Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Crash first time and steady

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crash first time and steady

I have lived with crashes under W95 and W98 (sometimes) for a long time but today was something new.

I have been using a form and a SET for well over a year to provide manual corrections to my Inventory DB. Today, without doing one thing to the SET or the form it crashed every time I tried to enter data in the region. A crash at this point had never occured previously over the last many months.

I tried to copy the form and use that. I tried rebuilding part of the set. I detached one database from the set and it didn't crash but when I put it back it crashed. I tried copying the form across the network from the back up form but it crashed.

I eventually built the form from scratch and it worked OK. This was on my "stable W98" PC.

It is a great pity that there are no debugging tools,or at least none I know of, to put patches in the SW to understand why we get crashes. I could have used them today.

The system is A4V6.2 under W98. Previously I have had nearly error free operation on a daily bases for many months or even years. We had no changes that I know of except the growth of the databases.

I wonder which gremlin found its way into my PC or could the size of the data be affecting things?

RE: Crash first time and steady

Hi Steve
    Been there many times. The majority of my work is now migrated to A5, but still use the dos version for some things. I too, in 1 set occasionally get the crash when trying to enter a new record. Best guess, thru trial and error, on the last record I go into change mode, then save it.(you don't really have the change anything) I then erase the search index that may be still attached. Usually (I use that term loosely) it will accept a new entry after doing those 2 things. Sometimes I have to do the above, close it and restart it. (make sure there is no search index attached after the restart). Best guess is that it has nothing to do with the size of dbf, more with a slight corruption in the database and its relationship to the index, especially a search index. But again, I am guessing.

Mick

Comment

I found that you need to update your indexes on a regular basis. I've had trouble with certain Search/Sort indexes that cause crashes. I've tried rewriting the Search/Sort and occationally, it still crashes.

Certain applications that I have developed never crash, and others randomly do.

I've been trying to learn Alpha 5 and I'm having as many crashes using Alpha 5 as I ever have using Alpha 4. The problem with Alpha 5, I have to reboot the computer to clear the corruption residing in the memory.

I have a P II 333MHz with 128 meg of ram. I have almost nothing else running and I'm still having problems. I hope version 5 is more stable.

Ron
      Alpha 5 Version 11
      AA Build 2999, Build 4269, Current Build
      DBF's and MySql
      Desktop, Web on the Desktop and WEB

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

Thanks for comments. I couldn't believe things today that I must have erased the new form that I had built and left the old one. (Thats the trouble of rushing to get home).

So I was back to square one today. Alas, a form that I use more often, my quote form did the same thing to me today. I must have used it more than a 3000 times and never a problem. I did rebuild my indices in all the concerned DBs yesterday but I never saw any sign of a problem.

One way around the problem was to use the default form in each case. Knowing what I was trying to do it was not too difficult to creat a nwe entry. Then by just using the old form for viewing I could check that all the data was properly entered. I am not sure if the use of the default form has been suggested in the past but it does seem to be an alternative if you know what you are doing.

Steve

Comment

Steve,

It sounds like the problem is the custom form.

I would check any calculated fields that display on the custom form. Next, you need to check any field rules. You may find something that has changed.

Actually, something must have changed only because this form worked so well for so long and now it doesn't.

Ron
          Alpha 5 Version 11
          AA Build 2999, Build 4269, Current Build
          DBF's and MySql
          Desktop, Web on the Desktop and WEB

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

It started to work again. My guess is that a DB must have got corrupted but was rebuilt.

In looking for the fault I thought the first thing I did was to rebuild all the DBs. However, maybe there was one I missed.

I don't think it was calc field as I had not touched them.

It was most weird.

Comment

Working...
            X