Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

DUPLICATING RECORDS IN A SEPERATE DATABASE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DUPLICATING RECORDS IN A SEPERATE DATABASE

Hi Alpha 4 users, I need some assistance. ...can you help me? I am using Alpha 4V6. DOS, Windows 98. I have four separate identical databases. Each of these databases are used for storing records for separate corporations. Each of the four databases have identical database structures, fields, field lengths, and indexes. The only thing different in each of the databases is the actual data. Although each record is unique in each database, about 20% of these records contain identical data in a field known as "FOLIO_NO", which is each record's identification number. In addition, this idential data in the FOLIO_NO field may contain identical data in some or all four. databases. On a daily basis, we add new records as needed, into each individual database. As necessary, we also updated data into our existing records.

MY GOAL: I would like to create either a fifth database, or a SET, that will combine the records from all four databases together so that I can view all combined records. In addition, each time we add or update a record in ANY of our four databases, we would like that information to automatically become part of the fifth database or set, for later review and editing.

QUESTION: How can I set up a fifth database or SET that will contain all of the combined records of all my four existing databases, so that evwrytime I creat a new record, or edit an existing record in anyh of my existing four databases, I can automatically "post" or "add" that same information to a fifth database to be known as "NOTES" Database or Set, using the FOLIO_NO field as the "link." I believe that if I make a Set and even if the "Folio Number" is the linking field, they only records that will be displayed are those that share identical FOLIO_NO data. This will not serve my purpose.

How do I link all four databases together so that I can combine, view and edit ALL records by FOLIO_NO and still be able to add new records at any time.

I would appreciate any help you can give this beginner.

RE: DUPLICATING RECORDS IN A SEPERATE DATABASE

I'm not sure I understand your queston fully but you could:

1. Create a new database called Header (or any other name) to hold the field FOLIO_NO which is unique to each company. I would also suggest adding company name. Enter the four unique identifiers into the Folio_no field.

2. Create a duplicate of one of your current databased (which are all the same). Then append all the data from the other three. So all the company are combined with a unique identifier of FOLIO_NO.

2. Create a SET structure using Header for your parent database and add the append database from step 2 above as your child (one to many) Set referential integrity to Folio_No.

Now when you select the folio number in the header, all the records show in the child.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Hi Howard

If you have a set and add a new record in the parent a matching record will be created in the child.

So if you want to maintain separate tables but want to view data for all the tables when needed, I would suggest the following.

Duplicate one of your Tables (Unified.dbf). Append all of the records from the four tables to Unified.Dbf. Next create 4 sets using Unified.dbf as the child in each set.

Now you would have to work out which field to index on and the links, but this might help you get started. Thomas may understands you question better than me, be aware that in a one to many set depending on the number of records in the child table performance can take a big hit. Escpecially if you have a viewable region for the Child Table (Unified.DBf)and you could hit the 10,000 record limit in your region.

Hope our suggestions help.

Robert

Comment

Hi Tom:

Many thanks for your suggestions.

What I am really trying to accomplish is to automatically duplicate the data in the FOLIO_NO field every time I add a new record. this way I can create a seperate database with on the FOLIO_NO data. Then I can use this FOLIO_no as my Parent in a Set that I will create. Thereafter, any time there is a matching folio number in any of my four databases, it will automatically be displayed in the Set. However, it appears that I cannot "automatically" post the data in my FOLIO_NO field to another fifth database ?

..... any suggestions ??

thanks for your response

Howie

Comment

Hi Robert

Many thanks for your response.

I just sent Tom a reply to my problem, and perhaps you can offer some suggestions.

I am trying to "automatically" post just my FOLIO_NO field data to a new fifth database that will only contain the data from my FOLIO_NO field. Thereafter, I will create a Set using the FOLIO_NO field as my Parent.

..... any assistance will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you,

Howie

Comment

Hi Howard

Is "FOLIO_NO" field the only field in your table?

Two ways I know to link 4 Tables in a set so you can view all the records is to have a Parent table with the 4 tables linked "one-to-One" as a child of the other. i.e.

Parent
            |->Table1
            |->Table2
            |->Table3
            |->Table4

Have you thought of creating a Single table with a single field and single record. This table would be your master and the value would be matched by matching field for every record in all 4 tables.

Parent table->"All" field->value = 1

4 tables with "All" field. Every record would have a value of 1 for the all field.

You would then create a set "One-TO-Many" using the "ALL" field in the parent and child database.

Parent "All" field to Child "All" field
            |=>Table1
            |=>Table2
            |=>Table3
            |=>Table4

Hope this gives you some ideas. My suggestions aren't to different from Thomas.

Comment

Hi Robert

Thank you for your input.

I will try your suggestions.

Thnk you,

Howie

Comment

Working...
              X