Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Stock control over a network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock control over a network

I have an application that works flawlessly for me for my hire service stock control on one workstation.

Presently I hire goods to customers between two dates ie date of collection and date of return

I run a query of all bookings and mark a logical field true for all records that match. Then post the true result to a logical field in my stock table. At the bookings form I have a stock code lookup which has a filter to exclude all the records marked true so what we see is available stock for the given dates.

My problem is when I introduce another workstation. It also sets the same logical field to true so records are being filtered out that may be available.

Any thoughts on how to overcome this will be appreciated

Regards

John
    Failure makes improvements

Re: Stock control over a network

I don't think you need the logical field at all. Do the same thing you are doing but apply variables to filter out the records in the lookup (instead of the logical field). Then your other workstation(s) should remain unaffected.
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

How will the filter know which records to exclude. Booked stock has no dates set against it

John

Comment

Originally posted by John Keogh View Post
        How will the filter know which records to exclude. Booked stock has no dates set against it
        Then, how do you run a query to mark the records?
        Peter
        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

The query is run against all bookings a logical field is set to true and posted to the stock table. How can I achieve this with out the logical field. If I post the dates to date fields any other workstation will overwrite the dates. Unless I am missing something here I cant see how this will work without my logical field

John

Comment

Sorry John. Something is not getting through. I thought you had two date fields: date of collection and date of return? Maybe you need to explain your table structure in a little more detail. Are we talking about one table or two?
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

We are talking 2 tables.

A booked table and a stock table.

Booked has date of collection, date of return and a logical called "booked" which is set to true.

Stock has only the logical.

The posting is of the logical from the booked table to the stock table.

Then I filter out the "booked" in the stock table when the lookup is performed.

Works great with one workstation serious problems with more than one

John

Comment

I am sure there is a better way to do this, but it eludes me. I'd have to think really hard and that would hurt my head. So how about an alternative approach? Forget about the lookup. As I understand it, the goal is to see which stock items are available on a certain date. How about creating a 3rd table and writing to that? The table might be called Stock_Dates. Whenever you book a stock, using xbasic write all the individual dates for that period to a date field along w. the stock_id in the Stock_Dates table. Query the date or date range and that will give you items booked for those dates; send that to an array. Compare the array to the stock table and filter out the excluded records. Using xbasic, you can make this be seamless and generate an embedded browse view of available stock. Then pick your item ans write it to the bookings table for yor desired date. It is convoluted, but you can make it appear to be seamless...

(But, I'm sure there is a better way?)
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

I'm not sure I have the ability for this but I'll give it a go

John

Comment

Forget about the array (I'm thinking fast here which is how I make most of my mistakes). Write the values to a variable, then use the $ operator for your final query.

So assume you have a variable called vBooked. Assign the booked stock ids to that var with a space in between, so the contents of the var look like this:

vBooked = "1001 1003 1037"
                    where the nos represent stock_ids

Then your final filter might look like something like this:

query.filter = "(Stock_ID $ vBooked) = .F."
                    assuming stock_id is the name of the field in your stock table

So all the values that are not in vBooked will filter out, displaying available items for your dates of interest.

However, if you have thousands of booked stock items, you might have to do something a little different (due to var size limitations).
                    Peter
                    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Thanks for the help Peter

Unfortunately your solution is beyond my abilities.

How would I go about starting this

I am not asking you to do it for me just point me in the right direction. I enjoy the challenge of Alpha.

I had been thinking along the lines of appending stock code and the two date fields to a third table and building a filter on the dates similar to the one I use at present for my initial query.

Any thoughts on this approach

John

Comment

John,

Suggestion? Post your app here with some sample data or send it to one of the members who has time to look at it and I bet a wonderful solution will be in the works. Probably more solutions than you expect.
                        Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Hi Dave

Would it be the whole application or just the tables in question that I would post?

John

Comment

If you can seperate out the tables and any and all scripts forms, etc that could have ANY help or hurt to the needed operation, then fine. It is usually better to send the whole thing.

Describe in full detail the operation you need to accomplish and anything already in place that may need to be changed. Details are very important.

If you post it here, you will probably have several different solutions by The end of the day and they may vary a bunch.

Peter is one of the best on here with the type of thing you are trying to do, but others are great too.
                            Dave Mason
                            [email protected]
                            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Actually, John. I seem to remember that someone had a near identical problem recently. I never really read the thread but there were one, or possibly more, solutions posted. All of which were no doubt better than my convoluted approach. I think the thread ran 3-6 weeks ago, but my memory is somewhat unreliable with respect to time frames and such. I think it was in the v8 or v7 forum. If someone knows which thread it is, they might post a link here. I'd like to read it.

There are other ways to approach this too. I think Ira Perlow has a method where he copies or reconstructs tables locally on the fly, thus giving the user exclusive access to situations such as yours. But then again, Ira being Ira, his code is super-optimized for near instantaneous results. Thus, his solution, from a coding point of view is much more challenging than my dumb, brute-force approach.
                              Last edited by Peter.Greulich; 03-26-2008, 11:35 AM. Reason: typo
                              Peter
                              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X