Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

5 Different facilities on same Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 Different facilities on same Server

There are five hospitals on a server but data wise they are totally independent. Basically each hospital stands alone.

Plans are to go to 20 facilities on this same server but their IT Dept is asking if there is anyway they can just UPGRADE once when a new version is released. That is install the upgrade in ONE directory.

As things are set now, each hospital has its once program files/data & A5V8 runtime in its own folder. Works FINE no prob.

But when they have 20 facilities, they are not too excited about having to UPGRADE "20 different" times.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

dewayne "the non-programmer"

Re: 5 Different facilities on same Server

I have a similar situation, where we have multiple facilities(hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, etc.) Each facility is in its own folder, and ALL facilities have exactly the same program. I modifiy the program in a particular facility to account for minor differences needed for each individual facility. I have a folder called "DataOnly." Inside that folder there is a folder with the same name as each facility. Like:
    DataOnly
    ...fac1
    ...fac2
    ...facn

I have 3 batch files
    "DataOnly"
    "applytoall"
    "reversedata"

the first copies all the current dbf/fpt/cdx for each facility to the dataonly subfolders
    the second copies the first folder contents(the one I modified) to all the facility folders
    the third reverse copies the data back

now all have the same program, but with the correct data
    so long as I don't make table changes this is fast and efficient
    I can ADD a table or change field rules for a table and use it, but I can't modify a table(add a field, delete a field, etc.) and use it as is.

We currently have 5 active, but adding new ones as fast as we can train and set up, will end up with about 30.

We are accessing via T/S so nothing is shadowed.

I haven't yet, but plan to write a script that will automatically update all tables in all facilities when I make table changes. I would do this before running the above routine.

If you have 20 hospitals I would presume you are accessing via T/S, Citrix, or similar.
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by martinwcole View Post
      I have a similar situation, where we have multiple facilities(hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, etc.) Each facility is in its own folder, and ALL facilities have exactly the same program. I modifiy the program in a particular facility to account for minor differences needed for each individual facility. I have a folder called "DataOnly." Inside that folder there is a folder with the same name as each facility. Like:
      DataOnly
      ...fac1
      ...fac2
      ...facn

I have 3 batch files
      "DataOnly"
      "applytoall"
      "reversedata"

the first copies all the current dbf/fpt/cdx for each facility to the dataonly subfolders
      the second copies the first folder contents(the one I modified) to all the facility folders
      the third reverse copies the data back

now all have the same program, but with the correct data
      so long as I don't make table changes this is fast and efficient
      I can ADD a table or change field rules for a table and use it, but I can't modify a table(add a field, delete a field, etc.) and use it as is.

We currently have 5 active, but adding new ones as fast as we can train and set up, will end up with about 30.

We are accessing via T/S so nothing is shadowed.

I haven't yet, but plan to write a script that will automatically update all tables in all facilities when I make table changes. I would do this before running the above routine.

If you have 20 hospitals I would presume you are accessing via T/S, Citrix, or similar.
      Thanks for the reply. What is your paths for Target & Startin at a typical facility? Does each have its OWN A5 runtime folder? Obviously this does not change when the program files are revised unless we decide to install a newer runtime version.

I have tried many permutations but the app get stuck as it can not find the FORM for my main menu thus it goes a default form. My target path is wrong obviously or I don't have the data and program files in the correct folders.

This user has a WAN and as I mentioned in original post, it works 100% with the individual setups where each facility has the following:
      A5V8 runtime folder - holds runtime files
      application - holds the program files including ADB's & data for that facility

Does your setup have FIVE different program folders for each facility or is there a common one? If common, I am NOT sure how the app access' it.

Back to the drawing board to try a few more things. THANKS for the help!!!! It is appreciated.

DeWayne

Comment

Because WAN's are allegedly very slow, I have never used a WAN. You are obviously shadowing. I am not. All my users are connecting via Terminal Services, so everything is happening on the server.

Reading your post carefully, you dont't say if you are shadowing, but if the app is on more than one workstation at each hospital, I think you would have to shadow, and if you are shadowing, then the data is on the main server, not the workstation. Does this sound right? I would think that each individual facility would have its own shortcut, and the shortcut would specify the facility it was opening.

But as for the grief of updating the master copy of each facility's adb, that is in a separate folder for each facility, my approach would still work. But you would need access to the server, and have the batch files on the server.

