good to get some new blood in the mix here. This is a great contribution.

Thanks
                          Al Buchholz
                          Bookwood Systems, LTD
                          Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                          Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                          Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                          When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                          "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                          Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

I think Mr.Perlow has most understood me.
                            I will check these few links.
                            When I was using Clipper S'87 it was easy-compile it and I had exe file. If I lost the source,I could use Valkiry to retrive the source.Later I started with Access,I switch the mdb into mde and my forms and reports are protected from being edited. Two years ago I started with VB and it was easy again.Make an install/setup and that's it.But here with A5 its a little bit confusing for me.Few months ago I spoke to James Stewart(member of Alpha team)about saving dbf files before I make update of database(in the case of changed forms,reports...etc.) and he strongly recommended not to do that! Well for us how has experience with other developing solutions,its rather confusing because database was always a place to keep data and other 'beauty' things are just to make the work with it more convenient. Even with Access you leave one mdb just with tables and use other for making queries,forms,reports,vb scripts....
                            For now I feel sorry that Alpha team didn't make something easy and effective regarding security(prevent app from being modified on other PC with A5 full installed).
                            'There is a password' you'll say, but Mr.Perlow knows what I mean. We'll see....
                            www.zeljkobobic.com

Comment

My experience with MoleBox and FoxPro is very limited. Basically you built the runtime app, then you add everything to the MoleBox file except the database files. I will see if I can experiment some this weekend...

Comment

Working...
                              X