Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How can I ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I ???

How can I set a field to look up data from another table without the drop down look up showing. I want the user to be abler to type the value in the field and have it fill in other fields wothout having the ability to use the look up feature. I have used closest match before but the problem is just that. If the value in the list does not match it picks the next closest value and fills in that information. I need an exact match and fill i n or no match.

Re: How can I ???

Hi Fred,

Will force pop up on mismatch work?
    Cheryl
    #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
    http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

Fred,
      Don't think it can be done within field rules....but

You can use one of the lookup() functions with a variable as the field. If needed I will dig up the example Tim Kiebert gave me to show how it is done.
      Mike

Comment

Fred,

As Mike mentioned you could use the lookup() functions based on the value the users enter into the input field.

At the form level you would code the OnChange or OnDepart events of the input field. The code would either set the value of the field objects on the form or set the field values at the table level and then refresh the form.

At the table field rule level you could use the OnWrote field event to populate the other fields , again using one of the the lookup functions to gather the data.

I would first test for the existence of the key value in the table you are looking up to and if not there then end the script. You can use A5_GET_RECORDS_IN_QUERY() or Exist() functions for this.
        Tim Kiebert
        Eagle Creek Citrus
        A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Fred,

In addition, instead of just having the script end if it did not exist is to have the script open a form to look for the value or to create it....like the field rules would do for you with the "Popup on Mismatch". Works great and you can customize any error messages this way which you cannot using field rule.
          Mike

Comment

WOW! Grate ideas! I have never learned to us much X basic yet but am going to start. For years I've been able to create some great apps using just the standard Alpha wizards and field rules. Nut times are a changing. I'm going to try to use each of these ideas and see which one works best. This is what maakes alpha so great and the most powerful feature of Alpha is the user group.

I'll let you know whice one works best.

Comment

Fred if you are used to using action scripting then start there using some of the object properties actions to set the values. Use the lookup functions within the actions as the expression for the value.

Then check out the xbasic behind it. It really isn't all that difficult. And since you have been using Alpha for a while you will probably have a good idea whats going on when you see it.

Good Luck
              Tim Kiebert
              Eagle Creek Citrus
              A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Thanks Tim,

I will try that.

Cheryl, I did try the "Pop up on mismatch but it still showed the drop down. I just wish there was a way to disable the drop down from showing but yet use the look up function.

My goal is to let the user enter a number in a field that should match the same number of a product in another list. If the numbers match then the app would use the look up function and fill in the other fields as well as tye part number field. If no match then they would enter a number and have to fill in the information manually. The field should only be populated when the numbers in both tables match.

Comment

Originally posted by rmssoftware View Post
                  Thanks Tim,

I will try that.

Cheryl, I did try the "Pop up on mismatch but it still showed the drop down. I just wish there was a way to disable the drop down from showing but yet use the look up function.

My goal is to let the user enter a number in a field that should match the same number of a product in another list. If the numbers match then the app would use the look up function and fill in the other fields as well as tye part number field. If no match then they would enter a number and have to fill in the information manually. The field should only be populated when the numbers in both tables match.
                  Quickbooks works this way when you enter in the Cust ID in an Invoice. You can pop up the list if you want, but it shows the closest matching Cust ID as the user types it. The problem with a product id is that it would not be as familiar to the user as a cust id might, and the user could accept the wrong item.

So it would depend on whether the user already knows the product id (working from a hard copy) or if they must first find it. And if they type in the wrong number, will the user be able to know it from the filled in data so they can correct it? The solution would seem to be where ever the least possible errors could occur. That is more important than the speed with which the user can enter the data.

Another idea:
                  Is there a field the user can fill in before the product id that could be used to limit the possible matches? I am thinking of a TYPE field perhaps? In the field rule OnWrite event for that field you could set a global variable that could be used to filter the lookup for the product id.
                  Last edited by MoGrace; 03-25-2008, 02:05 PM.
                  Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Thanks Robin, yes that is exactly the problem I'm facing. The user simoply types in the products code number and when it matches the next closest code he just hits enter and accepts it without understanding that it is wrong. So What I was hoping for is to have a field rule (lookup) that would fill if there was a match and not if no match and did not show the drop down icon that lets the user open the table. The goal is to stop the user fromopening the look up table and yet still allow the field rule to fill on a match. Still a lot of great ideas. here.

Comment

Re: How can I use lookup without a pop-up???

Fred,

sorry to be a PITA but I wanted to remind you and all onlookers that your title for this thread is no help at all in suggesting the topic. I skipped it several times but eventually clicked on the topic out of curiosity. I learned from the thread and am glad I took a look.

This is a general reminder for all of us who use these forums. Please remember to title your topic in a way that indicates the subject. In this case, perhaps something like "How can I use lookup without a pop-up?"

End of Moderator-speak.

Sean

Comment

Fred,

try this in field rules. If you type in the field a valid entity, it will fill the other fields. If what you typed in does not exist, it will popup. It uses a premade browse.
                        Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
                          Fred,

try this in field rules. If you type in the field a valid entity, it will fill the other fields. If what you typed in does not exist, it will popup. It uses a premade browse.
                          Dave, I don't think that will help Fred cause it will not let him enter a new value if there is no match found. What he needs is a script that checks the data entered against another table and then prompts the user to enter a new product id if none is found. Then a lookup can be offered to him or he can continue with a new product id.

It would help to see the tables...

Edit: Actually I see that you have permitted records to be added to the lookup table, but I think he wants to do that on his form.
                          Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

we do enter new zip codes all the time this way. It allows enter and edit from the form associated form on pop up.

If a zip code(in my case) happens to reference the wrong county(in FL my case), sales tax can be wrong. It is sometimes necessary to change the county and sometimes city or add a new zip code if it does not exist.

a shortcut sometimes taken is if the zip exists wrong, you can simply overwrite the filled in fields(not the lookup field) and go on about your work. If you go back into the lookup field it will revert back to the old data unless you change the info associated with that zip.
                            Last edited by DaveM; 03-26-2008, 12:05 PM.
                            Dave Mason
                            [email protected]
                            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                            X