My pathing looks like this:

Alpha (the base folder)
        .....A5V8 Runtime (folder)
        .....A5V8 (full version folder)
        .....TowsonRehab (folder)
        ..........fac1 (folder)
        ..........fac2 (folder)
        ..........facn (folder)
        ..........HomeOffice (folder)
        ..........Login (folder)
        ..........batchfile1
        ..........batchfile2
        ..........batchfile3

I'm not sure if you have access to their server with read/write privileges. I have 24/7 access.

If I make changes to the basic program on my computer, I backup their data as I previously described, copy the new version to the appropriate facility folder on the server, and then run the batch files to update all facilities to match, and then copy back their data.

My users login via the login program, where they pick the facility they want to log on to, which opens that facility and closes the login. But that approach would need amending to work in a shadowed version, since the shadow can't see anything above or outside itself - only below (in a sub folder).

But if you can get 24/7 read/write access to the main server, YOU would do all the updates yourself, and the next time a user logged on, it would refresh the shadow, since you would bump the optimization number.

Unfortunately, a big hospital cluster like the one you are working for usually has their own IT department, and won't let you do what I am describing. And when and if you make table changes (add or change a field), it gets much more complicated.

If the app is a 24/7 app, then you need to build in a way to "shutdown the network" - which would warn users the system is about to close, close all their programs, and kick them off, and prevent them from getting back on until you turn it back on.

If you have some kind of software like PCAnywhere or similar, so that we could both be on a computer at the same time, I would be glad to help you maybe unravel and get setup for one facility, and then you could do the rest yourself. But I think you must have access to their server.
        972 524 8714
        [email protected]

Comment

I have a similar situation with a client that curently has 8 independent copies of the same application on the same server. All users a on a LAN, but the updating situation is the same as yours. In my case an individual user might run several or all of the 8 databases, and even have them all open at the same time on an individual workstation.

There is only one runtime program folder on each workstation and all the system paths are default settings. I open one database and let Alpha create a desktop shortcut for it. Do same for other databases. Copied the shortcuts to the server. Then I can copy the shortcuts to individual workstations as needed. Never a problem with paths.

From the same runtime directory you can launch as many instances of A5 as you want as long as you don't exceed the runtime count for an individual database.

Bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Parker View Post
            I have a similar situation with a client that curently has 8 independent copies of the same application on the same server. All users a on a LAN, but the updating situation is the same as yours. In my case an individual user might run several or all of the 8 databases, and even have them all open at the same time on an individual workstation.

There is only one runtime program folder on each workstation and all the system paths are default settings. I open one database and let Alpha create a desktop shortcut for it. Do same for other databases. Copied the shortcuts to the server. Then I can copy the shortcuts to individual workstations as needed. Never a problem with paths.

From the same runtime directory you can launch as many instances of A5 as you want as long as you don't exceed the runtime count for an individual database.

Bill.
            The workstation or W/S's in a hospital would ONLY need to have access to their facilites data on the File Server. The count on the number of runtimes running concurrently would very quickly exceed the allowable max of 10.

Maybe each facility needs their own "A5V8 runtime"?

My problem is the user having to UPGRADE the program files MULTI times when we send them an application upgrade. Easy for a couple users but big prob if an IT Dept is having to upgrade 20 to 30 copies of the SAME program files.

dewayne

Comment

Originally posted by dchiass View Post
              Maybe each facility needs their own "A5V8 runtime"?
              No. You only want one copy of the runtime installed on a workstation.

The workstation or W/S's in a hospital would ONLY need to have access to their facilites data on the File Server.
              Data is always stored just on the server.

My problem is the user having to UPGRADE the program files MULTI times when we send them an application upgrade. Easy for a couple users but big prob if an IT Dept is having to upgrade 20 to 30 copies of the SAME program files.
              There is the A5v8 PROGRAM, one on each workstation. You won't be upgrading to a newer build of A5v8, but if you upgrade to A5v9 then each workstation needs to be updated. Certainly it would be possible for the IT department to create a SMS package to automatically push the updates to workstations, but that is probably not likely.

Then there is your APPLICATION files, data and dictionaries. That will exist only on the server, one folder for each of your facilities. If you update the application, just copy the "dictionaries only" to each of the (5?) folders and all users will automatically see the changes. This also works if you are shadowed.

