Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Windows 8 compatability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows 8 compatability

Sandy,

You can set a printer up on any computer and share it. Then set up a printer to use the shared one. I have a printer on my win 7 that I use from my xp3, win 8 and an old vista laptop. If you have a good switch, you can possibly hook a printer straight to it. I am using a wired printer which I could use for that. I broke my big wireless one, but could have used it too. The newer printers have wireless and are well equipped for server mode. Imagine a printer with no wires that every one can print to? I also only use Epson and an Okidata for large reports. The oki 320T is hooked to one computer, but is set up to print from 3 others as well.

The items I reset was an error to start with. I am assuming v11 tried to redo a form when I opened it in development mode. That started it rolling. I had code in that first app from many years ago, so as I was trying to find the one(as far as I could tell), I just kept bringing it all up to date. One benefit, It seems to be faster now.
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

<<sigh>> We had a lovely new wifi AIO - until IT disabled the network.

This app still has code from before graphic fields or tabbed forms, before version 5 at least. One index had to be slightly modified for the version 5 upgrade, but otherwise the app just sails through the upgrades. The only drawback is I am not forced into rebuilding so we don't notice new features. All software problems should be so evil!

Comment

Dave, Thanks for the comments. I guess I'll have to check out v11 before I upgrade my two old computers. I hate upgrading. Unlearning major points is tough, and defies logic. (ctrl-d) should be insert date not delete. For the first year I used v8, I deleted records right & left because to get to old records (not brought forward to v8) I had v5 on the computer too.
        Thanks again,
        Joyce

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Garrett View Post
          <<sigh>> We had a lovely new wifi AIO - until IT disabled the network.

This app still has code from before graphic fields or tabbed forms, before version 5 at least. One index had to be slightly modified for the version 5 upgrade, but otherwise the app just sails through the upgrades. The only drawback is I am not forced into rebuilding so we don't notice new features. All software problems should be so evil!
          Sandy, are you saying you kept Alpha v8 when you upgraded to Win8 with few issues, or you upgraded to a higher version of Alpha? For my first year - year and a half of using v8, I was mad at myself for upgrading because I found I was able to run v5 on every computer I've had since. I have not reinstalled it since I last did a hard drive clean & reformat. I wonder how difficult it would be to shove my data back into v5. I used to love it, now I'm not so happy.

Comment

V5 was a very good version as long as it lasted. If you have redone anything in v8, it probably will not run in v5.

I was able to run v7 - v9 in windows 7 with some changes in how it was installed. win8 is a whole new ball game and future os versions may make it even harder. I expect MS will come with a new version in short order. That may be scary for v11, but suspect it will be do-able.
            Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Joyce, I did not upgrade to Windows 8, just bought a new system (and returned it in a couple of days). I did install our current v8 runtime app - it went the same as for Windows 7. There are major issues installing in Win7, of course, but we are used to them now.

I also installed A5v11 under Windows 7 and could find no differences in our app - yet. Mind you I'm not a skilled coder so we don't have fancy functions or scripts. The guys here helped with our best stuff, and there are samples in the forums.

You can simply use your old or current DBF files in either Alpha version - or a lot of other programs. The data is safe except for FTP (memos and pix). Forms and scripts are a different matter, so we've just been lucky.

Dave, what differences did you find installing between Windows 7 and Windows 8? Are you using a separate installer?

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Garrett View Post
                Joyce, I did not upgrade to Windows 8, just bought a new system (and returned it in a couple of days). I did install our current v8 runtime app - it went the same as for Windows 7. There are major issues installing in Win7, of course, but we are used to them now.

I also installed A5v11 under Windows 7 and could find no differences in our app - yet. Mind you I'm not a skilled coder so we don't have fancy functions or scripts. The guys here helped with our best stuff, and there are samples in the forums.

You can simply use your old or current DBF files in either Alpha version - or a lot of other programs. The data is safe except for FTP (memos and pix). Forms and scripts are a different matter, so we've just been lucky.

Dave, what differences did you find installing between Windows 7 and Windows 8? Are you using a separate installer?
                If I lost my memo field, I might as well start over from scratch in a different program, are you saying bringing Memo forward to W7 is a problem? if I end up starting over, it won't be in Alpha because anyone local that I call for help, has never heard of it. I wish I could just buy an inventory/catalog program for antiques. Not antique mall.

Comment

Originally posted by Joyce M View Post
                  If I lost my memo field, I might as well start over from scratch in a different program.
                  I'm saying it might be a problem to open a memo field in a brand new program like Excel. I've never actually done it although Google hints it would be possible with a separate utility. Our memos have been splendid through all Alpha versions and upgrades.

Frankly I have never found a technical help community as generous as this one, and I spent quite a few years as a Microsoft MVP. These guys never give up, but it helps when I do my share and make a small working model of the question.

Comment

I am assuming I need to do act in this order before I'm forced to upgrade either A5v8 or XP:
                    1. Upgrade v8 to v11
                    I read in one of these posts that I should be able to open my existing data in v11. Did I hear that right?
                    And it should recognize the "sets".
                    How about indexes & reports?
                    2. Upgrade windows to 7 or 8 and everything should work?

Thanks for all your input!

Comment

Upgrading Windows 7 to 8 is a whole different kettle of fish and has nothing to do with or effect on A5v8. I haven't actually tried every single part of our app under Windows 8, but everything we saw was just fine.

Upgrading A5v8 to A5v11 was also completely painless. The whole application survived in tact.

Something will go wrong at the worst possible moment, of course, but it hasn't happened yet.

Comment

Going from 8 to 11 should(an I emphasize "should") be an easy trip. Upt you win 7 should also be painless. win 8 and a5v8 won't work well. Most things are fine, others have problems.

Be sure you have a full and complete backup before trying anything like this.

Dave
                        Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I just tried to install version 8 on a windows 8 machine yesterday.

I had no trouble at all with the installation or setting up the shortcuts to an application.

Where I did have a problem was with the toolbars. For some reason, the more I navigated around the application, the
                          toolbars would hang. What I mean is that I would press a toolbar button to close the current form, nothing would happen
                          for maybe 10 seconds. Then the form would close.

The buttons on the forms seemed OK, just the buttons on the toolbars.

This was my first hands on with Windows 8 and I approached it with an open mind.

At this time, I really do not like it at all.
                          Alpha 5 Version 11
                          AA Build 2999, Build 4269, Current Build
                          DBF's and MySql
                          Desktop, Web on the Desktop and WEB

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

Coming back to the thread, I believe that win8 came out very strict and then did a bit of a backup to ease older application. MS does it with windows updates. Several months ago, it would be almost impossible to install older versions of alpha on a win 8 machine.

MS did this several OS versions back by locking the data if it was in program files and then backed off, in win7 and win 8 it is something we all know not to do.
                            Dave Mason
                            [email protected]
                            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Clicking on the A5 Icon says I can't run this program as A5ACTION.DLL is missing from your computer. I had set W8.1 to run in the Vista compatibility mode. A5 runs fine under Vista on my other laptop

Comment

Steve,

I just installed the v8 runtime on Win 8.1 and it opens databases fine - after letting windows set the compatibility mode. Before that it said it was not licensed for the OS. If you are missing a dll try re-installing. Always right click the install file and run as administrator.

Bill.

Comment

Working...
                                X