Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Printing Problems V7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printing Problems V7

I have searched through the message board and have not found an answer to the problem I am experiencing with Version 7.

I have many reports in the Typeset A4 format. These generally contain bar-codes which we use in our warehouse, and are a requirement.

Therefore, I want to use the MS DOS Typeset Printing mode at all times. The problem is that when I select a typeset printer and typeset report format I get an error when I print which reads that the printer has been assigned to Windows, and do I want to dedicate it to MS DOS. If I choose Y, dedicating the printer to DOS, I find that Alpha Four V7 is locked into DOS, unable to alt-tab back to Windows (95).

Maybe I am looking for the best of both worlds, but is it possible to permanently have the printer dedicated to MS DOS when I am in A4V7, but have the ability to alt-tab back to Windows, where I can use other Windows programs and also print in Windows mode?

Is this possible? Can I configure A4V7 to do this?

Albert Cain

RE: Printing Problems V7

Albert;
    For sure, to use typeset mode, you must set up a DOS printer. Why don't you set up your existing (windows) printer in DOS and then use it whenever you need to do typeset printing. (This assumes, of course, that your printer has a compatable DOS driver for A4v7).

Duncan

Comment

Thanks, Duncan. I will try it and advise.

Al Cain

Comment

Duncan:

I tried what you suggested but it did not work. I placed an HP 895 CSE printer as a configured DOS printer. I then attempted to print my typeset form. In the typeset mode there are only a specific number of printers listed which are available to choose from. I chose the HP Deskjet, which is the nearest to the 895 CSE in emulation I think. The result was the same as I experienced before. When printing I was told that there was a device conflict, and asked if I wanted to dedicate the printer to DOS. I chose Yes and this caused an error in printing. I then retried and it printed acceptable typeset quality in DOS Typeset mode, but it locked me into DOS, unable to alt-tab out of Alpha into Windows. This device error occurs on the first print attempt, resulting in aborting of the job. When you try the second time apparently the system is set with DOS printing as the default and it works well in DOS from then on. But,again, Windows is locked out.

My real problem is the bar codes. I can print fine in the windows mode to my Lexmark laser printers and to the HP inkjet printer, but I cannot get the barcodes which I do get in the typeset Alpha Four DOS mode.

If you have any more ideas, or if I implemented your suggestion incorrectly, please let me know. I appreciate your help.

Al Cain

Comment

That DON'T Work. Like Al Said. It must Be a DOS Printer Not a Windows Printer set up in DOS. It MUST be in the list of DOS printers in the A4 Program. Not many around these and doubt if one can be bought. Time to go to A5 like I did which I put off as long as I could or wait for a update which I doubt if it ever happens. Was suprized when V7 came. Could have got A5 V4.5 for the same price and fixed ALL the printing issues talked about. ALL the fonts your heart desires in fact EVERYTHING IS in FONTS. Still avaliable too and a FREE trial version on the Alpha main page. Programing is SO much easier. I was scared of X-basis but YOU DO NOT have to write all these codes, it does it ALL FOR YOU. Not all the BOTTLE Feeding, just DRAG & DROP everything. And LOTS of HELP on the message board too.
          So do yourself a favor and give the trial a whirl. Complete books in the trial that are in the full version. Last one is A5 V5 Run 266.

Ken

Happy Holidays to all.

Ken

Comment

Duncan:

I appreciate your help. I wanted to pass this on. Being unsuccessful with the Typeset mode using the HP 895CSE at my office, I installed V7 on a computer at home with an Epson Stylus Color II printer. I also downloaded and installed the patch (the 2MB patch, not the 7.01 patch, which was already installed). The typeset printing is working! When I return to the office I will install the patch on that computer and retry. The computers are identical, and both are configured with Windows 95. There should be an answer and maybe it is the patch. Anyway, thanks, since I was running out of hope. The fact that yours worked OK kept me going.

Merry Christmas

Al Cain

Comment

That is a DOS Printer is the reason it works. It WILL WORK WITH ANY DOS Printer.

Ken

Comment

I do believe that there are only 2 reasons to upgrade to Alpha 4V7.

1. Your operating system is going to be Windows XP and you need to restructure your databases.

2. You wish to use a printer that does not support DOS printing nor uses the PCL printer code.

Otherwise, there is no reason to upgrade to Ver 7.

We just bought some brand new HP Laserjets, model 1200's for $360.00 or there abouts and they do a fantastic job of printing from Alpha 4V6. We didn't even have to load the windows software and no where on the box did it mention anything about supporting DOS printing. We print mainly typeset reports and this printer spits the pages out at a blazing speed. We used the same control codes as the HP Laserjet 5L which this printer replaced.