Bill.

Comment

Originally posted by martinwcole View Post
                Because WAN's are allegedly very slow, I have never used a WAN. You are obviously shadowing. I am not. All my users are connecting via Terminal Services, so everything is happening on the server.

Reading your post carefully, you dont't say if you are shadowing, but if the app is on more than one workstation at each hospital, I think you would have to shadow, and if you are shadowing, then the data is on the main server, not the workstation. Does this sound right? I would think that each individual facility would have its own shortcut, and the shortcut would specify the facility it was opening.

But as for the grief of updating the master copy of each facility's adb, that is in a separate folder for each facility, my approach would still work. But you would need access to the server, and have the batch files on the server.

My pathing looks like this:

Alpha (the base folder)
                .....A5V8 Runtime (folder)
                .....A5V8 (full version folder)
                .....TowsonRehab (folder)
                ..........fac1 (folder)
                ..........fac2 (folder)
                ..........facn (folder)
                ..........HomeOffice (folder)
                ..........Login (folder)
                ..........batchfile1
                ..........batchfile2
                ..........batchfile3
                i noticed the Rehab.. Are you doing anything with FIM Scoring?
                Creating Healthcare Work-Flow Solutions Since 2005

Comment

not sure what FIM scoring is - that app is for a company that manages about 200 techs/aids/nurses that perform Physical/Occupational/Speech therapy and float among the several facilities.

they all connect remotely to our server via T/S. has been running about 2 years, now.

we bill the facilities and medicare, so all data is screened to meet medicare rules as it is entered, and so far we catch all errors, KX's and Caps. So there is very little the billing people have to do except push buttons.
                  972 524 8714
                  [email protected]

Comment

"The Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is a widely accepted scale used to measure the functional abilities of patients undergoing rehabilitation. Scores at the extremes of this scale correlate with discharge disposition, while midrange scores are less well understood. "

general idea... basically the nurses have to document what they did with the patient in terms of rehabilitation and the patient's status. They calculate a score based upon observations and patient status'. This is then reported to a site called Uniform Data System (UDS) that also posts to Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).

I saw a demo of a program that didn't seem beyond the capabilities of Alpha and it is based upon Medical Treatment Pathways...where basicallly a question is asked and subsequent questions/answers are based upon the previous question. Based upon those q/a's a score is derived.

I'm still learning the in's and out's but it appears to be an area of developmental interest.

I myself develop for the healthcare industry in areas where other programs have a void thus enhancing the user experience in the whole computing picture.

Several Electronic Medical Record (EMR) systems exist but all are missing something the clinic needs. Alpha has allowed me to fill this void by tying into database backends and providing the solutions they require.

Best regards,
                    Omar
                    Creating Healthcare Work-Flow Solutions Since 2005

Comment

The company does not collect that information, at least not with my software. They are primarily interested in screening the data as entered, to keep billing kickbackups at zero or close to zero, and billing the correct amount based on cpt codes and related rules.
                      972 524 8714
                      [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by omagarc View Post
                        "The Functional Independence Measure (FIM) is a widely accepted scale used to measure the functional abilities of patients undergoing rehabilitation. Scores at the extremes of this scale correlate with discharge disposition, while midrange scores are less well understood. "

general idea... basically the nurses have to document what they did with the patient in terms of rehabilitation and the patient's status. They calculate a score based upon observations and patient status'. This is then reported to a site called Uniform Data System (UDS) that also posts to Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).

I saw a demo of a program that didn't seem beyond the capabilities of Alpha and it is based upon Medical Treatment Pathways...where basicallly a question is asked and subsequent questions/answers are based upon the previous question. Based upon those q/a's a score is derived.

I'm still learning the in's and out's but it appears to be an area of developmental interest.

I myself develop for the healthcare industry in areas where other programs have a void thus enhancing the user experience in the whole computing picture.

Several Electronic Medical Record (EMR) systems exist but all are missing something the clinic needs. Alpha has allowed me to fill this void by tying into database backends and providing the solutions they require.

Best regards,
                        Omar

Comment

Originally posted by omagarc View Post

................off
                          Morning. Maybe instead of discussing a very off topic subject, it might make more sense to EMail Mr. Cole directly via his website. That way it saves bandwidth and my original post does not get off totally off-track. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X