Now, even if you have upgraded to Alpha 4V7, if you are not using a windows only printer, then you do not need to load the portion of Alpha 4V7 that enables the windows printers. This is all covered in the documentation that comes with the software.

To verify if your printer will print from DOS:

Bring up the MS-DOS prompt window.
                type DIR and press enter.
                type DIR>LPT1 (Note, if your printer is connected to LPT2, then type DIR>LPT2, etc.)
                Press enter
                Your printer should print whatever you saw when you typed DIR and pressed enter.

If this happens, then your printer is capable of printing from DOS and should work just fine with Alpha.

If this doesn't work, your printer may not be configured to print from DOS or it's a windows only printer.
                Alpha 5 Version 11
                AA Build 2999, Build 4269, Current Build
                DBF's and MySql
                Desktop, Web on the Desktop and WEB

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

Al;
                  I'm glad you seem to have your problem solved. Sorry, but I have been out of the loop for a few days. But I would also like to make a few comments on the postings that Ken and Ron made.

I run a small business, and quite frankly A4v6 is the main engine that propels it. I have tried twice before to switch to A5 (v1 and v3) and have never had the time to devote to A5 to be able to uncouple myself from A4. In fact, I first heard that A4v7 was coming when I was on the first "Get Outta DOS" seminar run by Susan Bush and Francie. They told me it was coming. At our office we run a mixture of Win platforms on our peer to peer network (most , some Win 95, and even some Win 3.11!) Because of the A4 issues with XP I have avoided upgrading to Win 2000 or XP. But, I knew I was going to need a new laptop this past spring, and being pretty sure that it would have to be with XP, I bought one copy of A4 v7 to "play" around with it. But low and behold, this spring I was able to buy a new Thinkpad with Win 98. And, most of our printing is done on HP Laserjets (4100, 1200, even an old HP III) and the old A4V6 HPIII/IV/V drivers work perfectly on these new machines. As Ron so correctly points out, because I'm on Win 98 and Laserjets, I don't need V7. On my machine at the office I have both V6 and V7 and use them interchangeably, with no problems. So, I still do not understand your problem switching into other Windows programmes from v7. I have no problem. (Also, for colour typesetting I use some HP Inkjets, also with no problems)

But also, as Ken Fleming is saying, there will come a time. I have installed A5 v5, and am beginning to try and learn it. Long term there is no choice (I say that without knowing what the A4 V8 features and benefits will be ... and Alpha has told me there will be a V8). Everything you read about A5 V5 says that this is when us old A4'ers must finally switch. So far, it's not been as easy as I'd hoped (sorry Ken!), but I'm going to perservere. So, in summary, I think all the above posts have been good advice. You may get along without A5 for now, but eventually ....

Duncan

Comment

It takes a while to get the hang of it but once you get you will NEVER GO BACK. I have NOT tried V5 and may never. Ver. 4.5 is Very easy to get use to. I was scared of what they called the Learning curve & X-basic so I stayed from it for years and did not want rebuild all my forms but am having a BLAST doing it, and it is SO much Nicer. Some said it took a year for them to accomplish anything. I spent about 30 days learning the basics and playing around with it. Now it is NOT hard at all in just 3 months I have the BULL by the horns. The more I use it the MORE I Like it Nothing like A4. EVERYTHING or Almost Everything is done with the CLICK OF the mouse and you write nothing Right Click on a button in design mode and select action and it gives you a list and writes EVERYTHING FOR YOU with just a CLICK OR two that you can think of. Not like A4 having to type in ALL The keystrokes and set path which was NOT easy. Trigger keys is and setting paths is gone which was hard to get the hang of�. Choose SEND KEYS, you PRESS the key OR combination of and it puts it there for you what ever keyS you press. NO SELECTING from a list & getting it wrong. Forms are so easy to make too. Setting TAB order is so Simple, instead of the L F C{f2}P and then{f4} and move and Try and miss and miss and take forever to get it right It is Simple as One click to open the design of the form Click on {Arrange} then on {Tab Order} and CLICK them in the order you want with numbers showing you what order they will be in .NOT all the guessing of where it will fall going back and Trial and ERROR�.I too WAS HARD SET on A4 and thought there was NO better way. Give the FREE trial a whirl on the ALPHA.COM main page a Run Its FREE. Full manuals and training manuals with a full chapter of training is included that takes you through all the basics & gets you Started. TRY IT YOU MAY LIKE IT, I Did�.Like someone said � SOONER OR LATER� so go ahead and give the trail a whirl. It may change your mind too. So why UPGRADE to a product that is NOT up to date. DOS IS DEAD!!!!When you can get something BETTER for the SAME Price.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                    X